IGNORED

Bad news

johnlt

Hate to say this but we have a injured member. Joe Harvey crashed on a dirt ride in southern Arizona today. He is the the Sierra Vista hospital with a broken hip/leg with surgery tomorrow. Barry Hatfield is tending him and his bike. More on the status tomorrow.;

John:

Ouch!!! Pass on best wishes.

I'm sure eddd will give him all the tips necessary for recovery ;)

The father of one of my partners fell riding his bike (bicycle) and did the same thing last summer. He was back on two wheels in 10 weeks.

Mike Cassidy

Thank you for the heads up, John.

Poor Joe, he's in some real pain. He'll be in my thoughts for a good outcome from the surgery. It's really good to know Barry is with him.

Morning __

Don't like to hear of these things but if riding a dirt bike off road with gusto then it can happen quickly & violently. (BTDT)

Wishing Joe a quick & full recovery.

It's gonna be hard for Joe to get home if he doesn't have Medjet Assist. This is another reminder that we should all have that service, or one like it. They get you (and your bike if you add the rider) home by whatever means necessary, from anywhere in the world. Chris Olson used it last year to get home from the Unrally when he broke his...what...collarbone?

If you're of age, AARP offers a discount which pays for the AARP membership.

... Medjet Assist... They get you (and your bike if you add the rider) home by whatever means necessary, from anywhere in the world. Chris Olson used it last year to get home from the Unrally when he broke his...what...collarbone?.
Yep, essential service to have. Sounds like Joe's injury would qualify. In my case I wasn't hospitalized (separated shoulder), so trip home was on me. But the bike made it back to Phoenix 'free'.

Man I hate it! I had a big dirt crash back in the 80's, over the bars at about 60, fractured pelvis and separated shoulder. Wasn't easy convincing customers they needed a new motorcycle while hobbling around the showroom on one crutch with an arm in a sling.. :grin:

Heal well Joe.

Joe made it through the night in good shape and is looking good today surrounded by pretty nurses.

His surgery is actually Saturday hopefully around midday.

I'm going to be hanging around for a few days to see if the doc will let Joe ride home with his bike in my truck. I will try to keep you updated after the surgery tomorrow.

Joe made it through the night in good shape and is looking good today surrounded by pretty nurses.

I'm going to be hanging around for a few days to see if the doc will let Joe ride home with his bike in my truck. I will try to keep you updated after the surgery tomorrow.

Thank you very much for the update, Barry. I'm sure this has taken a toll on you too. It sure is good knowing he's got you by his side. You aren't trying to make him laugh, are you?

HUGS to you both!

Truer words have never been spoken.......... :Cool:

Heal fast and don't "man-Up" with pain- take the pain meds as all the evidence shows you heal faster if pain is kept in check.

Thank you very much for the update, Barry. I'm sure this has taken a toll on you too. It sure is good knowing he's got you by his side. You aren't trying to make him laugh, are you?

HUGS to you both!

Truer words have never been spoken.......... :Cool:

Heal fast and don't "man-Up" with pain- take the pain meds as all the evidence shows you heal faster if pain is kept in check.

Kathy, I'm certain he's taking his morphine. He's sent me a reply to an email three times...

But what's all this about broken ribs? All I've read is the femoral break: the upper end of the femur, there's a bump called the greater trochanter. He busted that and the fracture extended somewhat across the "neck" of the femur. Luckily the femur head wasn't involved, so as long as the screws hold and he retains blood supply to the femoral head, I am thinking he'll be fine.

HOWEVER: given that this is two low sides in less than a year, I'm thinking Joe either needs to consider trying a high side, or triking the KTM.

Hey guys there are NO broken ribs! I believe Lawnchair boy was merely comiserating with Joe comparing his own experience to what Joe is going through.

Surgery confirmed for 10:45am Saturday. Joe is doing great; the pain meds are working well; he has a great appetite.

Joe made it through the night in good shape and is looking good today surrounded by pretty nurses......I'm going to be hanging around for a few days to see if the doc will let Joe ride home with his bike in my truck. I will try to keep you updated after the surgery tomorrow.

I had sympathy for Joe until I got to the part about the pretty nurses. :P Geez, some guys will do anything to hang out with the hotties!

That being said, I wish him well and extend my thanks and appreciation to you, Barry, for sticking with your riding buddy and seeing him home. :thumbsup:

Ok so Joe's alright.....Wonderful news!!

What about the bike? :lurk:

I'm thinking Joe either needs to consider trying a high side, or triking the KTM.

I think there may be a new market of us older dirt riders. "KTM Trikes"

Bummer Joe! That said, sounds like you'll be up but maybe not running for the N meets S event. Good to hear you had Barry around to smooth things out.

OK, Joe Harvey was supposed to have surgery this morning and made it to the OR when the anesthesiologist discovered a nurse had given him an anti-coagulant that would have caused him to bleed out during the surgery. A mere clerical mistake and they were very apologetic!!!!!!!!! OMG unbelievable.

Surgery now scheduled for tomorrow morning if no further attempts are made on Joe's life by the hospital staff.

Joe is very unhappy, upset, etc...... positive vibes needed!

OK, Joe Harvey was supposed to have surgery this morning and made it to the OR when the anesthesiologist discovered a nurse had given him an anti-coagulant that would have caused him to bleed out during the surgery. A mere clerical mistake and they were very apologetic!!!!!!!!! OMG unbelievable.

Surgery now scheduled for tomorrow morning if no further attempts are made on Joe's life by the hospital staff.

And positive vibes sent!!!

Mike Cassidy

%#*&! :mad: There you are, at your worst, very vulnerable, and you are confronted with a life threatening mistake. Thank goodness for that anesthesiologist, but that is a hell of a check and balance system.

Joe, I hope the extra day actually works to your benefit, somehow. Yeah, that's it......damn glass is half full. :) You'll be home soon.

Barry, Having a friend around, who get's you, is such a comfort.

Peter Horrocks

Good Lord, as someone who qualified as a nurse back in the 70's I find it hard to believe that a RN would give an anti coagulant the day before surgery! Hang on in there Joe, we are all thinking about you!

+1000000

The DR that did my complete shoulder replacement convinced me.

Pain free = quick healing!!!!!

barryNmarin

Joe Harvey had his surgery this morning and all went well. He is back in his room feeling no pain till the meds wear off. He will be in the hospital for another day or two while the physical therapist assess him and then likely go to a local facility for a few days of PT. Juanita arrives tomorrow and will take charge of the patient. Joe thanks you all for the well wishes and offers of assistance as he begins his recovery.

Thank you Barry for taking care of our friend :clap:

The first drink when I see you in Oakhurst is on me!

Don J :wave:

Thank you Barry for taking care of our friend :clap:

The first drink when I see you in Oakhurst is on me!

Don J :wave:

Second drink is on me!!

-Dennis

Joe was "air ambulanced" out of Sierra Vista this morning along with Juanita who came in last night. Their insurance company agreed to do it and I just got a call that they are in the Kaiser hospital in Fresno. I had picked up Juanita at 11 last night and took her to Sierra Vista. We didn't get there until after 1AM and she left again on the air ambulance at about 9 this morning. Everything seems to be working out ok on a difficult situation.

Archived