Top Box Ideas.....?

Bulitt

So you may remember from my last thread, I picked up a 2005 R12RT. Got the KRS mirrors on order by the way, so thanks for that advice.....

Next question is, do any of you use any thing other than a BMW top box for scooting around town? Mine came with the 49 liter monster box that would be good for the road trip but it is BIG.

I saw a picture (maybe Texas Mule....can't remember) of a Jesse pizza box on the tail rack. Anybody mount a pelican case or some other?

Looking for ideas....

Thanks!

Just found the Shad thread. Some of their smaller boxes look nice! Not sure how they attach but I would want the ability to switch between a smaller one and my BMW 49 quickly and easily.

Any other ideas?

That would be a problem because the aftermarket case will require a mounting plate which is usually a pain to mount.

Something like this, maybe?

20140212_142351_zps5c089cb1.jpg

Pat

AFAIK, only BMW boxes will attach directly to the BMW rack, so the 29l BMW box is your only option for easy swaps. Other brands will use their own mounting plates. I thought maybe selling your 49l BMW box and buying a small SHAD & the very nice SHAD 50 might work, but they seem to use different mounts. The GIVI mount seems to be only for 46-55l cases, so no help there. Maybe you could look for a soft tail bag?

Leaving the big box in place is really not a hardship. Around town, mine is empty so there is no handling problem and I always have lockable storage for my helmet and jacket at my destination.

Good memory Bullitt, I've got a Jesse pizza box on my '08, but it's bolted down with a homemade plate underneath. Easy to remove but not "immediate" like the BMW boxes. I also have a 28L BMW box but use it for long trips.

I agree the 49L box is HUGE especially for just around town.

Jesse doesn't make the pizza boxes any longer. Only available used. I have put pelican cases on my Tigers in the same manner as the Jesse.

I found the BIG BMW case to heavy for my liking, I sold it and bought a Givi 45 or about half the weight and waterproof. Givi also makes a 36 that uses the same mount. No holes to drill for Givi mount...I Use a Pelican on my DL650 also a good choice..

Archived