IGNORED

Wethead Windscreens

jeff55

Sorry about that didn't know where to post this.

Does anyone know about the so-called Comfort Windscreen available for the 2014-15 1200RT? Can't seem to find any information on how much larger it is compared to the stock one. Anyone out there have one? Is it quieter as BMW claims? There's only four bolts securing the original windscreen, why would the dealer have to install it as BMW says? Nowhere in the owners manual does it say to remove the windscreen to clean the inside of it. Any thoughts out there? Thanks, Jeff

Don't know about the comfort screen. There is 6 bolts holding on the windscreen, takes about 30 seconds to replace it. Manufacturer suggestions are simply put out there to encourage trips to the dealer service department in most cases.

National Cycle makes the factory installed windscreens for the new RT. I just bought their aftermarket version in the tall size. It is 28" tall from center bottom to center top. I believe the stock screen is about 26" tall in the center, but is a compound curve so it does not sit nearly as tall as a "straight" molded screen. My new screen is significantly quieter than the stock one was.

Jeff, I ordered a 'comfort' screen from a BMW dealer in Germany, when it arrived it was almost exactly the same as the standard screen. I kicked off with the dealer as there were some discrepancies between labels on the screen and the box it came in, in the end I sent it back, they refused to refund postage saying it was the comfort screen. I eventually managed to find someone with a comfort screen for measurements and it transpires the comfort screen is the same height as the standard screen, this is DESPITE the BMW tech details stating the comfort screen is about 7,5 cm taller than standard. In my opinion based on my experience, don't bother!

Thanks, I didn't look that close to the windscreen since the bike is up against the garage wall and could only see 4 bolted on locations. With the F800 I previously had, I ended up buying 5 aftermarket windscreens, not very happy with any of them. National Cycle, once we get out of the deep freeze here I'll look into that, quieter would be better. The aftermarket version I assume uses the same 6 bolted locations as the original screen. Again, thanks

There are two bolts under the two black bars held on by the visible 4 bolts. I'm waiting for calsci to get back to me with images of their 2014 screen, but now hinting towards the wunderlich version

Good to know, thanks a lot, the comfort screen at the official web site states "The comfort windshield is higher and wider than the standard windshield and provides maximum protection from the wind and weather". Thanks again.

jeff

There are two bolts under the two black bars held on by the visible 4 bolts. I'm waiting for calsci to get back to me with images of their 2014 screen, but now hinting towards the wunderlich version

I asked Calsci to e-mail or post pics of the 2014 RT screens at least two months ago. Nothing.

Jeff..

My .02 worth

Wisconsin huh...

I'm in Ohio/ Cleveland... we both have some time yet before riding season starts.

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=152844

Anyway

I purchased a 2014 Buyback special, it's still at the dealer, 100 miles away.

I did test ride one b-4 buying. Quite apparent immediately that for my needs the OEM screen provided good upper body coverage, but in any position, including full up, with me looking through it, which I don't do, there was too much wind noise.

As you have done, with all the bikes I've owned I've looked to lessen wind noise off of OEM screens. I have a lot of experience. R12RTs, R120GSs, K120GT Brick, K12GT Wedges, V-stroms and more.

Couple things I've learned along the way.

1. A flip at the top of the screen adds inches to the effective height of a screen. For the most part, OEM screens don't have flips at the top.

Like our current RT screen. Just basically flat. Even if you buy a BMW comfort screen, or Cee Balieys or Aeroflow... they all appear to me to be basically flat from the side on view. If Cal sci comes out with one, I'll bet it will be basically flat (no flip at the top to push air flow up and over).

2. The laminar air flow products, such as Laminar lip, MRA screen spoilers or even items like the GIVI Air Flow that I used on my GSs and V-stroms help to push air up and over in order to provide a more quiet capsule..

http://www.solomotoparts.com/MRA-X-Creen-Tour-Add-On-Variable-Windscreen-Spoiler-Blade-Clamp-On/

http://www.laminarlip.com/r1200rt.php

I'm going to equip my RT with an MRA Spoiler, or a Laminar Lip.

