Oil and new ride

gordiet

Ok...just got rid of my k1600 and got another RT! 2015 loaded with all the goodies. My question is.... What are guys using for oil? I have a bunch of Castrol 10-50 and some Mobil 1, 15-50 from past BMW's. Can I use any of these oils? Thanks , GT

Afternoon gordiet

Look on or around page 155 of your riders manual that should have both the engine oil viscosity weight & API rating your bike needs.

5W-40 is the spec for R1200LC engines.

Check your owners manual for grade..

Probably sell the old stuff to somebody here with a brick or older boxer.

d'milan

I did rea d that in the manual. I was wondering if other oils were acceptable.

On another note the manual does not address the final drive as to oil and how much.

GT

If other oils were "acceptable," they'd be listed in the manual.

You've got a wet clutch which works best with specified oil.

NOTE: specified does NOT mean the same thing as recommended. It means use this, period.

Engine oil

Engine oil, capacity max 1.1 gal (max 4 l), with filter replacement

Specification SAE 5W-40, API SL / JASO MA2, additives (e.g.

on a molybdenum basis) are not permitted, as

they will attack coated engine components, BMW

Motorrad recommends Castrol Power 1 Racing

4T SAE 5W-40, API SL/JASO MA2

Engine oil, quantity for topping up max 1 quarts (max 0.95 l), difference between

MIN and MAX

BMW recommends

z

Jim VonBaden
I did rea d that in the manual. I was wondering if other oils were acceptable.

On another note the manual does not address the final drive as to oil and how much.

GT

180Ml of GL5.

Jim :Cool:

Engine oil

Engine oil, quantity for topping up max 1 quarts (max 0.95 l), difference between

MIN and MAX

BMW recommends

z

I've only done one oil change (dealer did the 600 mile) New filter only used 4 quarts it went to just underneath the max and has stayed there for a 1000 sMiles.

Jay

Whats is the Mahle oil filter number?

Sorry, I got it. OC 306.

I got OC 619 from Beemer Boneyard it looked like an identical match to the original filter. It seems to be doing it job, no leaks. Is the OC 306 the same, maybe it's taller?

Jay

Sorry, I got it. OC 306.

I got OC 619 from Beemer Boneyard it looked like an identical match to the original filter. It seems to be doing it job, no leaks. Is the OC 306 the same, maybe it's taller?

Jay

I found this BMW:11427721779 for the oc 619. The filter on my bike is BMW:11427673541. Don't know why mahle website seam so impossible to get around.

So, the recommended oil/filter change is every 6000 miles correct? How about valve adjustment, I have about 5000 miles on my bike now, is it wises to get a valve adjustment (or check) at 6000 miles? I know my 1973 1/2 R75/5 (original owner) stays in adjustment for a long time, I just end up checking it about every 5k miles or so. I know these are totally different valve trains (tappets-R75 vs shims/buckets-I think). At 12,000 miles I had the valves checked by the dealer on my F800ST, the service manager who I trust, said to look at them again at 36,000 miles.

The bike had 44000 miles on it. And at that point they start losing value quite fast.

I also wanted a little less weight. The 1600 is a great bike and the motor is super. I've had two other 1200 RTs and like them a lot , plus.....I wanted a new bike!😃

GT

So, the recommended oil/filter change is every 6000 miles correct? How about valve adjustment, I have about 5000 miles on my bike now, is it wises to get a valve adjustment (or check) at 6000 miles? I know my 1973 1/2 R75/5 (original owner) stays in adjustment for a long time, I just end up checking it about every 5k miles or so. I know these are totally different valve trains (tappets-R75 vs shims/buckets-I think). At 12,000 miles I had the valves checked by the dealer on my F800ST, the service manager who I trust, said to look at them again at 36,000 miles.

