IGNORED

Damaged Saddlebag Questions

JMertz

Morning folks. Last summer I slid my 2008 RT across a roundabout and probably need to replace the left saddle bag. I gather from searching here that saddlebags from hexheads and camheads are interchangeable, so from 2005 to 2010 inclusive. Both the cover and the internals of the latching mechanism are damaged. The cover I could have painted, but the latch seems irrepairable - I'm talking here about the moving plastic pieces that fix the bag to the bike. The elbow shaped plastic piece which sticks out of the bag and grabs onto the bike is broken. Metal sliding / camming parts are also bent (internal to the bag), so I think the bag is a loss. I'd love to be able to McGyver it but I just don't think it's doable. I think the weak link is the broken plastic latch piece, which I don't see as a separate part on any fiche. I don't think a glue repair will hold there. If you guys think I'm wrong about that, let me know.

So my options seem to be 1) buy a new left side bag, 2) find a used bag that I can repaint, 3) somehow cobble together parts to make a working bag, or 4)other?

What do you guys think my best options are? Is there anywhere besides eBay and CL that I should look for parts or used bags?

Thank you

I gather from searching here that saddlebags from hexheads and camheads are interchangeable, so from 2005 to 2010 inclusive.

Actually, 2005 to 2013 should be fine. And same era K1200 and K1300 models.

Thanks Good to know. I extracted the part from the bag that is broken and may try to fix it. Will take some McGyvering to make it hold. There is a part number on the broken piece and a number underneath that describes the kind of plastic (long strand resin or something like that) that it is made out of. I googled both and the material number had a hit, not the part number though. Do you think I have any chance of getting BMW to respond to the part number? I wrote to the plant in Germany and they forwarded my message to BMW US. I told them upfront that sending me to the dealer would do no good since the fiche does not show this part as replaceable. Still, my bet is there is a part like this in some corner of a manufacturing plant somewhere.

Does anyone know who manufactures the saddlebags for BMW, or did in 2008?

Guest Kakugo

Does anyone know who manufactures the saddlebags for BMW, or did in 2008?

J.D. Von Hagen AG manufactured most if not all bodywork parts for Hexhead's, including the side cases.

If you need parts you'll probably have better luck trying to find an inner side case shell from a crashed bike. You can either fit your lock on it (if that's even possible) or use it for parts.

• 2 months later...

Sort of along the same lines... need to repaint my saddle bags, so to try and make this easier for the body shop thought I'd try to dissemble as much as possible. Easy to remove the lid but wondering if the outer (body color) shell separates from the inner shell? Or is this even necessary to save effort and $$ at body shop?

Anyone out there have experience with this particular area?

VoipWizard
Sort of along the same lines... need to repaint my saddle bags, so to try and make this easier for the body shop thought I'd try to dissemble as much as possible. Easy to remove the lid but wondering if the outer (body color) shell separates from the inner shell? Or is this even necessary to save effort and $$ at body shop?

Anyone out there have experience with this particular area?

There are just a couple of screws on the hex heads to separate the lid from the saddle (is that the right term?)

You don't need to separate the shell from the plastic part. Good masking is enough (IMHO)

I had to go twice to the body shop because I forgot to close the latch the very first ride after painting them... yes.,,

What I did was to take another painted body part for them to match the actual bike color. If the shop is familiar with BMW the color will come out perfect..I paid $350 to paint both lids and the topcase lid; topcases come with that flat paint that is close to the "TitanSilber" grey color of mine but is not the same. Good luck

Archived