Good luck and enjoy

Greetings, thanks for the info, on the F800ST I had a Cal Sci (one of the best), 2 parabellums 23" and 27", the 27" was also one of the best, a C-Bailey (no good and gave away with the Cal Sci) and a V-something I want to say V-strom but I know that's a Suzuki bike. When I traded the F800ST for the 2014RT I gave them the original screen which I re-mounted, the 2 parabellums, and the V-something. The wind noise is less on the RT compared to all windscreens on the F800. I know that a curved upward top helps deflect air overhead, my wife has a Suzuki Burgman400 scooter with a curved-up windscreen, it's a quiet ride and fast for a 5' 100lb-er female.

The protection is fine on the RT just want to know if there's anything out there that might be quieter. I like the quiet ride, no tunes, just the sound of the motor and wind. I had special ordered my RT Feb 7 2014 with comfort package and cruise, no ESA, or anything else. I took delivery May9th.

Got a reply from Calski.....

"I apologize for the inconvenience, we don't have have any available pictures as of right now. When we started designing the windshield we didn't have too much time to take photos for the bike was recalled shortly afterwards. We'll be taking pictures soon and the windshield design is identical to the previous generations looks and design."

Realshelby....

To quote you..

" I have my Vario X-creen touring deflector mounted on the windscreen and this may be the first windscreen I don't replace with an aftermarket one. This add-on really works and the adjust ability allows me to have it push air directly on my upper chest in very hot conditions".

Good thing you said "MAY"

(humor there)

Hi,

My name is d'milan, and I have windshield obsession.

(humor 2)

I thought I was good to go with the spoiler idea, as you were a month ago.

So now you have a V-Stream and it is better for you than your modified OEM. hmmm

I've only had one V-Stream in all of my screen experiences.

Had it on my 2003 K1200GT. It was the Tall version. Looked good on the bike. Was surprisingly effective seeing that is was not very large at all. A model of "clean/smooth air flow"

Still too much air coming directly at my face shield however.

I like to ride with my visor up (full face helmet), with eye protection of course. Airflow to face-shield disallowed any thoughs of riding visor up.

RS // Do you ride visor up or down?

and

Do you look over or through your screens?

Anyway (here comes humor 3)

I look forward to your review of the new screen after you have added a Laminar Lip, topped off with a small MRA spoiler... I'll bet that'll be just the ticket.

Oh, I almost forgot, some Saeng Edging

http://www.saeng.com/product.php?id=581&category=80

d'milan

I am realshelby and I have a windshield fetish.

Makes me feel better to know I have a sickness that causes me to spend fortunes on windshields, seats, and so on. Admitting it is the first step in a cure it is said, but I ain't feelin' it .....

I have had a couple bikes that had windscreens that were so quiet and turbulence free under certain conditions that I want them all to be that way. All the time! I know that won't happen, but I have spent a lot of time working on these things and learned a LOT about what makes things tick.

While I normally refuse to look through a screen I will say that I can do it with this V Stream. Done that in the rain for a bit and liked it and I want to see if that makes it better for my wife when she goes with me. She was not all that pleased with the turbulence from the stock screen on the new RT. I normally look over the screen on this one when riding by myself. The width at the top of the screen really helps in high speed cruising in traffic and crosswinds.

I ride with the visor down in cold weather, but typically visor up ( with protective glasses on ) in warm/hot weather. This shield is happy either way.

The stock screen was pretty good with the add on lip at the top and the deflectors at the bottom. I could have lived with it, but it was not as good as my old RT for instance. I think the curve of the stock shield makes it harder for it to push air over the helmet.

I thought this new screen might be too tall at first. I only raise it a couple inches. I have a Russell seat that is normally in the low position. However, I found that raising the seat to the high position was way more comfy on long trips.....and the windscreen works well for that! So I have decided not to shorten it. I like the clean looks of it and it is quiet. I do wish they ( or someone ) would make a screen with the built in flip at the top like Cee Bailey has for the Oilhead RT's. This was by far the best overall windshield I have used, the Aeroflow a close second. Both of those, and especially the Aeroflow flexed a Lot in use. The V stream is polycarbonate with a very good anti scratch coating. I think it is the same thickness as the stock screen and moves very little in use.

