IGNORED

Putting the G back in G/S

roadscholar

That was a wonderful day for me!  I was one of the lucky people that was able to borrow one of Bill's dirt bikes.   I had not been on a dirt bike since the early 1970's.  That experience convinced me to buy a GS a few years later and I am hopeful that I will have the opportunity to ride with that group of riders again some day 

• Like 3
  • 10 months later...
roadscholar
1 hour ago, Endobob said:

@TEWKS  Thanks - it was certainly time to revive this thread.

For sure, heck I almost forgot about it : )

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

A very comprehensive review of almost all manufactures off road models.  Lots of new features and good looking bikes.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
roadscholar

GS primer, Harry gives a proper on-bike tutorial of how to put the G back in G/S (from almost the beginning) plus there's no place quite like the old English countryside.. 

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

I mentioned the Trans Ga ride awhile back, we had it this past weekend so here’s a few pics  It starts just outside JVille and goes north up the eastern side of Ga. with overnight stops at George L Smith SP and Tugaloo SP, on day 3 there’s a loop into the mountains then ride back to Jax on backroads the last day.There were several spots of historical significance along the route we had them get photos of. Blind Willie’s gravesite, The Rock House, Callaway Plantation, and site of Meriwether Lewis childhood home. By all accounts everyone had a great time.

image.jpeg.466b25ed4a8fbb098699827c92cbcb4b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9b024100d31d8b2e78e06ddeeee5ca2c.jpeg

We had BBQ dinner catered to the state park on the first night.

image.thumb.jpeg.7d931caf6320e0372f969293a5c450eb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.efe9466a0df9a7da7bdbfccb4245b580.jpeg

image.jpeg.5802c8aa497e0942140d33d9fa36999c.jpeg

they found this mural in downtown Thomson on their own.

image.thumb.jpeg.fb1b5b13f77ce41c06aa0ba6bf09766d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.390287b05339e5900dcb25c00a6960d4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.71c10d64e2ff16d05711a7aeb98bc740.jpeg

image.jpeg.b6df58f3592dbb476d420c8c3780d903.jpeg

image.jpeg.0cedc0d55bafb6f447247eebc49e00a2.jpeg

You know I had to throw in the requisite goat path or two : )

image.jpeg.1a0bae48afcc8b44dee66f7856450831.jpeg

image.jpeg.f71ff89b9723dd3b70b9f283d427e537.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ea08d63303467872d3d0172153bb5081.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1f5c858cfa1bce6ab4e4ee267917cf04.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.190abefa804ff53803fa6eab730cce24.jpeg

image.jpeg.7c7f9e779d8f6f28a1a7c87d9d455a21.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Just throwing this out in case anyone’s interested, so far it’s looking like a good turnout. Normally we’d visit one of four Gulf coast locations as the turnaround but we’re wearing a rut in those roads after about ten years.

I made a new route this time across the panhandle to Monticello and back which is about as far as they can comfortably go in two days considering the time/speed/distance involved. It’s also possible to follow along virtually as they post photos during the ride, a lot of this area looks more like the old south of Georgia and Alabama than it does Florida.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/2021-trans-florida-adv-rally-part-2.1517169/

image.thumb.jpeg.ef9ef367462de3aada916f4b9edf5093.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Flashback to the 4 day Trans Georgia ride last month, one of the guys finished his video and posted it, longish at 20+ minutes but pretty good and in places humorous.  If you've ever considered doing some real adventure riding it might cause you to reconsider : )  just glad most of them are young and in good shape. I put this one road on the route 2 years ago as an alternate with a warning then last year didn't but included it this year just for grins, afterward they said it was it was the most fun they had on the trip. Nearly all of them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had no intention of watching that video, and certainly not to the end.

I couldn't stop once i started. Funny, nerve wracking, looked like a whole lot of work, some great roads and mad skills, and funny! Dirt bike territory done with GS's.

Thanks for putting that up.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
17 minutes ago, lawnchairboy said:

WR250R territory. 

That's what I was thinking the whole time! GS is way too heavy to be humping over all that detris. But they sure held up to the abuse. That Chili strap was pretty impressive too, never saw anything like that before, and hope I never have need for one.

1 hour ago, lawnchairboy said:

WR250R territory. 

For some I reckon, the only WR250 in that group was ridden by a girl, Cynthia who's admittedly a good rider. That was actually the noob group, the more experienced guys did a different route that was longer and had a few technical sections too. There was really just one rider that was in over his ability/bike, Courtney's dad the big fella on the W/C GS. Everyone else rode it like a pro with the exception of Fred taking a bad line into the muck, otherwise he normally rides the 1200 like it's a 250. 

