IGNORED

2014 rt shifting

Ian McDermid

Ian McDermid

To all 2014,15 RT owners. How are the new RT bikes shifting.I own a 2010 and find the 1,2,2,1 shifts clunky. Thinking of buying a 2014 and hoping the shifting is much smoother. Thanks for any info.

The only complaint I have, if I have to come up with one, is putting it into first gear at a light after waiting a moment. Seems to clunk pretty hard.

But after living with the '04 I think this shifts like butter!

3-6 all smooth..... 2-1 on downshift clunks if done at too high of speed. I've started waiting until Im pretty slow to go 2 back to 1 then it is smooth...........I actually don't mind the clunking a little as part of BMW character...I just don't want clunking to the point damage is created....the new wethead is much better shifting in my opinion. What is really a surprise is how early you can go into 6, have plenty of pull, and not be lugging the engine. On my old bike 6 was at 65 or above..I can do 6 now at 55 and the engine seems fine....and mileage well into the 50's when I do.

3-6 all smooth..... 2-1 on downshift clunks if done at too high of speed. I've started waiting until Im pretty slow to go 2 back to 1 then it is smooth...........I actually don't mind the clunking a little as part of BMW character...I just don't want clunking to the point damage is created....the new wethead is much better shifting in my opinion. What is really a surprise is how early you can go into 6, have plenty of pull, and not be lugging the engine. On my old bike 6 was at 65 or above..I can do 6 now at 55 and the engine seems fine....and mileage well into the 50's when I do.

Clunk from 2 to 1? That tells me you don't do rev-matching on downshift, unless you mean while using pro shift-assist? On manual shifting, I always rev-match (blipping) on downshifts, and have never experienced any clunking. OTOH, when using the PSA to shift down, I have to make sure that the rpm is lower than my normal shift point, when shifting below 3rd, or it will clunk. The PSA will blip the throttle to rev-match, but not enough in the lower gears and at higher rpm.

It's almost an apples/oranges question, as the early RTs have a dry clutch in front of their transmission and the watercooled bikes have wet clutches.

On the watercooleds the drill is to maintain engine oil at the halfway point in the sight glass, not higher.

The "full" mark is the top of the red circle. Which is where mine is after the recommended amount of oil is put in it. Mine is now just above the halfway point of the red circle after about 5800 miles. With none added.

Ian McDermid

Thanks for your input. I will test drive a 2015 when I return from holidays and see how it feels. Disappointing to hear there is any clunk at all. I thought the wet clutch would solve the problem. Yamaha, Honda, KTM. No problem any gear any time very smooth.My 2010 RT you have to be aware at all times and rev match or it sounds like a Harley. Dealers response. They all do it. IAN.

Who would of thunk they'd still have a clunk! :D It's really a non issue, you'll figure it out and IMO, fall in love with the bike very quickly. If, that's possible and or legal in your state. :rofl:

Pat

Clunky while at a stop going into first. But not a big deal to me. Shifting on the move is effortless and smooth as glass. I love the way mine shifts.

I'm new to this bike so I have to ask why should the oil only be brought half way up the site glass?

Because the clutch runs in motor oil and shifting will be less clunky if motor oil is not filled to the top.

To all 2014,15 RT owners. How are the new RT bikes shifting.I own a 2010 and find the 1,2,2,1 shifts clunky. Thinking of buying a 2014 and hoping the shifting is much smoother. Thanks for any info.

I'll give you a little different take on it.

My .02 worth

When the LC Boxers were introduced in 2013 (GS) I test rode 2.

Then, in 2014, I test rode an RT for 70 miles and I rented a 2014 GS for a full day.

I did not like the clunky sound coming from the trannys, 1st to 2nd, 2nd to third, maybe even a little 3rd to 4th.

The transmission shifted easily. Light and smooth but too often the shifts were accompanied with, almost a cowbell like clunk.

Try as I might, with all the tricks I've acquired rowing through finicky BMW transmissions over the last ~14 years, too often the noise was present.

Finally, I got a chance to ride a 2015 GSA with Gearshift Assist Pro. As you may know, GSAP allows for clutch-less up-shifts and downshifts.

When utilizing the GSAP I did not notice even 1 clunky up-shift.

Even when using the clutch, the GSA seemed to be clunk free as opposed to the other 4 LC that I had tested.

I don't know if they've ironed out these trannys or if the GSAP helps in some way.

I held off on buying an LC Boxer for 2 years because of my early test rides.

I have a clunky tranny in my 2008 K1200GT, I didn't really want another.

After riding the 2015 GSA I went ahead and have purchased 2 LC.

A 2014 RT Buy Back Special and a 2015 GS,. The GS is on the water, the RT is at the dealer waiting for me.

Both are equipped with GSAP.

Hope mine are clunk free for the most part, as I expect them to be.

Check back in a month, I'll let ya know.

d'milan

On the watercooleds the drill is to maintain engine oil at the halfway point in the sight glass, not higher.

