BMW Recall?

Ponch

Yep

That would be right, after I replaced mine on the previous 2005RT Hexhead at my own cost.

Maybe BMW Motorrad is under new management? Why the major change in behavior? (that's a good thing...I am not complaining).

Their sales have just kept increasing over the last few years, so a drop in sales can't be the cause.

Yep

That would be right, after I replaced mine on the previous 2005RT Hexhead at my own cost.

Find your receipt, and give the dealer a call in a week or two. Previous "technical campaigns" have reimbursed customers for work done prior to the campaign.

Wow, that will be a lot of bikes. The dealers will not be happy, seeing as how they just replaced a bunch of fuel pumps during the last recall. This one will also be a more complex job, requiring heating the new flange.

Yep

Find your receipt, and give the dealer a call in a week or two. Previous "technical campaigns" have reimbursed customers for work done prior to the campaign.

+1

My riding buddy had bought a USED RT. He paid out of pocket for a new fuel pump replacement. The dealers submitted a request and he was reimbursed 100%.

Thanks for sharing. I'll keep an eye on the mail for the notification. :wave:

It will be a long wait, because this is NOT a recall. It's a service action.

Letters do arrive by mail when it is officially a recall, that is an action mandated by the Federal government in response to a safety or emissions problem.

This is neither and this action is BMW voluntary.

Wow, that will be a lot of bikes. The dealers will not be happy, seeing as how they just replaced a bunch of fuel pumps during the last recall. This one will also be a more complex job, requiring heating the new flange.

There was recently an article in the Wall Street Journal or something like that about how happy GM dealers are to see all the cars in their shops for the ignition switch recalls. Most owners never bring their cars in for anything and this action allows the dealers to promote themselves and maybe sell some other service at the same time. This industry doesn't mind recalls so much. BMW will pay the dealers, of course.

The Rocketman

I spoke to MAX BMW today. They said they did receive notice from BMW this morning making it an official recall. They need to stock up on replacement parts, but letters should be going out to all registered owners of the bikes affected by early to mid-April.

The Rocketman

Now here's something of interest, I guess. I just called BMW Corporate at 1-800-831-1117. They said there are NO RT's involved with the recall. Many other models (GS, R, ST, K's, etc) are affected but no RT's of any years for this specific recall. Also, letters went out this morning to owners.

Also, if you're bored, click the link below to see ALL BMW recalls by model and year from 1971 to 2014.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/motorcycle_recalls/01/bmw/

Now here's something of interest, I guess. I just called BMW Corporate at 1-800-831-1117. They said there are NO RT's involved with the recall. Many other models (GS, R, ST, K's, etc) are affected but no RT's of any years for this specific recall. Also, letters went out this morning to owners.

Also, if you're bored, click the link below to see ALL BMW recalls by model and year from 1971 to 2014.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/motorcycle_recalls/01/bmw/

The sad part about that list is that NHTSA can't even get simple record keeping straight. My 2007 ST is listed as two different models, R1200 ST and R 1200 ST, each with different recalls listed.

Not sure why the RT wouldn't be included. Does it use the same part involved?

RT Part#

02 33 11 7 722 831 FLANGE 2.01 1 $126.77

GS Part#

02 33 11 7 722 831 FLANGE 2.01 1 $126.77

Looks the same to me. I went to Max to look up the parts.

The Rocketman

You can call BMW customer service, give them your VIN# and they'll tell you of any outstanding recalls for your specific bike. I think more models and VIN #'s might be added to the list over time. Was advised to wait until mid-April and have my VIN # run again to see if anything has changed.

As for NHTSA, a few years back someone somewhere started a website about final drive failures. I think it was called the BMW Final Drive Registry. Hundreds of people added their story to that site about their FD failures, some with multiple failures, including me. NHTSA was forwarded a copy of the on-going list, and nothing was ever done about it. One day, the site disappeared from the web. Maybe BMW's lawyers threatened the guy who started it? I don't know, but that was involving what was alleged to be a manufacturing design flaw in the bearings, seals, or gear-mesh angles, or shimming, or whatever. Some attributed it to FD non-venting issues. I guess it wasn't important enough or enough of a potential hazard for NHTSA to mandate a BMW recall. It was about a $700 rebuild or a $1300 new part if you wanted it fixed.

I guess it wasn't important enough or enough of a potential hazard for NHTSA to mandate a BMW recall. It was about a $700 rebuild or a $1300 new part if you wanted it fixed.

In ~2004/05, I actually looked up the number and telephoned the guy that does the initial screening for the process of determining whether NHTSA should open a formal investigation -- turned out he himself was a BMW rider(!) and was just as interested in the issue as the rest of us.