Real adventure riding includes venturing into the unknown, having some challenges and dealing with them, it isn't for everyone but some love it. After two days of smooth fast dirt they were ready for some action and why I included it but did debate whether to or not. I've ridden that road several times on various 650's and an 800 but conditions change year to year, offroad is never an exact science. The main thing is they all loved it except one and he stuck with it and persevered to the end, that in itself is adventure. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Hosstage said:

That's what I was thinking the whole time! GS is way too heavy to be humping over all that detris. But they sure held up to the abuse. That Chili strap was pretty impressive too, never saw anything like that before, and hope I never have need for one.

If you've been to Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley you've probably met Dale Walksler or at least heard of him (sadly no longer with us), needless to say a great guy and true enthusiast. I was on the way back from upstate NY with an empty trailer except my 12GS in the front and was picking up a buddy's '67 Electra Glide after Dale rebuilt the motor. I got there mid afternoon and they said Dale was out riding with friends and would be back before closing. So I unloaded the GS and hit the Parkway. The 1200's had just come out and I was trying to acclimate to how agile it was compared to the previous gen, I was consistently missing apexes. 

I rode about an hour then pulled off at an overlook to reboot and reassess the situation. Standing there sans helmet gazing at Balsam overlook I could hear the faint sound of multiple American V-twin in the distance and it was getting closer. In the bat of an eye 3 vintage Harleys with dudes in full leathers (and helmets) round the curve blast past and are gone, they didn't even see me. It took about 2 sec, I thought WTF that was Dale, so I saddled up and took chase while trying to remember not to override the road on the new steed. I caught them a couple miles later and waved 'em over. Dale recognized me once the helmet was off, we stopped and I could see they were filthy with mud all over them and the bikes (priceless Harleys from the 30's and 40's). They couldn't stop laughing about how much fun they'd had riding Jeep trails on the Indian lands (I've been on em and they are no cakewalk) while I was sitting there on a squeaky new clean GS. Sometimes the tables are turned when you least expect it  : )      

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yo Pat, look what showed up at the CADS meeting tonight, the good Dr. (our resident orthopedic surgeon : ) added a '21 Adv to his '61 R60/2. it had/has 600 miles on it and is sweet, don't think I've seen a better looking modern one. 

329066D9-6909-4AFA-886F-4A808D0169C0.thumb.jpeg.b5f41b3dc7717fe8a381176de93f7ccf.jpeg

7178F9A8-8DC5-48CA-8A0F-8B857EC95D29.thumb.jpeg.edf0cdf7c8b979a859a86e7aa0132e56.jpeg

7CF41FDD-8B5D-49FA-99A3-080C90DFCDDF.thumb.jpeg.eabb93ee716d94d4b0692312d3cc5118.jpeg

• Like 2

I’m a little :classic_blush: to say I :classic_love: it! 
More embarrassed that I talked and talked about if BMW did that color scheme again, I’d be all over it. Well they did and I didn’t! At this point though, I’ve got to wait and see the 2023 1300 GS. Not so much for the bump in motor size but the refresh. I know I know, I’m skirting the BH line. :facepalm: :classic_biggrin:

I just remembered you like black GS's, the bumblebee graphics and trim look nice, 1st time I'd seen one.

Patience is good, you'll know when the right one comes along.   

• Thanks 1

These Aussies don’t need no stinkin’ GS! :classic_biggrin:

This guy is a character for sure. I’ve watched a couple of his videos so far and I’m still trying to figure out if he’s a tool or he’s cool. :dontknow: :classic_biggrin:

A few bad words tossed in there.

• 1 month later...
lawnchairboy
On 1/5/2022 at 2:01 PM, roadscholar said:

I would catch some air, chop the throttle in pure panic, start plowing sand with the front wheel when I landed until I was ejected over the bars in a cloud of dust.   

• 2 weeks later...

John Martin who’s the sales manager at Max BMW predicted this bike back in 2019. Not in great detail but he said it was coming. I blame and thank him all at the same time for keeping me on my 2012 GS. :classic_biggrin:

I hope they nail the aesthetics, (:rofl: it’s a GS you arse) and I hope they get it leaked sooner than later. 

Best new info to date William, thanks! :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Red said:

the displacement race has gotten entirely out of control.

I can't disagree with this. And yet, I always want more power!

3 hours ago, Hosstage said:

And yet, I always want more power!

In the mid 80'S a friend bought a Yamaha V-Max. If I recall right, it was the fastest production bike that year. Anyway, we swapped bikes for an afternoon of riding. At first I thought this is too much and I'm going to kill myself. By the end of the day I said I want one.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1
  • 3 months later...
roadscholar

A few (6) of the CADS guys are off to ride the Wyoming BDR the next couple weeks, I hope they send some pics and vids back.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

A group of six CADS rode the Wyoming BDR last week, not a Starbucks in sight..

a63d2d73-41d1-49ec-8f8e-333bfc1104e4-jpeg.4022759

7c7d2669-5a2d-45e6-b549-5bc12e7b8c33-jpeg.4022763

2aff471e-1bf7-4907-85fb-512ccd0205e1-jpeg.4022771

c6999623-8a7f-4faf-81c9-b4ddebcc7051-jpeg.4022769

One interesting takeaway, they said the Sena's were amazing, no radio waves, no trees, nothing to interfere, they could communicate further than they could see each other up to 50 miles away.  