At the halfway point my Multifunction Display tells me to check the oil level. This just happened after approximately 5800 miles from completely full (looks like similar results as realshelby).

At the halfway point my Multifunction Display tells me to check the oil level. This just happened after approximately 5800 miles from completely full (looks like similar results as realshelby).

Mine did the same besides which I didn't notice any less of a clunk.

Marc

Ironically, Getrag makes some good car boxes. I've never understood why the BMW trannies are so, um, "character filled." Makes me wonder whether the issue is at BMW's or Getrag's end of the design.

Ian McDermid

I have discovered something on my 2010 rt. When shifting up. Make a firm positive upward pull on shifter. All the way up. Shifts much smother. Rev match all downshifts. Sounds like the 2014 have worked it out. Test ride coming soon. Thanks everyone

IAN

Freedom Outlaw
I have discovered something on my 2010 rt. When shifting up. Make a firm positive upward pull on shifter. All the way up. Shifts much smother. Rev match all downshifts. Sounds like the 2014 have worked it out. Test ride coming soon. Thanks everyone

IAN

Test ride coming soon.

Have your check book handy!

To date, nothing alleviates the clunk.

On the shiftless mode, going to second and third, or coming back into second or third: sometimes it clunks, sometimes it doesn't.

fourth and fifth are smooth on shiftless

I have a 2014 rtw and from trying to get into 1st from neutral thru ALL gears .mine is HARD to shift and sounds as each time you shift it is CRUNCHING each gear.DOES not matter UP orDOWN.ALL GEARS.WORST TRANSMISSION EVER!!

I have a 2014 rtw and from trying to get into 1st from neutral thru ALL gears .mine is HARD to shift and sounds as each time you shift it is CRUNCHING each gear.DOES not matter UP orDOWN.ALL GEARS.WORST TRANSMISSION EVER!!

Take your bike to your dealer! Assuming it really is that bad, your tranny is really f'd up. No reason to live with it.

+ 1.5 :grin:

Yeah, I'd be the biggest PIMDA (pain in my dealer's ass) if that was my impression of the transmission in a twenty plus thousand dollar motorcycle.

Pat

Crunch. Yep, that's the way it feels to me too but mainly from 1st to 2nd and some from 2nd to 3rd The only way I've found to get a clean shift is to shift at 2800 rpm or below...but what fun is that. I'm taking the above advice and making a trip to the dealer.

I have taken it back to my dealer and was told that the trans is 100% ok, and in their opinion, normal. And yes, I have already been a PIMDA.

Been a while since I've actually had shift time on my bike but my recollection is that you have to shift this bike with authority. If that makes sense? A light tap on the shifter seems to make any clunk that's present, clunkier.

Pat

dasstr

It would be impossible to really tell if there is a true issue with your bike or not.

The only way anybody could tell is by actually riding your bike for at least a few hundred kilometer and compare it to their own bike.

I am also not sure that there isn't a learning function as I had a shifting problem after the bike had an update (rear shock recall).

Took it back and the mechanic showed me that it was ok, but he took it out on the road and gave it some hard up and down shifts under hard accelerations (I watched him do it).

I then hopped on the bike and it had definitely improved and then kept improving over a few rides until it was back to what it used to be like.

1st to 2nd needs to be shifted fast and low revs.

2nd to 3rd the revs can be a bit higher but not much

the others are fine.

All up-shifts need to be done under acceleration

Downshifts definitely are a lot smoother if you give the throttle a quick blip before the downshift and can be done super smooth all the way down to 1st gear "if done correct". And it's not hard to muck up the timing.

Screw it up and you will be rewarded with a crunch and a lurch.

Ian McDermid

Sad to hear of 2014 shifting problems.My riding partner is on a Vincent. Shifts smoother than my 10 rt. It was built in 1947.Get with it BMW. Cant wait to test ride 1290 Super Adventure. If its got enough wind protection. I'm done with the clunk. I love the rest of the bike. Wind protection, handling, ease of do it yourself maintenance. All day comfort. The clunky shifting destroys the harmony of it all. That's why I ride. Its a connection between man machine and nature that you can not get from driving a car. Its also a pain in the ass for the owner of my BMW dealer. Unsatisfied customers. No one in business wants that.IAN

Here is how I have managed to smooth out the gearshifts. I have the 14RT LC and have had 2 previous boxers. I know what a good gearbox is like as I have ridden many non BMWs

UPSHIFTS - What I try to achieve is a controlled movement of the lever with preload and no overthrow. To do this I kind of position my boot so that it is at an angle, I then pe load before briefly dipping clutch and backing off the throttle. The pre load is sufficient to start the gearchange and I use my foot to positively move the lever so that it is effectively gripped by the boot and cant travel further than required. If you can imagine changing gear with your hand thats it.The other tip is to drive hard through the gears and make the change quickly. If you do a lazy change the speed match of the gears is lost and you will get a clunker.

DOWNSHIFTS - blip the throttle to rev match with pre load.

