IGNORED

Iphone 6+ mount

Hammer610

I am looking for a mount for my new iPhone. I was hoping to mount it in the dash area as opposed to on the bars. Although I won't rule out bar mounts. Perhaps mounting it in a tank bag would be a great option too. Any suggestions with photos would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I do not have a suggestion for you just yet. Perhaps you could share with us what bike you are looking to install on. Those of us who have similar model and phone would likely chime in with their application. If they do not yet have a solution, surely an engaging discussion could ensue.

You did say iphone 6 plus, yes? The bigger one, aka phablet?

Happy Miles to you!

Oh yes great idea! 1996 R1100RT. Sorry about that!

Yes, the 6 plus "phablet"... Lmao!!!

Thanks for your reply Chris!

One problem that I have run into with mounting it in a tankbag (if you mean the clear map pocket on top) is that with a decent amount of sunshine on the bag, there will be excessive heat and the iPhone will not be happy. I had this happen to me on a day ride and I didn't notice until I stopped to take the picture in my avatar. I had to take the phone out and place it in my tail bag with some cold items to bring it's temp down before I could use it.

The other question would be, is the iPhone in an aftermarket case? I know that there is a specific mount for my iPhone5 in an Otterbox Defender, and then connect to standard RAM Mount hardware to attach to the bike.

Great info Glenn! I didn't even think about the heat factor. I would like to incorporate the phone into a blue tooth intercom system. (Which is a whole other upcoming post).

It is in a pelican voyager case. The case doesn't add too much bulk to the phone.

at this point I am totally clueless as to my options and what has worked or not worked for some folks.

I am a freak for making things look and work like a factory option. In the past I have modified good ideas to make them (in my opinion) great ideas.

where did you get the otter defender ram mount device?

I need one for a Gs5..

Sig,

I haven't actually purchased said mount, but I did a little research when I was considering doing so.

Here's a place that sells mounts specific to the phone and the case.

Here's the page for GS5 with Pelican Voyager.

... I would like to incorporate the phone into a blue tooth intercom system... (Which is a whole other upcoming post).

Why not just put it in your tank bag? I have a BMW Nav V GPS and an iPhone 6. I simply put the phone in my tank bag and it works like a charm, synced to my GPS and to my SENA bluetooth intercom. Works well, it's out of the elements and (I'm assuming) subject to fewer vibrations than if it were mounted on the bars. I also have a cable that allows me to plug it into an accessory outlet to keep it charged, though I don't always do that.

On my RT, I run my I-5 in a RAM X-mount in the left mirror hole.

RAM now has a larger X-mount mount for larger phones as well.

In dry central Cali, I dont worry about rain, but I do get trapped out in the heat (100+) during my PT job. With this mount, ithe phone doesn't overheat.

I only use a soft rubber sleeve type case, totally no help if it rains, but if by chance it does sprinkle, I just drop the phone in the glovebox next to the G26.

The GPS still nags with directions and I get my music via a Sena 10 or a Scala G4. I much prefer the G4 due to it having active volume.

I never have to fiddle with volume, no matter what the speed.

The Scala 4 has been updated to the G9 and the G9X I think but my old G4 refuses to die.

If you have a good GPS app, actually looking at the screen isn't needed anyway, plus it's dangerous. I use Motion X Drive and sometimes Google maps. drive gives you better heads up on upcoming turns.

I would like to incorporate the phone into a blue tooth intercom system. (Which is a whole other upcoming post).

Chris,

I'm not sure exactly how that set up would work, so I guess I am asking how accessible the phone needs to be? Both sight and reach.

I was hoping it would be easy access and easy to see. And out of the weather. Security is also a HUGE factor. I don't want my phone skidding across the road after hitting a pothole. I guess I want it all😊. I was hoping for pictures of what others found to work for them.

Thanks all for your input.

Super easy, super effective and relatively cheap:

Ram Ball Mount 367U about $12

pp_ramb367u.jpg

Ram X-Grip RAM-HOL-UN7BU about $25

RAM-HOL-UN7BUIU2.jpg

Ram Double-Socket Arm (these come in different lengths, you'll probably want the 3.5" arm.) RAM-B-201U about $14

RAM-B-201U1.jpg

These work great. I had it on my old Silverwing, with a GPS mount. Then I bought the X-mount and transferred the ball over to my '99 RT. When the mount isn't on there, you barely notice the ball.

Awesome sweendog! Do you have any photos of it mounted on your bike? I am somewhat familiar with similar mounts. I contemplated using a similar mount on my boat for a GPS.

Thanks folks for your suggestions! Please keep them coming with photos please.

szurszewski

These work great. I had it on my old Silverwing, with a GPS mount. Then I bought the X-mount and transferred the ball over to my '99 RT. When the mount isn't on there, you barely notice the ball.

I have this setup in my car (ball is mounted in the little dashtop cubby where a factory nav system would live, so when not in use I can fold it down, close the cubby and have no visible mount) for my phone or GPS; been worried about using it on the bike though for fear the phone would bounce loose. Sounds like I could stop worrying.

Chris,

Do you plan on using the iPhone for a GPS as well? If you do, you might want to look at the shelf options and mount it above the gauges.

I also use and like the RAM mounts. I've had a bit of a problem getting the plastic wingnut tight enough so that a heavier GPS doesn't move, especially with the longer double-socket arms. So, I replaced it with a regular nut that you can tighten with a wrench.

Yes, GPS, music, phone. I am somewhat familiar with the shelf but would like to see some pics of one in use.

Yes, GPS, music, phone. I am somewhat familiar with the shelf but would like to see some pics of one in use.

Here's one.....

shelf.JPG

There are also a bunch of dash photos here...... Linky

Nice! Thanks!

If my recollections are correct, I remember reflections off the windshield from the speedo and tach at certain windshield angles. Perhaps the shelf will shield this....?

Nice!

Id like a shelf also. Probably have to make one.

Anyone have a template?

I've got the RCU accessory shelf. Google it and you'll find a couple of places to get one. I think there is one on ebay right now. Maybe a bit expensive for what it is, but you get the little brackets and screws. I can template the shelf for you if you want to make one.

Here's my setup, sorry the photos are a bit dark.

The ball mount, the slightly longer bolt, goes through the pass-through ball replacing one of the original handle bar mount bolts.

IMG_2619%5B1%5D.JPG

Here's a shot of an iPhone 6 held vertically by the X-Mount:

IMG_2622%5B1%5D.JPG

And horizontally (you have to loosen the ball, and rotate the mount, then tighten the ball).

IMG_2623%5B1%5D.JPG

If you go to the album here: RAM Mount album

you can see a shot from the side, and a shot with the arm and the GPS mount I use with my Zumo, for when I don't want to use the iPhone. I have a cord that I made that I plug the Zumo or iPhone into the Powerlet socket on the dash. (The iPhone required an adapter to power a USB converter.)

-Bill

Thanks folks for your information. I am kinda leaning toward the shelf at this point but will make my decision when my bike is returned from storage and I can sit on it and decide what will work best for me.

Regards,

Chris

Archived