The problem at the time was that (i) there had been no reports of *any* injuries or deaths as a result of a final drive failure, and (ii) no one could come up with a scenario in which there wasn't sufficient time to get a failing drive-equipped bike to the shoulder (and yes, we discussed the oil loss issue, but oil doesn't suddenly gush out (i.e., it doesn't leak out fast enough to create an immediate hazard), or close enough to the tire contact patch, to qualify as a hazard -- especially where the mechanical indications of a problem would clearly manifest themselves with plenty of time to get to the side of the road).

Bottom line, without a credible injury/death scenario (such as sudden stoppage in traffic, sudden wheel lock up, etc.), the fact that you can always get the bike to a shoulder made it a "customer dissatisfaction" issue, not a "safety" issue.

I am aware that in the last year or so NHTSA did finally start looking into the FD issues, but I have no idea what is different from a decade ago, or where the current inquiry is going.

The Rocketman

This was the last update I could find about that from April 2012:

"NHTSA Investigates BMW Final Drive Failure

After over 145 individual complaints filed between April 2001 and August 2011, the NHSTA has finally opened its first official investigation into the failure of crown gear bearings on BMW models equipped with the Paralever style final drive. NHSTA investigation DP12001 opened 1/20/12 is centered on 1999-2005 K1200LTs for now. But, if the findings are what we all believe

they will be, the scope of the investigation should be expanded. I found the only way to get NHSTA to listen and focus was to pepper its director, David Strickland, with repeat letters as well as inquiries from WA Senator Patty Murray who chairs the subcommittee over funding for the NHSTA. If

you have had a final drive failure on your Paralever equipped BMW, and have NOT already reported it to the NHSTA, I urge you do it now.

You will need your VIN, (est.) date of failure and mileage. State your model as well. While they should be able to identify from VIN, their data was wrong 50% of the time. Specify if gear oil leaked."

Link:

http://bmwfinaldrive.com/?page_id=2

Here was NHTSA's response:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM440501/INFN-DP12001-57071.pdf

And the final article from the original complainant/author:

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/20132014WinterBMWFinalDrive.pdf

DP12001 was closed in June 2013. Here's a quote from the closing resume:

"Based on its review, ODI does not believe that a safety-related defect trend currently exists for final drive bearing failures in the subject motorcycles. Therefore, in view of the need to allocate and prioritize NHTSA's limited resources to accomplish the agency's safety mission, the petition is denied. However, the agency will continue to monitor information related to this issue and will take further action if warranted."

There was recently an article in the Wall Street Journal or something like that about how happy GM dealers are to see all the cars in their shops for the ignition switch recalls. Most owners never bring their cars in for anything and this action allows the dealers to promote themselves and maybe sell some other service at the same time. This industry doesn't mind recalls so much. BMW will pay the dealers, of course.

At my particular dealer the service writer and mechanic indicated they were overwhelmed, as it was hard getting my bike in there for the switch out. I think they also said reimbursement from corporate didn't cover costs.

I talked to my local dealer yesterday; he is pretty sure they are going to include the RT starting in April.

I also talked to him about my previously replaced left switch assembly paid for by me 6 months ago and they are going to reimburse me for it. Seems like BMW corporate is trying to head in a better customer direction. Good news.

Guest Kakugo

This is big: according to Motorrad over 300000 bikes worldwide are affected by the recall. 81000 in Germany alone. :P

Given this isn't a half an hour job, I expect dealers to be quite busy for a long time. ;)

This is big: according to Motorrad over 300000 bikes worldwide are affected by the recall. 81000 in Germany alone. :P

Given this isn't a half an hour job, I expect dealers to be quite busy for a long time. ;)

Yeah, why don't they save themselves time and simply replace the final drive. :grin:

Called the dealer at Eugene, OR about the flange on my 1150RT and he said he had received advanced word on the recall and he is starting a list of customers as they call in and the same list will be used to reserve your place in line for repair so I'm first in line. Inspected the 1150 flange and all looks to be OK. I can see why it applies to the 1150 and not the 1100. Different flange assembly that looks to be more robust, imo.

Hey, it seems to me that if BMW is looking for a safety recall then stripped trans input shaft spines that fail suddenly without warning often in heavy traffic would surely be a place to start. Or maybe the use of brake lines that disintegrate without warning causing immediate brake failure. Or in tank fuel lines that suddenly blow causing engine stall with subsequent loss of power assisted brakes in 1150 whizzy brake models. I'm just saying.... but what do I know? :rofl:

Afternoon James

These are 1200 (hexhead) wheel flanges not 1150 or 1100 as the 1150 & 1100 doesn't use a wheel mounting flange.

Guest Kakugo

Yeah, why don't they save themselves time and simply replace the final drive. :grin:

They cannot make dealership maintenance departments suffer enough that way. :grin:

JamesW What do you know? Maybe not enough.

