IGNORED

Crashed my Bike

RTJohn

I crashed my bike last Thursday coming home from work. On the northbound transition road from the 5 to the 14. Lots of traffic. I was being careful trying to maneuver over to the Newhall Ave offramp. A car ahead of me in the carpool lane had his blinker on to merge to the right. I slowed down to let him go, he turned off his blinker and kept going. I accelerated past this guy and a guy in the next lane and a car or two ahead of me made a tentative move into the CP lane. I slowed down to let him go. He didn't have his blinker on. I waited a couple of seconds to see what he would do. He stayed where he was so I began accelerating past him. When I got even with him he turned left into me. Happened very quick. I have a brief memory of banging into his driver door, I think. The next thing I know I'm on my back looking up. I could feel I had been hurt but I didn't know how bad. Several people stopped to render assistance, one used his car to protect me from traffic, the other guy was an off-duty EMT. I found out how bad it was when the fire department rolled me onto a back board. Wow did that hurt. I was so lucky. I'm home now with six broken ribs, four on the right, two on the left, and a dislocated right collarbone. My helmet is all scratched up and my jacket is torn in several places. I have no concussion or any other broken bones. I think one of the things that kept it from being worse was my low speed. I don't think I was going above 40, probably 35. Anyway, I'm ok going stir crazy in the house. It's estimated I'll be out 6 weeks, more or less. No idea how bad the bike is. West Valley Cycles is evaluating it now. Waiting to hear from State Farm on the damages. :(

Jeepers, John, I am very sorry to read about this get off. Coming to, laying on your back, is sureal, until the pain starts. :grin: You'll be able to laugh about it some day, believe me. Ribs huh? Yeow that must hurt like heck. I hope you mend well. DO WHAT YOU ARE TOLD and you'll do a lot better. Did they get the guy/gal? I sure hope so.

Keep us up to date on how you are doing, please. That will give you something to do :)

Coming to, laying on your back, is sureal, until the pain starts. :grin: You'll be able to laugh about it some day

Friendly voice of experience there, but for the sake of those ribs...don't laugh just yet! It's amazing how Mother Nature just takes us out of witnessing trauma. "No need for you to remember this - intermission time for you" Here's wishing pain-free rest, and a spanking new bike from my namesake at State Farm. I know I'd prefer they handle it this way...

1b88655ff3c77c04b0c27bc763de1ad2.jpg

Jeepers, John, I am very sorry to read about this get off. Coming to, laying on your back, is sureal, until the pain starts. :grin:

Hope you soon have full recovery and we see you back on a bike!

After an accident 10 years ago, it took 2 days before I realized I was in a hospital with multiple injuries and a long healing process ahead of me. I hope you realize, as did I, that the accident had little to do with anything fully preventable on your part. It did not take me long to recognize, for me, the rewards of riding are worth the inherent risks. :thumbsup:

Eeeehhh.... no worries, you'll be fine by May 29. See you at Dead Center in the Middle of Nowhere. :clap:

Oh, you didn't laugh, did you?

Ouch, sorry to hear. Heal well and quickly, my friend.

Glad to hear you weren't hurt any worse. Keep a stiff upper lip. Just to add some insult to injury - now's a good time to start working on your taxes! :P

Sorry to hear but, glad you're gonna be ok! :thumbsup: Broken ribs are not fun and funny things are not fun when you have broken ribs. Here is a prescription if you happen to find something funny in the next six weeks.

Pat

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I had to do work travel to Santa Clarita a bunch of times a few years ago. I drove from Sac instead of flying to BUR mostly due to the traffic and definitely that interchange. I just don't like it and gladly trade the extra hour. Even rode the bike a time or two just to unplug.

Hope your recovery gets better day by day.

Hi John, Man, that was a scary account of your accident and so glad you're OK. I read about incidents like this and I really think to myself, "Is this two wheel nonsense really worth it?" I'm really beginning to wonder and I live in a relative sparsely populated area but am not immune to mistakes made by jerk water inattentive tourists that flock to the Oregon Coast every summer from where I shan't mention.

Sounds like the cage is at fault for unsafe lane change. Hope the other driver is well insured. Motorcycle damage costs is minimal compared to the medical bills. Hope all is taken care by insurance and you heal quickly. Get a copy of the collision report asap.

Damn, buddy... I live up in Lancaster and know full well how nutty that interchange gets around rush hour. I'm glad to hear you're relativly all right.

Muy malo.

I can stop by the West Valley CHP office if they have the accident report and get it to you. I'm not familiar with where their boundary changes.

Heal well,

Wow........Really sorry about the incident and hope you heal fast....When the ribs feel good enough to drive let Norm and I know and come on over to S.P. airport for coffee.....I'll help get rid of cabin fever.........

Paul In Australia

Sorry to hear this John. But you will heal quickly I hope and hopefully back in the saddle soon

Crashes are like landings...... Anyone you walk away from is a good one.

Best regards

Hi Kathy. Rereading your post Well,looks like my baby is never coming back. Jay at West Valley Cycles thinks it's totaled. He's preparing an itemized cost tape for State Farm. Interesting conversation with State Farm yesterday. I gave her an over the phone version of what happened. She asked me to clarify that I was lane splitting. I said I was. She that makes it automatically my fault=reckless driving. I paused in my conversation with her. I pointed out I wasn't speeding and I was doing anything illegal. She said she "understood". It means I'll have pay the deductable. She still hadn't talked to the other driver yet. We'll see.

