Vololights

Freedom Outlaw

Freedom Outlaw

Does anyone have any experience with these? I was going to buy Hyperlights but the dealer is steering me towards this product.

They appear to be relatively new, the dealer told me they were plug and play and estimated 1/2 hour for installation. They are really pushing this product and it does seem intriguing with the deceleration aspect.

http://vololights.com/

Thanks.

Vololights were written up in the January 2015 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News. Their big advantage is that they illuminate when your bike decelerates for any reason, be it brake application or engine braking. However, since they are independent of your brake light circuit, they do not illuminate your brake light during engine braking, so you get one light pattern for brake application and another for engine braking. Could be confusing to drivers following you.

I Have Hyperelites on my RT and love them. I'm not sure I would want to follow you with the Vololights until I knew how much of a deceleration it took for it to come on. But, YES ... Very intriguing.

I used to use Hyperlights, but now use the SkeneDesign P3 lights -- larger, brighter and flicker when in running light mode -- *highly* effective.

I am interested in these because they advertise that engine braking would trigger lights on the rear of my bike. I use engine braking a lot, perhaps too much, but it would help me signal those behind me of my intentions.

If you installed these in a CanBus bike, please post your observations.

Mark,

It shouldn't matter if the bike has a ZFE or not. The Vololights only get power from the host bike, but no signals, so you could wire them to the battery through a relay and bypass the ZFE altogether.

Freedom Outlaw
Vololights were written up in the January 2015 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News. Their big advantage is that they illuminate when your bike decelerates for any reason, be it brake application or engine braking. However, since they are independent of your brake light circuit, they do not illuminate your brake light during engine braking, so you get one light pattern for brake application and another for engine braking. Could be confusing to drivers following you.

Hello Testpilot:

I get MCN but do not keep old issues. This is what they said in regard to illumination, I pulled this off MCN's website:

We took things

a step further by wiring our Vololights

unit directly to the license plate lamp,

then hiding all the wiring inside the

lamp housing on the rear fender for a

very sano look. Once wired and bolted

in place, an included magnet is waved

behind the lower LED bar to config

-

ure and activate the system. The same

magnet can also be used to disable the

flashing function, making the LEDs

turn solid when activated, for regions

with laws against flashing brake lights.

Not sure if that is exactly what you meant but it seems as though they can be programmed to add as an additional brake lights.

Also:

I haven’t been rear-ended lately, so

it’s hard to prove that the Vololights are

working to protect me, but in testing,

they send a strong message to follow

-

ing motorists: “Back off! Something is

going on here that you need to be aware

of right now!”

We’d highly recommend the system

for any rider. The Vololights license

plate unit retails for $129, and there’s

also a module version for $119 that

wires into your brake light directly,

eliminating the license plate frame.

—Bruce Steever

Perhaps I misunderstood what you were trying to convey. It will be interesting to see if they work as advertized.

Best,

Freedom Outlaw,

My point is that the Vololights are independent of the brake lights. They will illuminate with the brake lights when the brakes are applied, but they will illuminate without the brake lights during engine braking. So motorcycles with Vololights installed have two different light patterns during deceleration, which might confuse drivers following them.

Regarding flashing brake lights, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 makes them illegal in all 50 states.

My point is that the Vololights are independent of the brake lights. They will illuminate with the brake lights when the brakes are applied, but they will illuminate without the brake lights during engine braking. So motorcycles with Vololights installed have two different light patterns during deceleration, which might confuse drivers following them.

Before you can confuse following drivers, they have to notice the light. So you have their attention, and they become cautious. Which is the whole point. The first time they see a Vololight, they can only consider it a brake light. If they see it more than once, with or without the normal brake light, it is still an indicator you are slowing, like any other brake light. It really doesn't matter if they think one of your lights has a bad connection.

I doubt an extra light is going to make them think "Ooooh! A target!"

Perhaps. But if you're rear ended and the driver has a smart lawyer, he'll hammer you for nonstandard brake lights which "confused" his client.

Freedom Outlaw

Before you can confuse following drivers, they have to notice the light. So you have their attention, and they become cautious. Which is the whole point. The first time they see a Vololight, they can only consider it a brake light. If they see it more than once, with or without the normal brake light, it is still an indicator you are slowing, like any other brake light. It really doesn't matter if they think one of your lights has a bad connection.

I doubt an extra light is going to make them think "Ooooh! A target!"

Egg Sack Lee.

I lease a building to a regional claims office of a nationwide insurer. A lawsuit is the last thing I'd be worried about. I hear a Lot from these guys.

In regard to section 108, I don't care.

Lawyers? Been in business since 1959 (second generation), deal with them Every Week, literally.

If it gets someones attention who otherwise would have turned me into a cow pattie due to their failure to see me, I'll take my chances with "the lawyer".

Test Pilot Wrote:

Regarding flashing brake lights, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 makes them illegal in all 50 states.

I believe the Volo literature has a disclaimer about "check with your local laws". Following section 108, Hyperlights are illegal too if set in the flashing mode and should Immediately bee removed from bikes and all store shelves, baring that, disable the flash feature. Oh wait..that would defeat the purpose of a Lot people buying them

If he kills you by NOT noticing you is that better than a more cautious driver behind you; I think not. I think I'm ready for this farkle. I just applied the reflective strips to the back of my side cases. I try to do whatever I can do to be seen. The photo below was in broad daylight with an iPhone's tiny flash.

B2C5910F-2B3F-4A12-87CE-6964C551C6DC_zpsnoc5orjk.jpg

Here is California law:

"© Any stoplamp or supplemental stoplamp required or permitted by

Section 24603(24603 describes stoplight location) may be equipped so as to flash not more than four

times within the first four seconds after actuation by application of

the brakes."

Know of several tail light systems built to flash to these specs.

I have one on my 05 GS.

Have never had any issues and am glad it's there!

JR356

Freedom Outlaw

The Volo was installed by the dealer today. They have a large parking lot and I got to see it in action. It is impressive and I am pleased with the purchase. The labor was 1/2 hour as quoted and it looks factory installed.

If you want pictures, just go to You Tube and see the one installed on the K1600, it looks exactly like that.

Regards,

FO

I installed it on my last bike, a 2013 Triumph Trophy. All you have to do is tap into the license plate light (for power). It works pretty well. Comes on pretty much anytime you decelerate. Faster if it is more than just coasting. I'll be putting one on the new 2015 R1200RT we just got a couple of month ago. CA drivers tend to be sleepers at the wheel and this seems to catch most attention.

Archived