The valve check is at 12,000 sMiles

Jay

Thanks Jay. On another note regarding oil, the manual says (p.153)SAE 5W-40, API (American Petroleum Institute)SL/JASO MA2. There are probably other oil manufactures other than Castrol that meet that SL/JASO MA2 specification. For example, my 2 VW TDIs take specification VW507.00. Castol is recommended for the VW, but there other manufactures that meet that 507 spec, a low ash oil. Mobil One has an oil that does, but you have to get it from a wholesaler, Shell and Total also meet that spec. In fact, VW sent me a list of oils meeting that 507 spec, so maybe BMW would do the same.

I'm a diehard twin fan, I waited for the water cooled version since I already have an ancient air cooled R75/5 twin. I hear you wanting a new bike, nice choice.

How about valve adjustment, I have about 5000 miles on my bike now, is it wises to get a valve adjustment (or check) at 6000 miles? I know my 1973 1/2 R75/5 (original owner) stays in adjustment for a long time, I just end up checking it about every 5k miles or so. I know these are totally different valve trains (tappets-R75 vs shims/buckets-I think). At 12,000 miles I had the valves checked by the dealer on my F800ST, the service manager who I trust, said to look at them again at 36,000 miles.

My experience with the shim-type BMW arrangements is that they are FAR more stable than the airheads. I'm guessing that and competitive pressure re: total ownership/maintenance costs are the reasons they've finally gone to 12K valve check intervals.

As to checking at 6K, I'm not going to. If you watch the BMW factory engine assembly videos you can see the equipment they use to establish the initial shim selection for each valve. Given the marked decrease in clearance change with these shim arrangements and the approach to initial fitment, I see no reason to go in before 12K.

Jim VonBaden
Engine oil

MIN and MAX

BMW recommends

z

I've only done one oil change (dealer did the 600 mile) New filter only used 4 quarts it went to just underneath the max and has stayed there for a 1000 sMiles.

Jay

4 quarts works just fine. The motor tents to retain a bit more than the older R1200.

Jim VonBaden
Thanks Jay. On another note regarding oil, the manual says (p.153)SAE 5W-40, API (American Petroleum Institute)SL/JASO MA2. There are probably other oil manufactures other than Castrol that meet that SL/JASO MA2 specification. For example, my 2 VW TDIs take specification VW507.00. Castol is recommended for the VW, but there other manufactures that meet that 507 spec, a low ash oil. Mobil One has an oil that does, but you have to get it from a wholesaler, Shell and Total also meet that spec. In fact, VW sent me a list of oils meeting that 507 spec, so maybe BMW would do the same.

CycleGear sells a compatible oil. By the way, some of the 2014 and 2015 bikes are coming from the factory with the Hexhead/Camhead filter, mine did. That means that any filter that fits the Hexhead/Camhead will fit the Wethead and work safely. That means lots of filters available in a pinch. I use the BBY kit anyhow because of quality and price.

20141231_153028.jpg

Often on sale for half off.

mountainmann

Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic oil meets the SL and MA2 specs. People have reported good results using this oil. It is usually available at Wal-Mart.

So, Jim. you order from Cycle Gear and just check for the sales? They sell the kits? BBY? Similarly, I get kits from German Auto Parts for the TDIs. My bike was ordered Feb 7th 2014, and delivered May 9th 2014, how would I be able to tell what filter, would I need the VIN# for that? Thanks for the info.

jeff

Jim VonBaden
So, Jim. you order from Cycle Gear and just check for the sales? They sell the kits? BBY? Similarly, I get kits from German Auto Parts for the TDIs. My bike was ordered Feb 7th 2014, and delivered May 9th 2014, how would I be able to tell what filter, would I need the VIN# for that? Thanks for the info.

jeff

Nah, I get the full kit from BBY. They have kits that include fluids. I have used the CG fluids from time to time if just changing oil. But they do not carry the filters.

Sorry, I got it. OC 306.

Jay

I found this BMW:11427721779 for the oc 619. The filter on my bike is BMW:11427673541. Don't know why mahle website seam so impossible to get around.

I had no luck with mahle website at all, but I can tell you the filter my bike came with was a 11427673541 also. I found else where that is a oc 306. The bike is 2015. Not sure why the factory would be putting on two different filters. Even if they ship these bikes dry I would think they would have a filter on to seal it up. Maybe they have a dummy filter on their and the dealers are getting it wrong.

