IGNORED

Coolant Expansion Tank Nipple

BarryBeemer

BarryBeemer

So I decided to check my coolant level the other day and found it just at the "MIN" line. I removed the right side panel to check a little further and discovered a "nipple" near the top of the tank jutting out at a 90 degree angle with no hose on it. It certainly looks like it should have a hose on it.

I visited my local dealer to discuss the issue. Both the Parts and Service Departments spent a good deal of time checking into it, but the results were "persuasive, but not conclusive". They didn't have an RT-LC on the floor and the BMW computer images gave conflicting results.

Anyone have any experience with this?

• 2 weeks later...
BarryBeemer

Still wondering whether I have a hose missing or this is by design. The next time you have your right side panel off and can get a peek at the coolant expansion tank, would you mind looking at yours? On the opposite side of the fill hole (which has a black rubber disc covering it), you'll see what looks like a "nipple" for an overflow hose to connect to. Does it have a hose on it or does it simply act as a vent?

Much appreciated! Thanks!

mountainmann

They stopped putting this hose on the GS bikes last year too. The parts diagram for the cooling system no longer shows a drain hose for the nipple. Bulk hose is available from auto parts stores if this is a concern.

Archived