IGNORED

Found an "extra" screw in my bike

Chris Ackerman

Chris Ackerman

After putting my first couple hundred miles on my'08 RT in often sloppy conditions (melting snow on salty roads), I decided I should give it a washing. When wiping down the area around the rear shock, I first found a plastic piece in the spring, which I looked and found belonged over the positive battery terminal, but had broken off. I then had a 16mm long m5 screw fall out from that area. It looks like something that would hold some plastic in place, so I'm not scared to ride it, but I'd like to know where it belongs. Any guesses?

6463.jpg.6500cd80d856188c4282c72d8498642c.jpg

Morning Chris

What color is the screw? What type of head does the screw have?

A picture would be the best way to identify your mysterious screw.

Chris Ackerman

Dirtrider, thanks for looking at this. The picture is included as an attachment on the original post. It's a flanged button head cap screw, fully threaded with normal m5x? threads except for the tip, where it angles almost to a point, and it's a silver color (maybe stainless steel).

Dimensionally it's similar to this item, except for the torx head and different point. The color's also different. McMaster-Carr similar screw drawing

Chris...if it looks like this it is most likely a panel screw. There are many of the same size on your RT. Sorry about the tiny picture.

Ron

Guest Kakugo

Try taking off the saddle (both pieces) and having a look around. I suspect it's one of the bolts keeping body work panels in place under there.

Morning Chris

There are a number of 5x16mm screws uses to secure the plastic panels & fuel tank plastic.

I presume the screw looks like this___

06327651212_2_B.jpg

Chris Ackerman

Thanks guys. It's one of those screws. I looked under the saddles some. I'll keep my eyes open for anything that's missing. Although you can't tell where it came from, I feel better with the verification that it is a body panel type screw, and wanted to make sure that no one would tell me "that fell off your important safety related doo-hickey."

I don't like parts jumping off at me on my first time wiping down the bike, but I know stuff can shake loose.

On another note, someday I'll probably learn how to post my pics in line rather than as attachments.

Morning Chris

If you had your bike in for service, or for the brake line recall, or for a fuel strip replacement, or for pump pass through work then the tec might have dropped that screw & couldn't find it so just installed a new screw.

IMAGE LINK FIXED:

After putting my first couple hundred miles on my'08 RT in often sloppy conditions (melting snow on salty roads), I decided I should give it a washing. When wiping down the area around the rear shock, I first found a plastic piece in the spring, which I looked and found belonged over the positive battery terminal, but had broken off. I then had a 16mm long m5 screw fall out from that area. It looks like something that would hold some plastic in place, so I'm not scared to ride it, but I'd like to know where it belongs. Any guesses?

Attachments

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=6463&filename=IMG_20150313_224620.jpg (48 downloads)

If this the screw you found, I suspect the previous owner has added some non-OEM accessories. I'd suggest a thorough going-over by your dealer before another Mickey Mouse modification fails.

Chris Ackerman

Wow. I don't know that I can even find that picture on my phone, let alone tell you how I attached it. No wonder all the talk about posting the picture when I thought it was there. :grin:

No, I didn't have any ducks falling out of my motorcycle. The file of that name on my phone is the picture that I took off the screw. No clue how that happened. :dopeslap:

Or perhaps the attachment link was "fixed" creatively. I'm new to phone forum use.

Morning Chris

When you attach & post a picture you might get in the habit of closing the thread then re-open it & see what is actually posted on the page.

Do this before your editing time runs out-- That can save posting embarrassing pictures by mistake.

Wow. I don't know that I can even find that picture on my phone, let alone tell you how I attached it. No wonder all the talk about posting the picture when I thought it was there. :grin:

No, I didn't have any ducks falling out of my motorcycle. The file of that name on my phone is the picture that I took off the screw. No clue how that happened. :dopeslap:

Or perhaps the attachment link was "fixed" creatively. I'm new to phone forum use.

At least it was only Donald Duck. These days, could have been worse. :rofl:

Chris Ackerman

When I typed that I thought "they've probably heard that excuse before," but maybe not for a Disney character.

"Were you looking at those Disney pictures again?"

"Honestly, I have no idea how they got on the computer!"

The file on my phone with that name is actually a picture of a screw, but the issue is sorted out, and if a duck's good for a laugh I guess I'm fine with my post. Next time I'll get it right.

... and if a duck's good for a laugh...

Quacked me up! :grin:

What were you able to determine re: where the screw came from? I gather from other replies that Hexheads have the flange on panel screws integrated with the head or as your McMaster Carr link described "Button Head". Panel screws on my Oilhead are separate and non-metallic so I'm curious where the orphan screw came from. Welcome to the board by the way.

There are no "extra" screws.

They all belong somewhere, but we tend to redistribute them to

other dimensions without plan or purpose.

Don't blame the screw, blame the screw er.

Chris Ackerman

Rocer, I haven't figured out where either the duck or the screw came from. To the best of my knowledge the screw came from tallman's other dimension. I'll look for its home sometime soon, but haven't found it yet.

Archived