IGNORED

I'm looking at a 2011 and a 2012, what do you think?

ehc0720

The 2011 ($14K) has a 15K mi, premium, corbin seat, apokovic exhaust airflow shield and all stock parts from an individual switch gear and fuel flange work done, the 2012 ($14.5K) has 19kmi, premium, Nav IV, ztechnic shield, at a dealer. The individual owner is willing to deal on the price, I'm thinking $12.5. What do you think?

I bought a 2012 because they fixed a part that required a fuel pump recall (a small metal collar around a known weak area) and I think they vented the final drive for 2012, not absolutely sure on that though, if the vent started at 2012.

And maybe they beefed up the electronics around the fuel pump too, but I am speculating on that. The fuel pump recall was for 2005-2011 R1200's

You already know about the switch-gear voluntary recall.

Plus in the 2012 there probably are small fixes BMW does not report to the general public. (Example: they relocated the ambient air temperature sensor to a more logical position)

Mine has been dead reliable after I got the switch gear replaced. 40K KM

I have the ZTechnik windshield and for me it does a much better job than the OEM windshield.

Look under the valve covers for oil seepage & around the left cylinder top and back. That might give you a little more haggling power if there is a small amount of oil/dust in those locations. The left cylinder leak has been chronicled on most of the BMW boxers forums. I think it is a loose chain tension-er bolt that is hard to get at.

I also have the premium Nav IV system, which at the time I bought it, did not think much of, but now I love all the features and use it a lot. With the GPS mounted too.

I assume your are looking at RT's.

Best of luck!

• 3 weeks later...

OP here, well I decided this might be my last bike so I splurged and bought a 2015 Ebony RT. Pick it up tomorrow, thanks all.

Steve Kolenda

echo0720,

When we bought our first RT in 2000 we thought that with the little amount of mileage we typically put on motorcycles in the past, the 2000 would be the last bike we would own. Here we are now with over 200,000 miles traveled since 2000 and on our second RT. We expect there will be more to come. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2010 currently in the shop for a $2,000 final drive failure and 2 recalls. I would suggest which ever one you buy that you immediately take it to your dealer for the recall work and seriously consider getting an extended warranty that covers the known final drive problems.

I have a 2010 currently in the shop for a $2,000 final drive failure and 2 recalls. I would suggest which ever one you buy that you immediately take it to your dealer for the recall work and seriously consider getting an extended warranty that covers the known final drive problems.

While I recognize the "pain" of your personal FD replacement cost, I want to make clear to the new people looking at BMWs that "the known final drive problems" is a mis-characterization/perpetuation of something that is no longer a big problem -- the camhead final drives are *not* failing any more frequently than the "bullet proof" airhead final drives (which did fail once in a while, too).

There is no question that the oilhead and flying brick K-bike FDs in the 2000's had a horrible failure rate, and there were some issues with the earlier hexhead drives (different problems), but a once-in-a-blue-moon failure doesn't warrant the "known final drive problems" moniker.

Archived