• 2 months later...

Just changed the oil on the RT, the 6000 mile change. Talk about easy, as it should be. I got the oil BMW Advantec 5-40 ($13.95/L) and filter ($16.23)at the dealer.

First went to Wally world to check their oils. Saw the Rotella T6 oil but it meets JASO MA spec, not MA2, it appears to be a diesel formula oil. Same is true with the Mobil 1, it also meets JASO MA and not MA2. I emailed Mobil and they said they do not make an oil that meets JASO MA2. So be careful with your oil selection.

The BMW dealer said that BMW has switched over to Shell from Castrol for their oil and it now comes in liters and not quarts. 3.8L (4 quarts) filled the crankcase to about 1/8th inch below the top of the circle, after the motor was fully warmed up, so 4 quarts is the right amount with a filter. Nice, I now have 200ml left to top it off if I need to. I don't think the bike used 1/3rd of a quart in 5600 miles.

Jeff

realshelby

First let me say I don't believe oil manufacturers care all that much about testing for JASO specs. Not all that big of a market for it. I see inconsistent labels on JASO. Take the Shell rotella T6 mentioned above. You might think it is not approved for Wethead BMW's. But look at the spec sheet available online from Shell and it plainly lists the JASO MA2 specification.

SHELL T6

That said, even some other Shell spec sheets only mention this oil as JASO MA. I'll leave out the DH2 as that pertains to Diesels. Rumor has it that Shell didn't bother to test for MA2 at first but found out it did pass.

This means you have a 5-40 weight oil with SM and JASO MA2 specs available about anywhere. Under $19 for a gallon ( just right for Wethead oil change). These specs are exactly what BMW calls for. I like knowing I can get this oil anywhere and I love the price. Being marketed to the Diesel market does not change that it is the right oil for a Wethead BMW!

Interesting comments Realshelby. I'll go to Shell's website and check that out. I'm with you and would rather pay $20 gallon, perfect for our bike's oil change than $14 per litre. It is interesting that the dealer mentioned that Shell now provides the BMW wethead oil. Although the T6 is marketed as a diesel formula oil it does not meet my two VW clean diesel tdis (VW507), probably because the tdis use a 5w-30 and not 5w-40 weight.

Jeff

That was fast, just received this from Shell.

Jeff, Rotella T6 5W-40 meets the MA2 requirement, see the following link:

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_Local_TDS_United_States_Shell_Rotella_T6_5W-40_%28CJ-4%29_%28en-US%29_TDS.pdf

Thank you for your interest in Shell products.

Richard Moore

Lubricants Technical Advisor

Shell Lubricants

Westhollow Technology Center, 3333 Hwy 6 South, Houston TX 77082-3101, United States of America

Guess that settles it.

Jeff

Here's more from the Shell (Penzoil) people. Yes, they are making the oil for BMW, it's just that BMW is charging nearly 3 times the price of Rotella T6.

Hello Jeff Anderson,

Thank you for your inquiry on Motorcycle engine oils. Shell is manufacturing the lubricatiomn for BMW. Any Technical Data Sheet or SDS would be availble from BMW for the product they are selling.

I have enclosed the most current Technical Data Sheet for the Rotella T6 5W-40. This full synthetic oil does meet the JASO MA2 specification.

If you have any further questions please call our hotline at: 1-800-237-8645, option3, 2.

Sincerely,

Pennzoil Technical Information, ds

• 2 weeks later...

Mfg. recommends : Casterol Power 1 Racing 4T 5W-40 winter and 10W-50 summer . This is a fully synthetic oil , basically the same as BMW oil.

Mfg. recommends : Casterol Power 1 Racing 4T 5W-40 winter and 10W-50 summer . This is a fully synthetic oil , basically the same as BMW oil.

Afternoon Bob

What (publish date) BMW manual or service bulletin did you get that info from?

The latest I have on the 1200RT wethead doesn't mention anything about WINTER (winter where?) or mention 10w50 oil.

Archived