My brake lines were recalled or campaigned and replaced. I don't know which bikes that applies to, you have to be very specific about which bike it is.

These campaigns and replacements and recalls only apply to what they apply to.

For instance, the recall or campaign for free replacement on the fuel pump controller applied to only some of the GS bikes. But not my RT. And not all years on the GS. Even tho' I think it's all the same part.

dc

Hi DR,

Yes, in looking over the posts in this thread I see the posters all refer to R1200 bikes so I stand corrected. In the link to this news release the reference was made to R and K bikes produced from 2003 so I just assumed my '04 R1150RT was in this group. My error. My R1150 has a cover not a flange as in the R1200.

Dave_zoom_zoom
Hi DR,

Yes, in looking over the posts in this thread I see the posters all refer to R1200 bikes so I stand corrected. In the link to this news release the reference was made to R and K bikes produced from 2003 so I just assumed my '04 R1150RT was in this group. My error. My R1150 has a cover not a flange as in the R1200.

Don't feel badly James.

D.R. helps keep us straight in many ways. And does so in a very polite manner I might add.

Just save some of your steam for another issue. :grin: There are sure to be more.

Best Regards

Dave

The point is that the RT and the GS have the same part # for the flange. Why they would recall one and not the other befuddles me.

Hi Dave, I don't feel badly at all but that will teach me to read threads more carefully, and the good news is I don't have to ride over to Eugene and subject myself and be tempted by the latest offerings from BMW as in the new R1200RT. On the plus side for me the dealer has already made it clear that he won't take my RT on trade unless I allow him to replace the missing ABS modulator. No chance! :)

The Rocketman

The "befuddlement" might work its way out over the next couple of months, but I was told by a local BMW service manager that although the flanges are the same, the failures have been reported much more on GS models than on RT models. He did say that there have been RT flange failures, but not nearly as many as GS's. Maybe that's why the RT's were excluded, but he did say to check back in early to mid-April to see if they have added any other models or years by then.

In Canada this service campaign is now an official recall, to be monitored by Transport Canada.

Link

I wonder when NHTSA will get involved.

Rocketman I was going to comment that there are a good number of threads on flange replacement on advrider which is GS world. And it may prove my theory that it is a defective flange and not overtightening in that the GS off road probably puts a lot more strain on the flange, as opposed to the RT on road scenario.

Thus more failures there.

I don't know yet what the official replacement covers in terms of models.

dc

Typical BMW when it comes to taking the blame. Their claim that over torquing during service is the REASON that the alloy flanges are cracking is a joke.

No doubt that some were over-torqued & that led to earlier failures but I (personally) know of 4 flange failures at the brake rotor attachment ears & not one of those bikes ever had the brake rotor removed or replaced, so if those failures were from over-torqueing it was done by BMW at factory level.

One thing they are good at though is timing these recalls to coincide with the spring new bike buying frenzy & peak new model interest.

The "befuddlement" might work its way out over the next couple of months, but I was told by a local BMW service manager that although the flanges are the same, the failures have been reported much more on GS models than on RT models. He did say that there have been RT flange failures, but not nearly as many as GS's. Maybe that's why the RT's were excluded, but he did say to check back in early to mid-April to see if they have added any other models or years by then.

That doesn't sound reasonable as a defective or inadequate part is a defective or in adequate part. I guess I'll find out.

The Rocketman

That's what confused me too. If its defective on one model, it should be defective on another model. Guess we'll all find out soon enough. If my rear wheel falls off first, remind me later that I said that.

Reading the news release from Europe, there is no word about only GS or RT.

It says all R and K bikes made in that time period.

The fact is that there is no official recall in the USA and so any information from the dealers is useless hype.

And for the record, I have a RT with cracks on the brake disc side.

The main thing is that BMW has made us all aware of the problem and is putting the responsibility of riding our bikes with a possible defect on us.

I haven't checked mine yet. With 36K on the clock, it might be time to give it a look. :)

Some people are finding cracks with less miles.

I don't think it has anything to do with who torqed the wheel bolts or brake disc bolts. I think the value given by the factory is to high for the material and the design.

I haven't checked mine yet. With 36K on the clock, it might be time to give it a look. :)

Some people are finding cracks with less miles.

I don't think it has anything to do with who torqed the wheel bolts or brake disc bolts. I think the value given by the factory is to high for the material and the design.

The cracks are happening at the disk rotor mounting bolt flanges. Absolutely nothing to do with the wheel mounting bolts, unless I'm missing something. I had my rear wheel off numerous times and torqued the bolts properly, yet the disk flange is cracked at the rotor.

Ed

Archived