IGNORED

Long travel tips

Dave CR

Hi everyone,

So I am planning a trip to South America in October this year so I want to start preparing my bike and myself for the ride. This will be my first trip this far and for this long so I am excited about it. Dont have any companions yet as I don't think I will find any here in Costa Rica.

I will be spending 30-45 days on this adventure and I am looking for some advise on what type of replacement parts I should be carrying with me and what maintenance should I do to the bike prior to the trip.

I will be riding my R1100RT '99 and departing from Costa Rica down to Argentina.

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Can't really help ya in that part of the world but I enjoyed Mundo Bravo's adventure south.

A bit short of your destination but a little motivation I guess. Similar bike, good Luck!

Pat

A good tool kit - most important. Be sure to add to it the usual file, hacksaw blade, bailing wire, duct tape, epoxy, electrical bits, etc. for the make-shift / crash repair kit.

I read somewhere, a travelogue from a guy who rode around South America. Of course you can't carry everything with you, so he had an interesting solution for certain replacement parts. He left a bunch of parts with a friend, with the notion that when he needed brake pads or a final drive, this friend would box it up and fed-ex it to him at his hotel.

This scheme made sense to some degree, because he was focused on being frugal, and he already had a lot of replacement parts at home in the garage. But I'm guessing you could, with a little forethought, get the same effect by working with your favorite supplier.

That's a great suggestion. It would probably take 2-3 days to Fed/Ex it to whichever country.

I am also thinking that I would need a new battery, new tires, brake pads before I leave. Also, to take some oil filters with me just in case I cant find them down there.

Another question related to this: What riding gear would you recommend? An specific model or brand? For pant and jacket

My RC is still going strong after nineteen years. Probably should wash it though. :eek: Klim seems to be making a strong showing these days, I'm gonna take a peek at their stuff soon.

125_2b.jpg

Pat

Archived