IGNORED

BMW 85 dollor Iphone cable

rodantking

I did some searching and could not find much in the way of the clones that are sold on amazon. I gave it a chance for 12 or so bucks and bought the one with lighting end instead of the out dated 30 pin that BMW sells. No luck. It was a epic 12 dollar fail. The headphone jack works if I put that in on auxiliary, but the bike says no usb and the phone says cable not supported or something, but does charge.

I'm not opposed to a 85 dollor cable after the hurt they put on me at time of sale. In comparison it's pocket change, but I'm not even sure it will do what I want. Right now the phone is connected to sena though bluetooth. The bike is connected to sena though A2DP.

Here is what I want. I what to hookup the phone to the bike though usb leaving sena to handle calls and the bike to handle music. Not sure it will do that. Here's what I would accept. Disconnect bluetooth on the phone and let the bike handle music (i doubt the bike will handle calls even though my cars have for years) I also have NAV 5 but I've read that letting the gps have your phone doesn't play all that well with sena. I also will not give up stereo music which I don't think Garmin can do. So unless I can split the phone up with Nav5 taking calls and something else taking the music from the same device, I just soon give up on the phone side altogether. I would also consider connecting the bike to a iPod but then the only way to get pandora would be to hotspot the phone to a iPod touch which would kill battery on the phone but not a feature I would not be willing to give up on.

Basically I want wonder wheel control of playlist and songs. That was a lot simpler wasn't it!

I have to put my phone in USB Mass Storage mode ( Droid x2) before the bike will recognize it. After that I have complete Wonderwheel control of my music files.

I did some searching and could not find much in the way of the clones that are sold on amazon. I gave it a chance for 12 or so bucks and bought the one with lighting end instead of the out dated 30 pin that BMW sells. No luck. It was a epic 12 dollar fail. The headphone jack works if I put that in on auxiliary, but the bike says no usb and the phone says cable not supported or something, but does charge.

I'm not opposed to a 85 dollor cable after the hurt they put on me at time of sale.

The absence of clone cables is due to the use of a proprietary electronic "handshake" bit in the BMW cable and the small market -- not much market incentive to copy.

Here is what I want. I what to hookup the phone to the bike though usb leaving sena to handle calls and the bike to handle music. Not sure it will do that.

The BMW manual states that plugging an iPhone into the system via the cable will disable the phone functions -- so use of the phone (via BMW equipment or SENA) via the bike's audio system is simply not an option.

My suggestion: buy a cheap iPod to plug into the bike, and then pair the phone to your headset (note: that will work with the BMW Communicator headset, but I do not know whether the Sena will support pairing with the bike for audio and also pair with a phone -- I can't imagine it wouldn't, but I have no experience with the Sena units).

I'm not opposed to a 85 dollor cable after the hurt they put on me at time of sale. In comparison it's pocket change, but I'm not even sure it will do what I want. Right now the phone is connected to sena though bluetooth. The bike is connected to sena though A2DP.

Here is what I want. I what to hookup the phone to the bike though usb leaving sena to handle calls and the bike to handle music. Not sure it will do that. Here's what I would accept. Disconnect bluetooth on the phone and let the bike handle music (i doubt the bike will handle calls even though my cars have for years) I also have NAV 5 but I've read that letting the gps have your phone doesn't play all that well with sena. I also will not give up stereo music which I don't think Garmin can do. So unless I can split the phone up with Nav5 taking calls and something else taking the music from the same device, I just soon give up on the phone side altogether. I would also consider connecting the bike to a iPod but then the only way to get pandora would be to hotspot the phone to a iPod touch which would kill battery on the phone but not a feature I would not be willing to give up on.

Basically I want wonder wheel control of playlist and songs. That was a lot simpler wasn't it!

I went through the same thing last year! Bought that same adapter with the lightning connector and as you had found out, it didn't work on the RT! I was fortunate in that when I e-mailed the seller to ask him if he has another version that might work, he refunded me the full price. No, that was the only version that he had.

Now, on the BMWLT forum, somebody had good luck with using a clone, but it has the old 40-pins connector (the same, if you had bought the authentic BMW one!), and so I did the same, and this is the one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P6DGMK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. You will need a 40-pins to lightning cable to go with it, and be advised that do NOT buy a clone cable! It will not work! Also don't buy the adapter either, because if you use an adapter instead of a short cable, the assembly will be too long to fit inside of the audio compartment.

I'm not opposed to a 85 dollor cable after the hurt they put on me at time of sale.

The absence of clone cables is due to the use of a proprietary electronic "handshake" bit in the BMW cable and the small market -- not much market incentive to copy.

Here is what I want. I what to hookup the phone to the bike though usb leaving sena to handle calls and the bike to handle music. Not sure it will do that.

The BMW manual states that plugging an iPhone into the system via the cable will disable the phone functions -- so use of the phone (via BMW equipment or SENA) via the bike's audio system is simply not an option.

My suggestion: buy a cheap iPod to plug into the bike, and then pair the phone to your headset (note: that will work with the BMW Communicator headset, but I do not know whether the Sena will support pairing with the bike for audio and also pair with a phone -- I can't imagine it wouldn't, but I have no experience with the Sena units).

Thanks for the heads up about the manual. I read it but didn't remember that part. I'll just go the iPod route and buy a new cable.

szurszewski
not sure if this will help, but I bought this cable on Amazon and it works perfect with my IPod

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004E5J61G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, that is the one I reordered. The first one had a lighting end on it not the 30 pin. The lighting does not work. Not sure why Bmw cars support it but not bikes.

When I used the 30pin cable listed above with my 4s in 2005 X3 I had some limited control over playback from my steeringwheel. When I upgraded to a 6 and a lightning cable, I lost that. I did opt for a clone cable and thought that might be why, but now I think I should try the old cable with the new phone and an adapter. Which is all to say, maybe the cars are not issue free either.

not sure if this will help, but I bought this cable on Amazon and it works perfect with my IPod

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004E5J61G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, that is the one I reordered. The first one had a lighting end on it not the 30 pin. The lighting does not work. Not sure why Bmw cars support it but not bikes.

When I used the 30pin cable listed above with my 4s in 2005 X3 I had some limited control over playback from my steeringwheel. When I upgraded to a 6 and a lightning cable, I lost that. I did opt for a clone cable and thought that might be why, but now I think I should try the old cable with the new phone and an adapter. Which is all to say, maybe the cars are not issue free either.

As I had mentioned in earlier post, I had tried using clone 30-pins to Lightning cable, and that did not work at all! The basic iPod adapter itself works, and I know because I had an older generation iPod with the 30-pins connection, and that worked fine. So, I ended up buying a genuine Apple 30-pins to Lightning cable, and everthing works perfectly. This is the cable: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-30-Pin-Adapter-0-2M/dp/B0097BEG08

Let me warn you again also to NOT use the solid adapter, because when you plug that into your iPod/iPhone, and then the 30-pins connector of the adapter into it, the whole rigid assembly is just a little too large to fit into the audio compartment! The cable converter above will allow you to fold everything up nicely.

Archived