Hi Kathy. Rereading your post Well,looks like my baby is never coming back. Jay at West Valley Cycles thinks it's totaled. He's preparing an itemized cost tape for State Farm. Interesting conversation with State Farm yesterday. I gave her an over the phone version of what happened. She asked me to clarify that I was lane splitting. I said I was. She that makes it automatically my fault=reckless driving. I paused in my conversation with her. I pointed out I wasn't speeding and I was doing anything illegal. She said she "understood". It means I'll have pay the deductable. She still hadn't talked to the other driver yet. We'll see.

Ah, no more laptop troubles? Good, John :wave:

It seems wrong that what she is saying is right. It certainly doesn't pass the smell test.

Some insurance companies are notorious for dickering. Insist on talking to her supervisor. See if that get's you a more satisfactory answer.

Lane splitting is allowed in California. Riding a motorcycle is inherently dangerous. Driving a car is too. You bought motorcycle insurance. You didn't get a ticket. The driver failed to use their mirrors to see that changing lanes was safe. The car caused the crash. You were hit.

As emotional as it is to know our bike died, it's good to part with a bike that's been in a wreck, sometimes. I think I was emotionally distraught for over a year over the death of mine :cry: , as if it was a breathing living thing. It's hard to spend those hours, those special riding hours and days, with a piece of equipment and not assign a soul to it.

P.S. Scars are overrated.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

John,

Whence next you talk to the adjuster, explain english to her.

23103. (a) A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway in willful

or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty

of reckless driving.

(b) A person who drives a vehicle in an offstreet parking

facility, as defined in subdivision © of Section 12500, in willful

or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty

of reckless driving.

Peter

John, So sorry to read about your accident. Glad you're basically OK. Your accident sounds an awful lot like mine in June 2013. The more I read your first post the more I'm thinking "Oh crap, Oh crap". Very similar circumstances, 40 mph four lane road with moderate traffic and making every effort not to be in someone's blind spot. I'm in the left lane. A young lady who just got her license whipped out of an apartment parking lot and pulls into the right lane. We're side by side for just an instant and then she does an abrupt lane change right into me. Like you, I kind of recall banging into the side of the car. The next thing I know the EMT's are asking me who the president is. Five rib fractures and a banged up left shoulder and hip. Good riding gear prevented or minimized further damage. Do what the Dr tells you. Physical therapy helped me a lot and I did every session. Everyone is different but it took a full year before range of motion in the shoulder and neck returned to near normal. Hang in there, you'll be able to sleep laying down in about six weeks.

So sorry to read about the wreck. Heal fast, and P.T. is priceless! I still stay in touch with my 'Blond Goddess of Pain" and that wreck was in 1986. They wanted to medically retire me, and I said no. Primary rehab and clear to full duty status took 7 months. Secondary rehab took 2.5 years.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got a copy of the accident report. I didn't know there were two witnesses who verified my version of events. Even the guy who hit me pretty much confirms my account. In the summary the CHP says that vehicle 1, the other guy, was at fault for making an unsafe lane change. Also, it appears he was using his cell phone.

My only question now is wondering what is taking State Farm so long in settling this thing?

BTW I went back to work last Monday. Still not 100% but a large part of my job is poking at a computer. The collar bone thing is causing me more trouble than the ribs.

RTJohn,

Thanks for the update. Glad that you are on the rebound and back to work.

I don't know about CA but it is still perfectly legal here in PA to hold a cell phone to your ear while driving. It is scary as hell sometimes. I hope that you hold the cage driver fully accountable for his gross negligence.

Collar bone injuries often take a long time to fully heal. I had to stop sleeping on my side for many years after I broke my clavicle.

Speedy

When my employers 3rt party STD (short term disability) administrator found out someone else was responsible for the accident the subrogation letters started flying. They were not happy I had hired a lawyer and he held the insurance company's compensation check in escrow while he negotiated all the claims down as much as possible. In my case, the girl who sideswiped me had KY state minimum insurance so there wasn't much of a pool of money to start with. The STD administrators wanted everything after the medical bills were covered. The atty got them to settle for considerably less.

I had a copy of the accident report fairly early. Within a week of the accident I believe. I also had two witnesses. I wrote letters to both asking for their recollection of what happened that afternoon along with some specific questions about what happened immediately after the collision. One witness was riding with the girl who hit me. I didn't hear anything from her. The other witness was driving right behind me and saw everything. She took the time to call me on the phone. In her KY accent "Honey, it's a wonder you aint' dead". Her account of the accident mirrored mine up until I got hit and blacked out. Sorry to ramble, glad life is getting more normal despite some lingering discomfort.

Finally got a copy of the accident report. I didn't know there were two witnesses who verified my version of events. Even the guy who hit me pretty much confirms my account. In the summary the CHP says that vehicle 1, the other guy, was at fault for making an unsafe lane change. Also, it appears he was using his cell phone.

My only question now is wondering what is taking State Farm so long in settling this thing?

BTW I went back to work last Monday. Still not 100% but a large part of my job is poking at a computer. The collar bone thing is causing me more trouble than the ribs.

Sounds like the cage is at fault for unsafe lane change. Hope the other driver is well insured. Motorcycle damage costs is minimal compared to the medical bills. Hope all is taken care by insurance and you heal quickly. Get a copy of the collision report asap.

Glad to hear I was right and you are feeling better.

Great news John, glad to hear it.

Just to clarify. You did not crash your bike. Another expletive motorist expletived up and knocked you down. There is a difference. Mind the PT folks and hope you are on another bike soon.

Red

Archived