Passing of Leonard Nimoy

RonStewart

I am sad to learn that Leonard Nimoy passed away this morning. Mr Spock was an important influence on me, and I don't think anybody else could have played the role properly.

I am an early riser and enjoy seeing some real old reruns of "Seahunt" and "Highway Patrol" as I get motivated for the day. Nimoy was a bit part actor in those series from time to time. Needless to say, he lived long and prospered!

Dave McReynolds

When the series originally came out, I was in the Marines and later starting college, so I don't think I saw any of them at that time, although I have a vague recollection of walking past a lobby area in my dorm where a bunch of people were ingrossed in it. I don't think my wife saw any of the original series either. But about 10 years later, they happened to be showing re-runs at about the time we were getting ready for dinner, and we both got hooked on them. Once we got hooked, we would sit in front of the television every time a rerun was on and have our before dinner drinks while we watched Star Trek. That was about the only TV we watched, and it was all new to us. I remember when the first Star Trek movie came out, and it was like seeing a bunch of old friends again. My now ex-wife gave me a boxed set of the 5 Star Trek movies based on the original series as a Christmas present last year, some of which I had never seen. I won't say that Star Trek and Spock has been an important part of my life, but it is a part of my life on which I look back fondly.

Been enjoying a Nimoy marathon on METV this evening. He's in a Columbo episode. I keep waiting for him to put the vulcan nerve pinch on ol' Peter Falk, and put us all out of our misery.... vulcan.gif

Yes indeed, it's a sad day, with the loss of a talented actor and director. Shatner's still with us, but that might be because it was Spock, not Kirk, who selflessly exposed himself to dilithium crystal radiation numerous times to save the Enterprise and crew.

The Museum of Science in Boston has for at least a decade played this on their Omni.

Leonard Nimoy grew up in Somerville, just a few blocks from the MOS in Boston.

A very sad day indeed. Years ago the SciFi channel (now calledSyFy) played the entire original Star Trek series completely unedited with brief interviews of the actors, writers,etc. There were two complete series of these shows. One was narrated by William Shatner and the other by Leonard Nimoy. Very enjoyable.

I think that I have seen everything on TV or in the movies associated with Star Trek with the exception of Voyager. Just couldn't seem to click with that one.

He was quite the director also. I do remember Three Men and a Baby from a while back. He was also the voice of a villain on at least one of the Transformer movies so evidently he was working up until nearly the end of his life.

RIP Leonard!

Archived