IGNORED

Switched Power

TJRL

Anyone know where to tap into to get switched power on a 2015 R1200RT LC?

I have fitted the Clearwater Lights CanOpener 3 unit, which only gives switched power when the engine is running. The BMW power socket gives switched power but it does not go off instantly when you turn the bike off. So again not what I need.

On my 2008 RT I tapped into the parking/side lights, but the 2015 with "waveguide rings" does not have tapable side lights.

So anyone know where the best place is to power that in on with the ignition?

The best I have found and use is the fuses located under the seat, see page 14 in the owners manual. The gauge of the wire is easy to tap with a posi tap.

Jay

Hi Jay, thanks for the suggestion only I think the fuses are also on a delayed off like the power sockets. Unfortunately as I want instant off they are not suitable.

Hi Jay, thanks for the suggestion only I think the fuses are also on a delayed off like the power sockets. Unfortunately as I want instant off they are not suitable.

You are correct, it will stay on for about a minute. I'll have to tap into the headlights, good luck.

Jay

I thought about taking a tap from the headlights, but as the dipped beam is not always on due to the daytime running lights and the 2015 RT not having sidelights just "un-tapable" waveguide rings (user manual page 135), I gave up looking in this area.

I am coming to think the best place to find an instant on/off feed may be the rear tail light, just not sure where to tap into or what colour to look for. Anyone done this or have some info on how to do it?

The tail lights gauge wires are small. If I chose this option I would use the tail light.

Blue/Black: Right turn signal

Blue/Red:Left turn signal

Grey/Red: Tail light

Grey Black with Yellow dot: Brake

Brown: Ground

Good luck,

Jay

The tail lights gauge wires are small. If I chose this option I would use the tail light.

Good luck,

Jay

Yes, the Grey/Black with Yellow Dots wire worked perfectly for my LED addition brake light bar. But the Grey/Red is always live and so not suitable as a relay trigger.

The hunt goes on!

Good luck,

Jay

Yes, the Grey/Black with Yellow Dots wire worked perfectly for my LED addition brake light bar. But the Grey/Red is always live and so not suitable as a relay trigger.

The hunt goes on!

What? It's hot when the bike is on, off when the bike is not on, no delay off. The tail light is hot while the bike is running, it's meets the needs as your trigger wire for the relay. There may be others, the down side to the wire it it's a small gauge making it harder to use a posi tap but should be doable.

Jay

Hi Jay,

Not sure I understood your reply. The Grey/Red is always live (hot) even when the ignition is off (for the top box interior light perhaps?) so it is not suitable as a relay trigger.

At present I am using a Clearwater Lights "CANopener 3" unit to provide the "relay" trigger for my PDM60. This works perfectly well but only whilst the bike is running, but not when the bike's ignition is turned on but the bike not started up, which is what I am looking for. As supplied by BMW the horn can be sounded with the ignition on and the bike off, but my PDM60 powered replacement (loud) horns now only work when the bike is running because I have not found the right trigger source yet. Yea, I know a first world problem but hey!

Last night I checked all the wires in the round connector to the top-box and none of them worked to trigger the PDM60 when the ignition was turned on, however I was able to pick up a feed for the extra LED brake light bar thing I have fitted below my number plate so not a complete waste of time!

TJRL,

The wires I'm talking are connected to the tail light, not the top case. I looked at this about a year ago so I don't have a fresh reference only my notes of the wire codes.

Jay

TJRL,

The wires I'm talking are connected to the tail light, not the top case. I looked at this about a year ago so I don't have a fresh reference only my notes of the wire codes.

Jay

Do you happen to remember where the plug/socket you used are located?
TJRL,

Jay

Do you happen to remember where the plug/socket you used are located?

It's in the far back, it connects to the rear light assembly.

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, all sorted using Jay's information:-

Grey/Red: Tail light - Used to trigger PDM60 (instant on / off with ignition)

Grey Black with Yellow dot: Brake - Used for additional LED brake light panel

Took a bit of effort to remove the rear carrier in order to gain access to the rear light wiring but does leave the area under the seats completely free of untidy wiring!

Archived