So is the V Stream taller and wider than stock? Correct to say it is quieter, too? I normally look just over the top of the screen rarely with the face shield down. Only with occasional passing rain would I have the screen all the way up and look through it. My wife likes the OEM screen, but she's 5 feet tall 100 lbs and compares that with the multiple screens I had on the F800ST.

There are two V Streams available. Regular and tall. The tall one I have is 28.5" tall bottom center to top center. I believe the stock screen is about 26" tall measured this way, although the outside edges are taller. The difference is that the stock screen has a parabolic curve to the shape which brings it closer to the rider. It is my belief that this tends to direct the air behind the screen and the noise at the riders helmet. The V Stream is pretty much flat if you look at it from the side, so that even though it is only 2.5" taller it stands MUCH taller since it does not curve backward.

You can put your hand above the helmet and feel the high pressure areas. Looking over the screen that high pressure air is above my helmet. Which means the noise and buffeting are pretty good. This is where I like the screens with the molded in flip at the top, they push this high pressure air just a bit higher over the helmet.

Thanks for the info, I just measured the stock screen it is 24" and as you say parabolic. As I am 5'10" I have to raise the stock screen so not to go directly into my face. I raise it just enough so I can still look over the top of the screen. Sounds like the V Stream would displace the air over my head without raising the screen, or at least only slightly raising it. So the V Stream is a noticeably quieter screen? I just don't get why BMW wouldn't put a quieter screen on the RT, after all it is a touring bike. I drove my friends 6cyl Gold Wing, that literally was a car on two wheels, even in a strong cross wind the bike didn't budge and was quiet, I guess that's what 1000 lbs will do for you.

At your height and with I assume a stock seat the taller version would be too tall. The shorter one might be good. It is nice to be able to use the electric windscreen to change height. In a perfect world you could leave it down and get air on you in slower speed/high temps riding and then be able to raise it for quite turbulence free air at cruising speeds. So height is not something someone else can speak about for another rider with much success. Yes, this screen is noticeably quieter than the stock screen even after my modifications. It should be with the extra height, and I do believe the straighter form is better also. You want a laminar flow of air behind the screen to help fill the low pressure area and help push the high pressure air up at the top of the screen. I think the curved screens direct this toward the helmet to a degree and that increases noise and turbulence.

Just went to National Cycle they have the mid size 25.5" and yours 28.5". Since I have the low seat sounds like the mid size one would be the best. I don't get why BMW hasn't figured that out. Their so-called "comfort" windscreen just went up $90 to $519. Thanks for your help.

Jeff

I think the stock shield is shorter by an inch or more . The shield is wider then stock. I'm 6'1'' (will maybe a little less, I'm shrinking) the height of the stock is fine for me but my arms get too much air, I think this shield will protect better.

Jay

So Jay, do you have the Wunderlich screen on your bike, or know of any reports from owners? Looks like a nice screen. I guess, I want to avoid buying 5 screens like I did with the F800ST. The V Stream sounds like a good one. I got some time since were still in winter here, but a big warm-up is coming next week, I'll be out on the bike if it gets into the 50s. The stock screen will do for now, but I will upgrade to a quieter screen.

Jeff

So Jay, do you have the Wunderlich screen on your bike, or know of any reports from owners? Looks like a nice screen. I guess, I want to avoid buying 5 screens like I did with the F800ST. The V Stream sounds like a good one. I got some time since were still in winter here, but a big warm-up is coming next week, I'll be out on the bike if it gets into the 50s. The stock screen will do for now, but I will upgrade to a quieter screen.

Jeff

I just got it, I haven't taken the time to do more then open the box and hold it up to the Cee Baily mid size on the bike. It was about an inch or more taller. I'm heading out of town and hope for some better weather this weekend to check it out. So far I think it will do what I want which is protect my arms better.

I'll report back soon with a better description. I think the shield does have potential. The Cee Baily is about the same as stock, I only like it better because it's tinted, hides dirt better...

