IGNORED

Loafers?

Ride Slow

Don't know if it is a BMW thing, or just because I always look when I see one.

What is it with the loafers or dock shoes and dress socks, when you are riding? I see the majority of scooter riders wearing better footgear!

Lots of BMW's here in Seattle, and they are all year riders. Not peculiar to the BMW, see it on GW's and sporty bikes too.

Just looks odd, seeing the lo-tops on a rider that is ATGATT otherwise.

(Not an angel here, I am not always geared correctly, but I don't ride unless I am wearing boots that will protect my feet and ankles.)

Certainly not a "BMW thing" based on my 47 years experience.

But, I've seen riders of all marques do things wrt ATGATT that isn't for me.

I've ridden short distances without gear, such as a quick ride around the block after adding a farkle or washing the bike. Did I enjoy it? A little bit. :Cool: I did it because I was lazy and willing to gamble that I wouldn't have a get off in that space and time.

I see a lack of ATGATT on riders of cruisers, more so than sport or sport touring bikes, here in the USA.

(Not an angel here, I am not always geared correctly, but I don't ride unless I am wearing boots that will protect my feet and ankles.)

What gear do you forego? What part of you do you gamble?

I don't see anything wrong with loafers. :thumbsup: In 1963 here's what I wore. Cords, tee shirt, HUSH PUPPIES, and no restrictive helmet. :rofl: DOH!

DSC_3286%20Custom_zpssrldu4ak.jpg

Extra points if anyone can identify the bike. Looks like a Honda CL77 to me. KTM, do not reply unless the right answer chimes in. Terrain looks like the beach in Alameda.

I have to say, this is something I'm struggling with lately, as a result of our recent move. I am used to year round riding in Seattle. Aerostich 2 pc, big boots, big gauntlet gloves, smaller summer gloves, gerbings jacket or a sweater (or both). Easy. No thinking involved at all. Long trips in the summer are just as easy. put it all on, open the zips and ride at 60 or 70 all day. It still works into the triple digits (sorta), or at least I'm going a long ways, so it's worth putting it all on.

Now I've been in Hawaii for a month and a half... It's hot here. Too hot for long pants. Too hot for shoes. My commute is under 3 miles. The stich is in the closet. I put on my perforated leather jacket, helmet, some work boots and shorts. I feel naked, but compared to the locals, I am way overdressed (beach-wear IS riding gear here). I dunno. It really is unpleasant putting on all that gear for a short trip to work or the store. What do you guys do in CA, AZ, TX, MS AL FL???

This Florida rider is ATGATT.

Mesh pants/jacket above xx temps and up thru xxx.

Before mesh was developed, leather 3/4 jacket year round.

There's sweat, then there blood, sweat, and tears...

Flip flops and a protective thong for me, on the really hot dog days.

V_WillyDogs_(135).jpg

Man asks about riding and you reference work conditions...

:wave:

Doug, you just reminded me why I love you so much.

If I wasn't so tech inept I would post a pic of me careening across the dez, WFO, on a Cushman wearing the same gear as you! For those of you who never got to ride a Penton barefoot (or neckidd), I'm sorry you missed the fun.

BTW, I still stare into the sun, stick my finger into the fan blades, and yes, every now and then, me and the duc go cruzin' in the country, Levi's and T shirt and we ride as fast as our sun glasses will allow and maybe just a tad more. It's what Steve would do.

I don't see anything wrong with loafers. :thumbsup: In 1963 here's what I wore. Cords, tee shirt, HUSH PUPPIES, and no restrictive helmet. :rofl: DOH!

DSC_3286%20Custom_zpssrldu4ak.jpg

I like to wear what is comfortable, convenient and based on the needs of the ride. That could mean proper riding gear or just jeans and a t-shirt. It should be up the individual rider to make decisions based on the perception of risk.

Here in north Georgia, you know it's high summer when you see the first cruiser riders out in sleeveless t-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops. Well, maybe tennis shoes if they're feeling all ATGATT. Not the H-D riders. They have their own minimalist uniform.

Boots are great, wear them for any longer trips or weekend canyon riding, but sometimes not practical for a commuter IMHO. I agree - Loafers or other slip-on shoes are not a good idea, come off too easy, but any securely fastened shoe is usually acceptable. The main threat is abrasion/road rash, and even running shoes will protect from that, depening upon the accident and speed, of course.

Where a lot of us are hypocritical (myself included) is in believing a pair of comfortable worn jeans will provide abrasion protection. They really don't.

Abrasion protection good.

Where we are all (mostly) deficient is rib/chest and leg impact protection.

This from studies showing where actual injuries happen in mc impacts.

Risk perception is just that, perception.

Free world, more or less.

Tewks,

Was at a concert of theirs when we got hit by a huge storm.

No one was going anywhere so lead singer David Clayton Thomas put on an impromptu "encore show" and did more songs and impressions of other popular

singers of the era.

Unforgettable.

Tewks,

Was at a concert of theirs when we got hit by a huge storm.

