IGNORED

World Superbike

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

It's been a week, if you haven't watched it, you may get spoilers here.

Both SBK races at Phillip Island were excitingly close and blessedly free of U. S. commentators for the most part. The SS race was a disappointment to me, as I hate it when Kenan isn't up front bashing people.

But to the SBK races: I'm certainly no expert on racing, but it seemed that despite being close, there wasn't as much...I dunno...SPEED.

I took a look at the rules changes, and can figure some of it out, although the electronics part is confusing. Apparently the factories have to provide their software to all the other teams (of the same brand?) and everyone is using a spec ECU. Various mechanical changes are also mandated, in a sense dumbing down the engine mechanicals technology towards current street versions of the bikes.

You can see details here: http://www.sportrider.com/sportbike-news/2015-world-superbike-championship-regulations-released

The closer racing is exciting, and it seems most of the rules changes are related to cost reduction, in an effort to keep the grid from shrinking, like MGP's. But here's the thing: if I read the charts correctly both winners this year were more than THREE AND A HALF MINUTES slower than Laverty's win last year. Put another way, the winning time this year would have been dead last in 2014. Way dead last. Or I could be wrong.

Finally, WHY did Guintoli move to Pata after winning the championship last year?

I will loan you my software from my KTM. Now, you happy?

The racing was much closer, and safer looked like to me. I enjoyed both races.

markgoodrich
Best way to watch is to get the Video Pass on worldsbk.com

In previous years the U. S. was blacked out from the SBK video pass. I haven't checked this year, as I have BeInSport, in HD. Same feed.

Now if the AMA pulls it together this year like promised.

The AMA sanctions the racing, but Moto America (link) is responsible for organizing TV coverage and such. According to their web site, all Moto America events will be broadcast on CBS Sports.

In previous years the U. S. was blacked out from the SBK video pass.

I had it last year..worked great..got it again.

CoarsegoldKid

Haslam did a splendid job on the bike Guintoli should have been on. I imagine that the offers and commitments to race WSB and MOTOGP from Aprilia muddied the waters and came too late. Haslam rode the wheels off that Aprilia.

Archived