IGNORED

Best way to drain old fuel from the tank

BMW LakeGuy

I just bought my new to me 2003 1150 RT with 1/2 tank of gas in it from last October. Ish. It has stablilizer in it but I would really like to get as much of that varnish out as I can before I put fresh gas in. Anybody know of a relatively simple way to drain the tank?

Evening BMW LakeGuy

If you don't want to remove the tank or remove plastic panels to access the pump pressure hose then about the best way is to snake a small diameter supple hose in through the fuel filler neck & siphon out as much as you can get.

You might have to snake it down one side then get all you can, then snake it down the other side. (just be mindful of the low fuel light float so you don't bend that)

Thanks DR

Yeah I'm not really into spending a ton of time so the siphon idea is probably the best. I have one with a ball check valve that's about 3/4" in diameter. Hopefully that will fit.

Evening BMW LakeGuy

I don't think you will get a 3/4" in there, I'm thinking more like 1/4" or 3/8".

Run down to your local hardware store & buy about 3' of cheap clear 1/4" hose.

I had a feeling you were going to say that! My bike is at my buddies house till Saturday then I am taking it home. May as well pick up some thin hose before I go get it. I had my doubts on my check valve siphon fitting. Now it's time to see if I can remember my Mexican gas station technique with out drinking old fuel!

Last October? 2014? I'd just start it up and ride it.

Open the tank and smell it. If it doesn't smell like gasoline at all, then it's gone bad. But in my experience, it takes several years to get there. I know, some will say that it takes a couple weeks, but I've never had any trouble inside a couple years.

Now it's time to see if I can remember my Mexican gas station technique with out drinking old fuel!

Best way to start it is to cut a small hole (drill bit), about 2" up from the end of the hose (the end that is outside the tank, not the end you put in the tank) and then put an air nozzle in that hole. Angle the blast of air toward the end of the hose and push the button on the air nozzle.

That will start the flow of the fuel without the need to risk getting it in your mouth...

However, I agree - October 2014, with fuel stabilizer... Don't waste your time... Run it!

Now it's time to see if I can remember my Mexican gas station technique with out drinking old fuel!

Morning BMW LakeGuy

3 easy ways to handle that depending on where you are what you have handy.

Easiest way is to stick the end of the hose in the tank then use an air compressor blow gun to blow along the other end (in the direction that the liquid comes out). You have to be very careful with this method as the air/fuel mix that starts coming out is extremely flammable.

Next way is to just fill the hose with fuel then cap the outer end, then stick the hose in the tank & lower the outer end, then un-cap. The siphon will then start automatically.

Or my all time favorite is to tie a small weight on a string then drop that weigh/string through the siphon hose (or just tie a knot in the end of string & blow it through with compressed air (doesn't matter how just get a string through the hose)

Then tie a little piece of cloth one the string end, then pull on the other end of the string until the little piece of cloth just starts to enter the hose end.

Now stick that hose in the fuel tank with cloth end in the tank, let is sit for about 30 second so the cloth can get wet with fuel, then lower the outboard end of the hose to be below the tank height, then just pull string out of the hose. Like magic the fuel will follow the string out of the hose & start the siphon.

I usually carry a small siphon hose with string & cloth already in it, tightly rolled up, on most of my bikes as that gives me an instant (even in the dark) access to fuel for starting camp fires or transferring fuel for other means.

LakeGuy,

If it's got stabilizer, that gas is probably fine.

However, I emptied my tank last year and was glad I did as I found some crap at the bottom. I can't be sure, but I think it was charcoal residue from the canister.

If the tupperware is off the bike, you can have that tank off in 5 minutes. Dump and rinse with a little fresh gas.

Walmart, auto part stores, or a boat store will have a small siphon. Just a bulb to start the flow along with some tubing attached. I think it cost me $7. Not much more that the tubing.

Here is another inexpensive fluid transfer tool. Works well to start a siphon but will also transfer fluid when siphoning is not possible. You just need to use the pumping feature. It is a handy tool to have around the garage/shop.

Here is another inexpensive fluid transfer tool. Works well to start a siphon but will also transfer fluid when siphoning is not possible. You just need to use the pumping feature. It is a handy tool to have around the garage/shop.

Yup, I use that exact gizmo to suck the old oil out of the boat every year, so that it can sit in the garage with a fresh oil change and not get used. :dopeslap:

Thanks for the tips guy. I / the previous owner did have all the Tupperware off 2 weeks ago to pull the Works shocks and re install the factory shocks as he was a lot shorter. Did lots though, pulled and cleaned the starter, balanced the throttle bodies and did the left cam chain tensioner. Should have pulled the tank! Oh well. I'll drain a bit then just ride it

Archived