Jay

Jeff

I just got it, I haven't taken the time to do more then open the box and hold it up to the Cee Baily mid size on the bike. It was about an inch or more taller. I'm heading out of town and hope for some better weather this weekend to check it out. So far I think it will do what I want which is protect my arms better.

I'll report back soon with a better description. I think the shield does have potential. The Cee Baily is about the same as stock, I only like it better because it's tinted, hides dirt better...

Jay

Jay,

While you have them both off.. if you'd be so kind, lay the stocker on the Wunder and snap a few pics for posting..

I'm sure quite a few of us would love to see the difference in overlay, I know I would.

d'milan

The stock screen is 24" high or 61cm. So the wunderlich screen is 70cm 3.5" taller than stock.

Thanks

Stocker is 24" at its longest points ??

There are some things I like about the Wunderlich screen. I measured my V STream and it is 72.5 cm tall. The Wunderlich at 70 cm is not much shorter so I think it would work well for me. Might be on the tall side for some. It appears to be fairly straight, unlike the parabolic curve of the stock screen, so it will be quite a bit taller as far as line of sight goes compared to stock. It is hard to compare an aftermarket screen to stock for that reason.

I prefer the coated Polycarbonate to the Acrylic as it does not scratch as badly and is tougher. But I have had many Acrylic screens and been happy with them. Had I seen that screen while waiting for the V Stream to come out I might have ordered it first.

Looking at the photos of the screen on the bike, the Wunderlich looks slightly parabolic, maybe not as much as stock, but is about 3.5" longer than stock. Would like to hear a report on that screen. I think I'll see if Parabellum has a screen for the bike. They with the California Scientific had the best screen for the F800ST

I was in contact with Parabellum for quite some time. They don't have a new Wethead RT to use as a test bike so they don't have a screen. They built a custom size screen for me for one of my V Stroms and it worked well.

I've been reading these posts with interest. I put a Wunderlich screen on my R1200RT a few weeks ago, the standard screen no matter where I set it gave me really bad buffeting around my head.

I'm 6'2", 33" inside leg . The Beemer has a stock seat on the lower setting. This riding position suits me fine.

The Wunderlich screen is far better, I ride all year round & the Wunderlich gives me far better protection. Playing around with the height setting I've found an inch or so from fully up directs the air onto the top of my helmet, with no effect even with the chin bar in it's raised position.

I'll try to put some pics up when I've figured it out :cry:

Interesting, so being 5'10" with a low seat on the high position, I probably would not have to raise the screen much to direct the air flow over my head. Here's another question for all. Since I had 5 wind screens with the F800ST, some improved fuel economy (low Parabellum and California Scientific)while others did not. Anyone have any thoughts about that? Anybody notice any significant difference?

Jeff

I just ordered a Wunderlich Touring Screen for my 2014 RT.

Now, if I could just take delivery of the bike.

Ordered it from Nippy Normans... needed (wanted) some stuff for my GS as well.

Also bought some stuff from Hornig for my GS.

Currency rates now strongly favor the dollar over the Euro and Brit Pound...

I paid considerably less for these items by buying overseas, even with the increased shipping costs.

My order from Hornig in Germany arrived in 7 days from order date.

Neatly packaged as well.

d'milan

I'll be most interested in your opinion of the screen.

Now go get your bike. You might have to stop off at the hardware store to get some screws to put in your tires for the ice, but don't let that stop you!

I'm 6'3" and have the normal seat set up to the higher position. For my preference I think the screen is too high in it's down position. I need more time on the bike to divide what to do. My first thought it to shim the stock screen so top of the screen is lower. I like good flow on my chest for cooling and as a perk it is way quieter because the airflow is cleaner around your head. Just stand up until the wind is on your chest while you are riding if you're not sure what I mean.

I would argue that it is quieter when you stand on the pegs. I would agree that it can be smoother. Until you have ridden with a windscreen that allows you to hear the tires on the road and the mechanical whir of the engine I think many are missing something.

