IGNORED

Get your auto collision work done early in the month

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

Talking w/ a friend who's hip deep in the collision biz about the government investigation into insurance companies "steering" business to select shops.

It seems a tad more insidious. Every month insurers produce reports for each shop showing ratio of new to aftermarket/used (they call them alternative) parts used.

They impress upon the shop how it’s in the shops best interest to use more alternative, i.e. cheaper, not necessarily better, parts.

Because the use of alternative parts may cause delays waiting for a breaker yard to ship; or cars have been repaired for which there are no alternative parts, the cars repaired toward the end of the month are more likely to get more of those parts.

I'm curious but didn't ask if auto dealer collision shops, say a Cadillac dealer, would use alternative parts in lieu of OEM parts.

In Illinois, State Farm donated big bucks to elect a Supreme Court Justice. He happens to live in my home town. The first case he decided, meaning he was the deciding vote, he ruled in favor of State Farm. They had been sued over the use of non-OEM parts.

The case was worth $8 Billion.

If you want to read more you can do so HERE

I just bought an replacement "alternative" fog light to replace a broken one on my Subaru Outback. $35 for a pair on ebay or dealer $110 for one. I went the ebay route. The fog light doesn't quite fit, I had to drill one of the mounting holes.

China must use slightly different millimeter measurements than the rest of the world.

Go OEM, it will fit better.

Got a letter from my insurance company the other day; it said that since my car is over 10 years old they won't pay for OEM repair parts. I'm still carrying C&C since it's cheaper than writing off the car in the event I did something stupid. I suspect that if another driver's liability insurance kicks in, I won't get OEM parts from them either.

We just had a collision repair done on our 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, to the tune of $12.5K.

Long story but the other driver was an idiot but there were no witnesses. Currently awaiting arbitration......

Anyway, we have Central Insurance and they paid for all genuine Jeep (FCA) parts, no problem, no fuss. They were a pleasure to deal with as well......

First accident in over 30 years, and the last wasn't our fault either!

We just had a collision repair done on our 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, to the tune of $12.5K.

Long story but the other driver was an idiot but there were no witnesses. Currently awaiting arbitration......

Anyway, we have Central Insurance and they paid for all genuine Jeep (FCA) parts, no problem, no fuss. They were a pleasure to deal with as well......

First accident in over 30 years, and the last wasn't our fault either!

Physical evidence is better than witnesses.

Archived