IGNORED

Instrument Cluster Mileage Question

The Rocketman

The Rocketman

I don't personally need one, but have been wondering about this for a while. I see a bunch of R1200RT and RT-P instrument clusters for sale in various places. If one was going to replace theirs with another one, does the mileage shown in the LED display show the mileage on the replacement cluster, or the actual mileage of the bike its being installed into? Is the bikes actual mileage stored somewhere in the bike's computer? If not, can the replacement cluster have the mileage reset somehow to reflect the bike's actual mileage? I was kind of doubting that, as then an unscrupulous seller might be able to reset their mileage showing less than it really is.....

Just asking in case anyone else has been wondering too?

Rocket - the bike's mileage is readable via the GS911, so I suspect it's stored in the central computer. The only thing that can be reset readily relating to mileage is the service reminder.

JayJay

Afternoon Rocketman

It isn't that simple to do on the 1200RT, the onboard computers & modules talk each other over the Can system (CanBus)

If you just install a new instrument cluster the system won't recognize it & in fact it can really foul things up.

After a new or used cluster install (it is itself a small computer) the bike needs to be plugged into the dealer CIP (coding, individualization and programming) & have the new found cluster recognized & updated.

I don't know for a fact but I believe the mileage is stored in more than one place as it seems to update to the correct mileage after a new cluster install or a new BMS-K (fueling computer) install.

My experiences on the rt- p instrument cluster is you can change the cluster out no problem and it will read the miles it has on it except the odometer will blink on and off but everything else works fine trip metors work as they should. As DR said only a dealer can reprogram your new cluster to the bikes other computers after re- program you odometer will show miles from bike computer and will stop blinking. And DR is right about where the miles are stored. I had mine re- programmed because i was chasing a starting problem and dealer said the first thing they should do is re-program to rule it out. The re- programming did nothing to help starting problem. I ended up replacing the BMS-k & did not need to reprogram the odometer, it works fine showing the re-programmed miles. So I don't think the bms-k stores mileage. But on an RT-P Thers a chance that not only the dash has been replaced the computers may have been replaced. In CA the CHP keeps a bone yard of crashed/ dead bikes & pull parts to keep others running and there not dealer mechanics & don't have the computers to reprogram. The CHP brings there bikes to the dealer I go to & he fixes problems the CHP can't & says he's seen it all. Owning a BMW is an experience owning an RT-P is an experience and a half !

Archived