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We held the 2nd Trans-Fla ride of the year this past weekend from Palatka to Steinhatchee and back, over a hundred riders showed up on Saturday and about 20-25 made it back to the finish Sunday afternoon. My partner Rich bills it as having the highest attrition rate of any rally in the world including Dakar. :cool:  Not so much because they crash or break, they just get tired and go home. :grin:

One of the guys (1st timer) posted a video from his ride, nicely done and with a cautionary but worthy message at the end. He also used something I hadn’t seen before, a 360* camera mounted on his bars then afterwards used software to edit the shots he wanted to include, pretty cool. About 30 were noobs to the ride and many to offroad riding, which I love because it means we’re bringing new and younger riders into the sport that keeps it vibrant and growing, i.e. passing the torch.

``

• Like 2
7 hours ago, roadscholar said:

We held the 2nd Trans-Fla ride of the year this past weekend from Palatka to Steinhatchee and back, over a hundred riders showed up on Saturday and about 20-25 made it back to the finish Sunday afternoon. My partner Rich bills it as having the highest attrition rate of any rally in the world including Dakar. :cool:  Not so much because they crash or break, they just get tired and go home. :grin:

One of the guys (1st timer) posted a video from his ride, nicely done and with a cautionary but worthy message at the end. He also used something I hadn’t seen before, a 360* camera mounted on his bars then afterwards used software to edit the shots he wanted to include, pretty cool. About 30 were noobs to the ride and many to offroad riding, which I love because it means we’re bringing new and younger riders into the sport that keeps it vibrant and growing, i.e. passing the torch.

Who knew you could have fun on a motorcycle in Florida!  Seriously, looked like a great event.  Got a chuckle out of the dude fixing a tire and using a branch to prop up the bike.

• Like 1

I had to reload the video above because the author changed a couple things and deleted the old one. After watching it this video of 3 guys doing the Trans America Trail popped up in my feed, I liked it enough to link here. It's well done showing many of the highlights w/o being too long and is accompanied with some nice/appropriate music. It also shows how beautiful this great country many of us here are fortunate enough to live in is despite the ugliness displayed by many in the power centers on the coasts. The few are noisy but miniscule by comparison and hopefully someday will recognize how lucky we all are, they call it flyover country and couldn't be more wrong. 

It's why many of us ride dual sports and Adv bikes, to take us places like this, there is no better way to see them. I haven't ridden the TAT but (along with a few others here) have done most of the roads in the Rockies they use including Engineer Pass and the White Rim Trail in Utah, photos and videos are nice but just can't capture or do justice to experiencing it in person.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Discussing Ducati's new Desert X in the Right Now thread John Ranalletta mentioned a review by FortNine, I'm linking it here. Among other things the bike has two important features for offroading, one it has a long wheelbase like an 800GS or big KTM (and even longer at 63") making it very stable and thus easier to ride, and two you can dial back the power by a third making throttle modulation more forgiving in low traction situations proving less can def be more. And then there's some pretty good Italian humor at the end : )

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
On 12/8/2022 at 7:05 PM, roadscholar said:

And then there's some pretty good Italian humor at the end : )

One of, if not, the best short he has done.  He knows how to tell a story in an engaging way.  I was laughing pretty hard by the end.  I wonder if he has a real feature film in his future?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A few of the CADS meet up on Sundays at the 'N Fla Trials Training Center' : ) to practice their skills, some are getting pretty good at it and enter competition semi-regularly. This is Scott and Tim, Danny (Huzband) was the instigator of it all a couple years ago.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

Scott, one of our longtime CADS has been working on this for about a year (probably doesn't realize it but more like 10-15) plus he started riding trials several years ago, that's his place above where some of them train. Marine, family man, and all around good guy, more recent training has had him riding the GS on the dirtbike rides which are no cakewalk.

IMG_3228.JPG

IMG_3325.JPG

GS surrounded by dirtbikes, you really don't want to ride one where they're going, bottomless sugar sand, bigass whoops, deep dark mud holes, almost none of it slow : )

IMG_20230716_140039.jpg

He made it, one of three men and two women in the US out of close to 100 competing to go to South.Africa for the International GS Trophy..

https://www.bmwownersnews.com/2023/10/gs-intl-trophy-2024-team-usa-selected/

• Like 2

Scott was happy to share details of the experience tonight at the meeting, it was two arduous days of riding the different courses and obstacles, he didn't know he'd qualified (3 men out of 60) until dinner the last evening. We passed around and signed a card to congratulate him, can't see everyone in the pic but there were about 20 of us total.

77EA0E33-9237-4B5B-A14F-ACB4453415EF.thumb.jpeg.f558594c18c14ae2ddf63442c39614e1.jpeg

• Like 4