What is really odd is that when you start to over think the gear shift you have a shit day as you seem to mess up everything. Ride hard through the gears and do quick gear changes and it seems like a different bike.

Here is how I have managed to smooth out the gearshifts. I have the 14RT LC and have had 2 previous boxers. I know what a good gearbox is like as I have ridden many non BMWs

UPSHIFTS - What I try to achieve is a controlled movement of the lever with preload and no overthrow. To do this I kind of position my boot so that it is at an angle, I then pe load before briefly dipping clutch and backing off the throttle. The pre load is sufficient to start the gearchange and I use my foot to positively move the lever so that it is effectively gripped by the boot and cant travel further than required. If you can imagine changing gear with your hand thats it.The other tip is to drive hard through the gears and make the change quickly. If you do a lazy change the speed match of the gears is lost and you will get a clunker.

DOWNSHIFTS - blip the throttle to rev match with pre load.

What is really odd is that when you start to over think the gear shift you have a shit day as you seem to mess up everything. Ride hard through the gears and do quick gear changes and it seems like a different bike.

I'm not able to preload with shift assist, I did preload on my 02 RT, it worked best on that bike. I find shifting fast and sharp works best. As others have said a light or lazy shift does some strange things... be positive and direct.

Jay

Ironically, Getrag makes some good car boxes. I've never understood why the BMW trannies are so, um, "character filled." Makes me wonder whether the issue is at BMW's or Getrag's end of the design.

Didn't I read that the new RT's transmission is sourced from a Japanese supplier?

Have not ridden new model.

Strange that sales have increased world wide if the tranny was a "dog" ( :grin: )

Any magazine reviews blasting it?

• 2 months later...

Clunks going into first at a stop ,1st-2nd not smooth , 2nd-3rd not smooth, 3rd-4,5,6 smooth . This isn't always the case though some times other than clunking going into 1st at a stop it'll shift smooth all the way through . I believe it has something to do with the clutch not full disengaging and that's what I told the dealer who sold it to me .

Bill Murray

I have a new 2015 R1200RT (four weeks old).

Normal upshifting is smooth between all gears except the 1st-to-2nd upshift. Likewise, the normal downshifting is smooth, except for the 2nd-to-1st gear change.

My experience with the Gearshift Assist Pro has been somewhat mixed. The 1st-to-2nd and 2nd-to-3rd shifts always lurch, as do the downshifts. The upshifts from 3rd-to-4th-to-5th-to-6th are always smooth, and those downshifts are usually smooth (but not quite as much as the upshifts).

Bottom Line -- I am manually shifting the lower gears and experimenting with GSAP when briskly accelerating. Overall, the tranny is is as good or better than the ones in my ex '09 GSA or ex '07 K12R-Sport.

bmwpeterhead

hi Ian McDermid,

i (dutch) own the wasser bmw for 2 weeks now and drove 1000 kilometers in one weekend. this is my third bmw (owned 4 harles before that) and i must say it rides and steers excellent but it shifts gears like uhhhh a bmw. especially from neutral to first and second gear. the engineers in Beieren don't understand (never did) how to design a gear box. every japanese engineer can.

but like i said it rides perfect. it has a lot more power then the 2013 RT. the difference between the both of them could not be bigger.

within 5 weeks my wife and i take the wasserhead on our trailer towards the north of italy. from there we will take a 9 days tour to napels and back.

• 4 weeks later...
I have a new 2015 R1200RT (four weeks old).

Normal upshifting is smooth between all gears except the 1st-to-2nd upshift. Likewise, the normal downshifting is smooth, except for the 2nd-to-1st gear change.

My experience with the Gearshift Assist Pro has been somewhat mixed. The 1st-to-2nd and 2nd-to-3rd shifts always lurch, as do the downshifts. The upshifts from 3rd-to-4th-to-5th-to-6th are always smooth, and those downshifts are usually smooth (but not quite as much as the upshifts).

Bottom Line -- I am manually shifting the lower gears and experimenting with GSAP when briskly accelerating. Overall, the tranny is is as good or better than the ones in my ex '09 GSA or ex '07 K12R-Sport.

Same here, coming from an 06 RT that shifted super nice, even without the clutch on upshifts!! Yes, I know how to shift!

I'm with you on the shifting Ian and that is why when BMW Canada offered me the buy back for the 2014 RT, I took it. For more than 27,000.00 C$, I expected a machine that wasn't a clunker.

I found that the shifting really smoothed out between 7 and 8K miles. Either it got broken in or I did.

But, this is relative. It's certainly not smooth like a Japanese motorcycle.

• 3 weeks later...
Ian McDermid

I rode a 2014 rt for six days through the alps last week. The motor is awesome. Compared to my 2010. Crisper throttle, smoother, faster, beautiful sound. With two up doing steep mountain passes(STELVIO) it handled it with ease. I tried many shifting methods but the clunking continues on 1,2,3 upshifts. Smooth downshifts with rev matching as on my 2010 rt. So I guess that's the way it is. The rest of the bike is a ten out of ten for me.The motor is so fun.IAN

Archived