IGNORED

Southeast KY Help

kltk165

Hey folks... I've been wanting to get down to Southeast Kentucky for a while now and it looks like I'm finally going to get a chance to make it happen the last weekend in May (5/28-5/31). The current plan is to roll in from NJ on Thursday (We'll be trailering the bike) and heading home Monday. We'll be staying in Hazard, KY, although this is not set in stone so, if there are better options I'm all ears. Looking to ride as many twisty bits as I can find and, hopefully, find some unique places for eats with the wife and maybe some cool stops to give us some downtime. Trips are expected to be in the 250 mile range per day. If there's a must see lowering that to 175-200 isn't a problem.

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I found THIS THREAD about the Fall 2009 gathering in South Eastern KY. I have no idea which roads I was on, but we rode some of them over and over. Fabulous riding down that way. Not too shabby coming in the KY through WV either.

Update: All the Ride Routes for that gathering appear to be old, nonworking, links. Maybe someone saved them and can share them with you?

The Rocketman

A 2 hour ride (89 miles) each way will take you Southwest to Middlesboro, KY to Cumberland Gap National Historic Park. Head up to the top of the mountain on Pinnacle View Road. When you get to the top, if your face doesn't hurt from smiling so much, you can thank me. More tight switchbacks, twists, decreasing radius turns, steep grades and elevation changes than you'd normally know what to do with. Not for the newbie or faint of heart, either going up or down. Well worth the ride and some breath-taking panoramic views from the very top, after a short walk.

An hour and a half (73 miles) due west of Hazard in Corbin, KY is the Cumberland Falls State Preserve Park, right on the outskirts of Daniel Boone National Forest. Very pretty waterfalls and nice riding around there too.

While in Corbin, you can also visit the Harland Sanders Cafe and Museum. It houses a modern KFC restaurant as well as a museum of the 1st Kentucky Fried Chicken Restaurant. I'm sure its not a "bucket list" destination, but it was pretty cool anyway.

Last August a group of friends and I rented a house for about 10 days in Pineville, KY and took day trips throughout TN, KY & WVA. Took 3 days down, and 2 days back, staying at the Brazen Head Inn in Mingo, WVA on the way home. Totaled about 3,000 miles from my door on Long Island and back. You'd be hard pressed to find a bad road down there. Most of the KY "3 numbered" roads are fantastic. But do not overlook the "4 number" local roads. Almost all of those offered great riding, nice surprises, great views, and very little, if any traffic.

John Ranalletta

Lots of great roads everywhere in the area, but I'd suggest you consider going just a little further SE to Johnson City. If you're slabbing on 81, it's closer than Hazard.

You can ride north around Pikeville one day and S/SE the next.

The Snake

While in Corbin, you can also visit the Harland Sanders Cafe and Museum. It houses a modern KFC restaurant as well as a museum of the 1st Kentucky Fried Chicken Restaurant. I'm sure its not a "bucket list" destination, but it was pretty cool anyway.

:rofl:

Got ten? This would be easily doable from your base.

Ps... Click on the cogwheel and dial it up to 720

Pat

Archived