I would like a screen that allowed you to direct air onto you at lower speeds in hot weather. And still gave a quiet low turbulence ride at speed. I have not figured that all out yet.

I would argue that it is quieter when you stand on the pegs. I would agree that it can be smoother. Until you have ridden with a windscreen that allows you to hear the tires on the road and the mechanical whir of the engine I think many are missing something.

I would like a screen that allowed you to direct air onto you at lower speeds in hot weather. And still gave a quiet low turbulence ride at speed. I have not figured that all out yet.

I agree on all counts. I had a fjr that I got that way after a more than one try so I hope you the best and report back. I just felt it was worth saying for any body that comes across this that is new to this type of bike. The most logical thing to assume is when i put the windshield up it gets quieter=I need a taller shield. As with life the real answer tends to be more complex and different from one person to the next.

Jeff

Jay

I had a chance to look at my 3 shields, stock, Cee Baily mid size and Wunderlich. I don't have access to a site to post pictures (I did take them), sorry. The Wunderlich is about 2 inch's wider (1 inch per side) and taller than stock (at the top the stock dips from the ends to the middle that about 2 inch's, the Wunderlich goes more straight across) I think it will give my arms the protection that's missing with stock and Cee Baily. I'm not sure when I'll have a test ride but when I do I'll report.

Jay

Since Jay was having problems posting pictures, I asked him to email them to me and I would post them for him. Here are the three pictures he wanted to share.

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

Thanks for posting up

First pic, the Wunderlich looks like Casper "The Friendly Ghost"

Looks sprawling on the ground, with shadows enhancing the effect.

Looks good on the bike though.

I should have my tinted Wunderlich in a week or so. I'll find out then.

Jay, is the Wunderlich ID and RT logo on the Wunderlich a decal?

As in removable?

d'milan

Must be the "Casper" shadow. The Wunderlich looks like it has a pronounced dip in the top middle that you look over, something like our stock windshields, but then on Jay's bike, it doesn't.

Thanks for posting up

As in removable?

d'milan

The RT logo is on the back side which is black, making it non removable. The logo is similar to the way BMW does their comfort screen.

Jay

Thanks for posting up

As in removable?

d'milan

The RT logo is on the back side which is black, making it non removable. The logo is similar to the way BMW does their comfort screen.

Jay

Ugh...

If I had wanted to advertise for Wunderlich I would have negotiated an agreement with them. (humor there, sort of)

If I like the screen, and decide to keep it, I'll have to look into getting that blacked out somehow. Not my cup of tea.

Jay, have you had a chance to put any miles on?

Thanks

d'milan

Must be the "Casper" shadow. The Wunderlich looks like it has a pronounced dip in the top middle that you look over, something like our stock windshields, but then on Jay's bike, it doesn't.

Thanks for posting the pic's, I don't have site I can as a server.

The top of the shield come almost straight across unlike the big dip the stock has. The screen gets it's height from this.

Jay

Ugh...

If I had wanted to advertise for Wunderlich I would have negotiated an agreement with them. (humor there, sort of)

If I like the screen, and decide to keep it, I'll have to look into getting that blacked out somehow. Not my cup of tea.

Jay, have you had a chance to put any miles on?

Thanks

d'milan

I just put the windshield on the bike this Saturday with all the bad weather I had some honey dues pile up, Sunday came and so did the rain, hasn't stopped. I won't get to ride until the weekend. I think the shield is going to be a keeper.

I haven't spent much time looking at the windshield and haven't seen an easy way to remove the logo. Having to remove the shield to clean just stinks. I like the black on the shield, it will hide the dirt between the shield and the mount.

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, thanks for the pics. Jay, let us know how you like the Wunderlich. I agree the decal kind-of stinks, but if it's much better than stock, maybe it's the way to go. Again, thanks,

Jeff

I just put the windshield on the bike this Saturday with all the bad weather I had some honey dues pile up, Sunday came and so did the rain, hasn't stopped. I won't get to ride until the weekend. I think the shield is going to be a keeper.

Jay

Surely with all the rain, that is THE time to test that screen?

Archived