IGNORED

Wethead Windscreens

jeff55

I just put the windshield on the bike this Saturday with all the bad weather I had some honey dues pile up, Sunday came and so did the rain, hasn't stopped. I won't get to ride until the weekend. I think the shield is going to be a keeper.

Jay

Surely with all the rain, that is THE time to test that screen?

Andy you are funny. I got my badge too many time for riding in bad weather... This weekend I have a ride, it isn't long but I'll put about 500 sMiles on and then I'll report. Sorry for the delay, timing and weather.

As for the logo it isn't all that bad. The R1200RT logo is large like on the BMW comfort screen I believe the company logo is much smaller.

Jay

I just put the windshield on the bike this Saturday with all the bad weather I had some honey dues pile up, Sunday came and so did the rain, hasn't stopped. I won't get to ride until the weekend. I think the shield is going to be a keeper.

Jay

Andy you are funny. I got my badge too many time for riding in bad weather... This weekend I have a ride, it isn't long but I'll put about 500 sMiles on and then I'll report. Sorry for the delay, timing and weather.

As for the logo it isn't all that bad. The R1200RT logo is large like on the BMW comfort screen I believe the company logo is much smaller.

Jay

Finally took delivery of my "buy-back" special R1200RT last week...

Wunderlich Screen arrived yesterday from Nippy Normans.

Cleveland is still stuck in the ice age so I won't get a chance to test the screen for a week or so.

I ordered the tinted screen so I am happy to report that the logos "R1200RT & Wunderlich" appear far less prominent than on the screen pictured earlier in this thread, which I believe to be clear/untinted. The tinted plastic apparently shades down the logo considerably.

Anxious to see how this screen performs... I'm optimistic about it.

d'milan

Jay

Jay

Just back from my ride, my local cub had our TGIS (Thank God It's Spring) ride this weekend SWEET!

I road about 500 sMiles, the shield is very good. The thing is huge to me providing the protection I was looking for. It was windy this weekend which does make it harder to totally confirm. The protection include the grips, nice. As Andy said, a good ride in cold rain would be a better test that will have to wait. I think the shield is a winner!

Jay

Nice report, thanks Jay. We're starting to thaw out up here in the northland, any additional posts regarding your opinion on the windscreen would be appreciated. I probably won't end up buying one until May.

Jeff

Norm LeFevre

Jay,

I'm 5'7" and have the low seat on my RT. The stock windshield is sized well, in that I can look over it. How do you think this shield would be for someone my size?

Jay,

I'm 5'7" and have the low seat on my RT. The stock windshield is sized well, in that I can look over it. How do you think this shield would be for someone my size?

Norm,

I think you would be looking through the windshield unless it was in the low position. I personally don't like looking through a shield.

The stock shield was fine for me 6'1/2" 33-34 inseam height wise, it was the arms/shoulders I wanted protection for.

Jay

Norm LeFevre

Thanks Jay,

I want to avoid looking through the shield. I'll keep looking for something a bit wider (for arms) but still a bit low.

Norm

Jay,

Norm,

I think you would be looking through the windshield unless it was in the low position. I personally don't like looking through a shield.

Jay, I'm about the same ht and inseam as you, I have the ilium risers on mine, do you think my hands will still be protected?

The stock shield was fine for me 6'1/2" 33-34 inseam height wise, it was the arms/shoulders I wanted protection for.

Jay

• 1 month later...
Vario X-creen touring deflector mounted on the windscreen and this may be the first windscreen I don't replace with an aftermarket one. This add-on really works and the adjust ability allows me to have it push air directly on my upper chest in very hot conditions.

DSC01346_zps13e94e77.jpg

DSC01344_zpseecf11bf.jpg

RealShelby

I went ahead and purchased an X-creen windshield spoiler as pictured above, on your bike.

I went with the Clamp on version (which can also be bolted on).

The clamp-on version, even with the extension dog-bones attached, mounts too high for my liking.

IMG_07921_zpsle2xvl3v.jpg

IMG_07881_zpskbgvgqy8.jpg

If I were to drill the screen and bolt-on like you did, I might even mount it lower on the OEM screen than your installation.

The X-creen is a nice piece of kit, but won't work for me on the RT. Even with the screen in the low position the spoiler is too much in my line of sight.

I'm thinking of trying a Laminar Lip before going any further.

What screen did you finally settle on? Or does the search continue?

d'milan

realshelby

I'm thinking of trying a Laminar Lip before going any further.

What screen did you finally settle on? Or does the search continue?

d'milan

I waited on National Cycle to come out with their screens for the RT. Bought the taller version. Which is very tall. I actually drilled extra holes ( hidden by the holddown covers ) to lower it about 3/4". This is MUCH wider at the top than the stock screen and has a conventional shape at the top. It was smoother without the air dams I had fabricated on the dash for the stock screen ( which helped the stock screen a lot ). It is very good, I do wish it had a flipped up section molded into the top like the Cee Baileys for Oilheads offered. But, this one has very little distortion when looking through it. I find myself in heavy traffic where turbulence is bad with the screen raised so that I look through it. Never liked that before, but I do with this one. It is MUCH smoother for the passenger when raised so that I look through it.

Heading to North Carolina next week for the V Strom East rally. If I get in some higher temps I am anxious to see how comfortable this new screen is. It blocks a lot of air!

Archived