GoPro mount on a R1100RT.

Reecehk

I recently purchased a GoPro 3 Black and have tried mounting the camera in a couple of places but the pictures (720p 25fps Narrow FOV) are distorted badly. The best place so far was the lower central part of the windshield, and although the mount is solid I fear the screen is actually vibrating. :P

This is getting most frustrating!! I see plenty of videos on youtube and they are all nice and smooth.

Maybe I should try a helmet mount!!!

Any suggestions?

I did all the experimentation and found the go pro hanging down from the chin of my helmet produced a nice perspective. When watching the video, you kinda feel like you're the person controlling the bike.

or make a spinning go pro mount for the top of your helmet. Not recommended for speeds above 50 mph... but a fun perspective

Hope this helps.

I must say the video's were fun!!!

The problem I have with the chin mount is the view through the screen, the picture, on this old R1100RT would be rather blurred.

I was thinking of mounting it on top of the helmet, however out here in the country of Australia the distance to anywhere is rather long. This means that the most traveled speed is around 110Kph (about 65mph), I suppose the side mount would be better but again, through the screen mostly!!!

There aren't many places to mount a camera on a R1100RT unless I start drilling the fearing (stuff that) or making steel brackets, but where???

On my R850R, I have a mirror-stem RAM mount with a Go-Pro mounted to it. I used to have R-bike mirrors on my R1150RT - the R and the RT have the same switch gear and so have the mirror fittings. You could probably also fit a RAM ball mount directly into the mirror mounting hole - then a arm or two will get the camera clear of the screen/fairing.

Andy

Thanks for that spinning video. I just got a little seasick there. :P

(no, really, I do feel ill now. maybe it's just a coincidence)

Hi Andy, the mirrors on my R1100RT are part of the fairing, there is absolutely nowhere on these handlebars to fit anything, plus the view would be blocked by the fairing/dash/mirrors.

R1100RT%20-%2002_zpsee8j3y4k.jpg

If you look at the handlebar switch/lever clusters, toward the front/outside there is a hole for mounting mirrors -8mm from rusty memory. BMW use the same switchgear for both faired and unaired bikes. Many people have fitted the "R" mirrors to RTs to get better rear coverage. These holes can be used for RAM mount bolts - or as I did on my RT, fit the auxiliary mirrors and use a mirror mount.

Andy

The RAM mounting system comes with a variety of extensions that can give you a view around the fairing/screen.

Andy

I think the trick to making these motorcycle home vids palatable for others is a few different camera angles. You can have at least three mount points on your helmet, side/forward, top/forward and backwards.

Also, a small tripod is pretty good to mix in a ride-by or two. The other thing that works well is some human interaction. I'm talking interviews and or if you're brave enough, step in front of the camera yourself.

Some edit time and the right music mixed in and who knows, you may get 200 views too, on YouTube. Well ok, 49 views were myself. :rofl:

Pat

I must admit that I never noticed the mirror mount holes before. The clutch has an 8mm clean hole (used this) but the brake side has a strange thread, I tried a vast range of bolts but nothing seems to fit, maybe it's a LH thread!!

Anyway I made a mount out of a spare mirror I had kicking around, one end has the mounting thread the other has a ball that is part of the shaft for the mirror socket.

I ground a flat surface on the ball in the correct spot to about 10mm diameter, drilled and threaded (3/16-32) to suit the GoPro bolts.

All fit together perfectly and very solid, but still it produces jitters in the video, I think it's the actual engine vibes through the handle bars, the camera is rock solid.

The chin mount is starting to look the best option.

Mind you I could only test on a dirt road, maybe when I get to the bitumen roads it might be fine. :S

Another problem is the sound, the recording is like blowing onto a microphone, very bassy, and although just walking around, no wind, it is very loud. I do have the original sealed back door on, would this improve if it is off allowing more sound in?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Charles Elms

Mount to the helmet to reduce vibration. If you have a flip helmet make sure when you "flip" it up, you do not contact the mounted GOPRO.

Hi Charles, yes I tried 3 different positions on the bike but all no good, the handlebar mount was the best but still not good enough.

I have now mounted it on the helmet, there was no room for a chin mount so had to opt for the top. The visor misses misses it by about 5mm but the the mount overlaps it at the front so the camera isn't right at the top at least. Since I have a SENA headset the helmet is starting to weigh a bit!!!!

The picture quality is much better now but the sound on the HERO3 is not good. I am going to try a variety of external mikes, these things should have a battery mic that transmits to the camera, this way the mic could be placed anywhere!!

Archived