Mitre saws on a budget?

Twinsig

Any of you grease-heads do carpentry?

Im shopping for a dual bevel mitre saw wondering if yall have any input/experience with the cheap stuff from big Orange or big Blue Store.

Oh, and "fairly" cheap!

Borrowing is out, ive had offers, but no one wants to loan it for 3 years.

russell_bynum
Any of you grease-heads do carpentry?

Im shopping for a dual bevel mitre saw wondering if yall have any input/experience with the cheap stuff from big Orange or big Blue Store.

Oh, and "fairly" cheap!

Borrowing is out, ive had offers, but no one wants to loan it for 3 years.

I don't know how heavy-duty or precise you need, but I bought Ryobi's low-end (actually...it's one step up from the bottom end...it has a laser guide) 10" compound miter saw from Lowes a little over 10 years ago. I'm not a heavy user, but I've used it to build cabinets, work benches, a fish tank stand, baseboard, chair rail, shelves, a couple of tables, and crown molding, and an assortment of other typically random things. I've never had an issue with it...though I did put a decent blade on it.

There have been a few times when I wished I had a sliding compound miter saw, but most of the time what I've got works just fine.

Kind of depends on what you're using it for. Nearly all of our trim carpenters use Dewalt. They seem to hold up well under consistent use. I bought a cheap-o Chicago from HF to finish my basement (not dual bevel). It worked just fine and now it sits in the corner. But that was it's destiny.

Kind of depends on what you're using it for. Nearly all of our trim carpenters use Dewalt. They seem to hold up well under consistent use. I bought a cheap-o Chicago from HF to finish my basement (not duel bevel). It worked just fine and now it sits in the corner. But that was it's destiny.

HF currently has a 12" sliding compound double-bevel miter saw on sale (per the latest flyer) for $135. I have one and once you learn it, it produces repeatable results. I bought a rollable folding stand for mine at Costco for about $69 (n/a in stores any more, but it was in the catalog when I last saw it a year or so ago). So now it's portable and also folds up against the wall when not in use.

Thanks,

Home use only Grief, and will likely have the same fate as yours.

Might just dumb it down some and get a single bevel 10".

EFF, YOU have the HF dual bevel? And its accurate, almost?

All im doing is hardwood flooring & crown, for now..

The HFs will cut HW and crown just fine. Just get you a nice blade. It's the coping that that can be tricky, anyway. Let us know how many bevels you cut backwards on the crown. :grin::dopeslap:

Thanks,

Home use only Grief, and will likely have the same fate as yours.

Might just dumb it down some and get a single bevel 10".

EFF, YOU have the HF dual bevel? And its accurate, almost?

I believe I do. It's tucked up against a corner of the garage with other stuff in front of it right now (bought it a couple of years ago and haven't needed the dual bevel feature yet). As for accuracy, you get what you pay for. It does have a few thou more "slop" in it than a high-end brand, but I expected that. Nevertheless, if you learn the saw and when to compensate for it, you get perfect results. For some, that's inexcusable. For me, given how often it gets used, 3-4x/yr, it's perfectly fine.

The HFs will cut HW and crown just fine. Just get you a nice blade. It's the coping that that can be tricky, anyway. Let us know how many bevels you cut backwards on the crown. :grin::dopeslap:

Don't ask him how he knows! :wave::rofl:

Having created tons of sawdust, my only advice is suck it up and buy a really, really good blade. I know it's like spending big bucks on a Beemer and then someone says to you "Ya know you need $1500 worth of riding gear, right?"

Or, if you really can not go top shelf, Diablo is a good choice at HD, just get the best one they sell for cross cutting.

I burned all the evidence in the fire pit out back. Plus it's the end result that counts anyway.....

IMG_1051.JPG

Joe Frickin' Friday
Or, if you really can not go top shelf, Diablo is a good choice at HD, just get the best one they sell for cross cutting.

:confused:

OK, I'll bite. What's better than a Diablo? I've got a Diablo 90-tooth, and while there may be others that cut as well as it does, it's hard to imagine one that cuts better.

OK, I'll bite. What's better than a Diablo? I've got a Diablo 90-tooth, and while there may be others that cut as well as it does, it's hard to imagine one that cuts better.

Freud Premier Fusion

I burned all the evidence in the fire pit out back. Plus it's the end result that counts anyway.....

IMG_1051.JPG

Sweet! :thumbsup:

Freud Premier Fusion

I prefer Forrest, but either one is good. I have a Delta chop saw with laser guide, which is a decent saw. Get a good blade AND maintain it. Most local shops that sell equipment will sharpen blades and replace lost teeth for a nominal fee. I've seen lots of folks who buy good equipment, then never do any maintenance. That's like buying a nice motorcycle and not tuning it - it'll run great for a while, but eventually...

So, get a decent saw, get a good blade, and keep everything in good working order. And practice, practice, practice.

I've seen lots of folks who buy good equipment, then never do any maintenance. That's like buying a nice motorcycle and not tuning it - it'll run great for a while, but eventually...

I agree, but, prices on some of these kinds of tools (especially HF) are almost in the "disposable" category. For instance, a couple years ago, I had to build a deck on my house. I've never really had the need to own a hammer drill prior. But, I needed to bolt the ledger board through the brick, to the rim board, 18 holes. I bought a 1/2" chuck, corded hammer drill from HF for 19 bucks. By the time I got to hole 17, it was smoking and when I got through 18, fire actually shot out the vent fins and it was done. :grin: I threw it in the trash and finished the deck with my Milwaukee 3/8" chuck Hole Shooter that my dad bought me 20 years ago.

I bought a cheapo Miter Saw once mainly for portability. The thing "jumped" upon initial start, making accurate cuts impossible. The thing was only good for making fireplace kindling.

My daily-driver car is an old Honda Civic that's been paid for for many years. This frees up money for high-end tools and supplements my MC hobby.

My daily-driver car is an old Honda Civic that's been paid for for many years. This frees up money for high-end tools and supplements my MC hobby.

My mother didn't inform me I have a long lost twin brother. :wave:

A couple of years ago I went into a BLUE Big Box store and they had Hitachi on sale. It was a high end that went for $800 but on sale it was $425. After the sales dude explained the differences between this saw and a normal $300 - $400 saw we talked more. I think I got it for around $375 but I also had one of those %10 off coupons. A friend of mine registered with LOWES and said they were a new home owner and got a couple of coupons - that's how I got the 10% off.

btw, the big differences between the "high end" and others was the fact that there are adjustments all over the place in case it gets out of tolerance. You can adjust 45 degrees to be exactly 45 degrees etc.

My mother didn't inform me I have a long lost twin brother. :wave:

:grin:

Archived