No one was going anywhere so lead singer David Clayton Thomas put on an impromptu "encore show" and did more songs and impressions of other popular

singers of the era.

Unforgettable.

Sounds like it was! :thumbsup:

Was just a pup when they were playing it live but it seems to be the era of music I'm most connected with. No IPods I guess, you listened to what was playing on the old Buick Estate's AM. :grin:

Pat

I have to say, this is something I'm struggling with lately, as a result of our recent move. I am used to year round riding in Seattle. Aerostich 2 pc, big boots, big gauntlet gloves, smaller summer gloves, gerbings jacket or a sweater (or both). Easy. No thinking involved at all. Long trips in the summer are just as easy. put it all on, open the zips and ride at 60 or 70 all day. It still works into the triple digits (sorta), or at least I'm going a long ways, so it's worth putting it all on.

Now I've been in Hawaii for a month and a half... It's hot here. Too hot for long pants. Too hot for shoes. My commute is under 3 miles. The stich is in the closet. I put on my perforated leather jacket, helmet, some work boots and shorts. I feel naked, but compared to the locals, I am way overdressed (beach-wear IS riding gear here). I dunno. It really is unpleasant putting on all that gear for a short trip to work or the store. What do you guys do in CA, AZ, TX, MS AL FL???

Too hot for long pants? When it's really hot here in Texas, it's too hot not to be wearing long pants when riding. Intense sunlight on bare skin is hardly a recipe for staying cool. My summer riding gear includes a mesh jacket, it keeps direct sunlight off me but allows some cooling air flow. On trips in really hot weather, I'll wear a long sleeve shirt underneath. Too much hot air flowing over your skin will have no cooling effect and simply dehydrate you sooner. I have an R1200RT, if I had something with less weather protection, I'd probably wear a non-mesh jacket that had good venting.

Too hot for long pants?

Well, to me it's too hot. Muggy as all hell too. I don't know what I expected, being out here in the middle of the pacific! I know, Texas is way hotter (I've been there in the summer!) What I'm struggling with is this business of just going a dozen miles or less, and putting on a pair of jeans and all the rest of the kit. I don't even own mesh pants. Never needed them (until now...).

Riding in South Texas in the summer it's shorts and a tee shirt under a full mesh riding suit. When I get to where I'm going the boots get traded for flip flops and the riding suit goes in the hard bags along with the helmet. Easy enough. If it's really hot, 105 plus, long sleeves and jeans under the riding suit.

Wearing a helmet is a passionate issue for me. Experience with stones and other debris is enough to prove the need. Two of my buddies have had bad crashes within a few blocks of their homes, so no trip is two short for me to gear up. One had a slow speed low side that would have resulted in some scrapes and lots of cussing if he had only been wearing a helmet. Last time I saw him he was wearing diaper, perfectly fit except for a badly damaged brain. I guess we're still paying his bills, if he's still alive.

I agree with the helmet for sure. You can sustain all manner of injury to the rest of your body, but one good knock on the head and you're out, sometimes for good.

Too hot for long pants?

Well, to me it's too hot. Muggy as all hell too. I don't know what I expected, being out here in the middle of the pacific! I know, Texas is way hotter (I've been there in the summer!) What I'm struggling with is this business of just going a dozen miles or less, and putting on a pair of jeans and all the rest of the kit. I don't even own mesh pants. Never needed them (until now...).

I suspect the humidity is higher where you're at. I don't find throwing on a mesh jacket to be much of an effort. I rarely wear shorts but maybe I would if I lived where you do. Actually, if I was only going "a dozen miles", I might not even bother taking the bike.

I've ridden short distances without gear, such as a quick ride around the block after adding a farkle or washing the bike. Did I enjoy it? A little bit. :Cool: I did it because I was lazy and willing to gamble that I wouldn't have a get off in that space and time.

I see a lack of ATGATT on riders of cruisers, more so than sport or sport touring bikes, here in the USA.

What gear do you forego? What part of you do you gamble?

I only wear a full face helmet when hail or huge rainstorm is forecast, rest of time is 3/4. I have a pair of insulated pants that are sort of rainproof, but they zip on and off really quickly. I also have a cordura and armored pair of pants I got with my Gerbing liners at the open house several years ago. My standard go to is jeans and chaps. My go to for upper is a heavy duty leather jacket with extra layers I found in Colorado many years ago. I have a gore tex shell I put over that if it gonna rain real hard. If it is nice, you will see me wearing my heavy leather vest. I received it as a gift 10 or 15 years ago, it is the only HD logo item I wear on the bike.

Boots are Danners or side zip 5.11's

Today, I saw a Panigale rider with low top leather shoes and no socks visible, and an 848 rider with tennis shoes and lo socks. (working a few blocks from the Seattle Ducati store, always see some really neat bikes in SLU.)

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-avenger-one-piece-mesh-suit

How about this?tons of mesh,easy on/off and protection where you need it.

JR356

Archived