IGNORED

Really dumb Q -- changing brake pads

Aram

My '04 RT will be needing new front brake pads. On past bikes, with the caliper off I have always compressed the pistons -- using my fingers, or perhaps a screwdriver, against the pads -- before I change out the pads.

Dumb question: Will any of the the, uh, ingenious German plumbing system go kablooie if I do this? Any concerns about pushing a little brake fluid back through the system?

Thanks,

Aram

Just make sure you have space in the master cylinder front and rear to accommodate the amount of fluid you will be pushing back. If your brakes have worn and you topped up the masters, you may have to suck a little out before you compress. Don't forget to refill before you apply the brakes or you could introduce air. A good C-Clamp and a small piece of wood work well not to scare the pistons if you are unable to compress by hand.

P.S. Brakefluid eats paint so cover all with rags and be sure not to spill any....rags cheap...paint not so much.

Stan Walker

Just make sure you have space in the master cylinder front and rear to accommodate the amount of fluid you will be pushing back

Not 100% correct....

2004 RT has the famous whizzy brake system. 4 master cylinders. The master cylinders you can see on the right front handlebar and down by your right foot don't connect directly to the calipers, the only go to the servo controller(just in front of the battery) and tell it what needs to be done. There are two more master cylinders in the servo controller that do go to the calipers. These have overflow hoses running down the right side of the bike and if they have been overfilled pushing the pads back MAY cause brake fluid to come out of them and drip on the ground. No real harm done.

EXCEPT!!! riding the bike while they are still dripping may cause brake fluid to be deposited on paint. That's a bad thing!!!

Stan

Archived