Visiting Charleston, SC - Where's the great Q, etc.?

Fubar

Heading up to Charleston for a few days during my son's spring break. Will arrive Sat 3/7 - leave Wed 3/11.

So where are the good, non-chain restaurants and must see places?

Fort Sumter seems a given but what is beyond that and 10 yr old friendly?

We did that recently too. It was great.

Breakfast at Toast is well worth it.

I would think that you could find a lot of things along market street to suit his palate

A must do for the kid in everyone. Camped on the Yorktown w/ BScouts years back.

Great fun. Here is a shot of my cub scout den after camping on the USS Silversides (SS-236) at Navy Pier, Chicago. (circa '79 or '80). The short guy in the middle of the back row is Guenter, my dad. I won't tell you which dork I am.... :grin:

1979.jpg

We did this last summer while taking in both Charleston and Savannah. A horse & buggy ride is a great way to see Charleston fairly quickly while listening to an entertaining history. I sure wish I could remember where we ate - there was a line, and it was tasty...

20140522_133940-M.jpg

The heck with the Q, look for shrimp and grits, a Charleston specialty. Chances are that if you have this dish at more than one place, it will be different, as I have never had it prepared the same way twice. Not recommended for people with cholesterol management issues....

Thanks for all the recommendations, folks.

The Yorktown (& friends) are a definite as is at least Ft. Moultrie.

Other probables are very history intensive:

Pinckney NHS

Fire Museum (bro-in-law, dad & grandpa are/were firemen)

Old Exchange & Provost Dungeon

Old Slave Market

Heyward-Washington House 7/or Manigault House

Some possibilites:

Old Jail

Ft. Sumter (free entry, expensive ride)

Aiken-Rhett House

SC Aquarium

And of course, I've gotta check out several of the six different breweries in town. I even managed to work a leisurely lunch stop at breweries in Matt's neighborhood (Pinglehead & Aardwolf) on the way up and the way back. Imagine that. (I should change my name to BeerRider.)

I'll check out the Road Food Resurrection for some ideas on food, too. I love the seafood and Q, my kid is not so big on fish, et cetera (TFB!). Regardless, no chains!

Putting the finishing touches on this weekend after speaking with my nephew who is attending college there.

Thanks for all the recommendations, folks.

The Yorktown (& friends) are a definite as is at least Ft. Moultrie.

Other probables are very history intensive:

Pinckney NHS

Fire Museum (bro-in-law, dad & grandpa are/were firemen)

Old Exchange & Provost Dungeon

Old Slave Market

Heyward-Washington House 7/or Manigault House

Some possibilites:

Old Jail

Ft. Sumter (free entry, expensive ride)

Aiken-Rhett House

SC Aquarium

And of course, I've gotta check out several of the six different breweries in town. I even managed to work a leisurely lunch stop at breweries in Matt's neighborhood (Pinglehead & Aardwolf) on the way up and the way back. Imagine that. (I should change my name to BeerRider.)

I'll check out the Road Food Resurrection for some ideas on food, too. I love the seafood and Q, my kid is not so big on fish, et cetera (TFB!). Regardless, no chains!

Putting the finishing touches on this weekend after speaking with my nephew who is attending college there.

Ft. Sumpter is ok. the boat ride is nice.

I would try to go see the submarine Hunley while you're there too. It's not open too much, so check the schedule beforehand.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, that's late. We got back a week ago. :(

For the record, Southend Brewery & Smokehouse has great BBQ & craft beer. Double dipping on Meeting St. becomes a triple dip when you hit the gelato place over by East Bay (1/2 block away).

We loved the ships at Patriot Point & the relaxed viewing at Ft. Moultrie which is bigger than Sumter (and just $3 instead of $19).

Heyward-Washington & Manigault houses, and the Old Provost Dungeon & Old Slave Mart were really cool and educational for all.

There is plenty more to see next time (next year) when my nephew graduates. And I'll take the bike. And hit Melvin's. And the couple of breweries I missed.

Archived