Whizzy Brake Current Draw?

MarkAZ

The other day while sitting at a stop light at idle I noticed that when I applied the brakes the engine slowed down by about 100 rpm. The bike (04 R1150RT, 26k miles) idles at about 1100 rpm (about a needle's width above 1000), the battery is less than a year old & always on a tender when garaged and AFAIK the charging system works fine. How much power do those whizzy brakes draw, anyway?

No big deal, I was just a bit surprised.

*Lots* of amps -- can't remember the number off the top of my head, but enough that:

(i) the system has a voltage sensor and will shut off the ABS (and throw a dash warning) if it doesn't think there's enough juice to operate, and

(ii) -- I believe I'm remembering this correctly -- during a BMW press intro in Spain a few years ago, after multiple immediate back-to-back ABS demonstration passes (10? 20?) without enough battery recharge time (in other words, many battery-draining high current-draw braking operations), a press member was killed when the Integral ABS system unexpectedly failed to operate.

BTW, the 100 rpm drop at idle is normal -- my 1150 does it at any stop light that I'm holding the brake lever.

Morning Mark

Your ABS servo pumps are powered directly off the back of the alternator (no fuse) as they do draw a sizable amount of current.

Under some stopped conditions that will lower the engine RPM enough the be noticeable to the rider.

Your 2004 1150 is a late enough build to have the version 9 software in the ABS controller so the rear servo pump should shut down as a power saving measure (only at stand still & at engine idle) & only once a certain rear pressure is reached & the rear brake pedal only is used to hold bike.

BTW, the 100 rpm drop at idle is normal -- my 1150 does it at any stop light that I'm holding the brake lever.

+1. Mine too. Maybe not quite a 100rpm.

Archived