IGNORED

Putting the G back in G/S

roadscholar

Well, I guess I'm like a farmer.  Never enough rain, but never enough sun.  We've had a pretty damp summer, so the good is no local forest fires.  But the rain has resulted in pretty crappy road conditions (washboard, pothole-hell). 

But a good photo opportunity today:  

20190726_AssiniboineSmithDorrien.jpg

Mike

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...

After a somewhat lengthy KTM (1190R) detour Danny found his way back home, he just seems more jovial these days : )   

IMG_0805.thumb.JPG.3f0627df867093266ef528cfd1339155.JPG

IMG_0810.thumb.JPG.cd39b5ba354ffa09acdd08f89d825a2c.JPG

• Like 2

Been meaning to show off Buck's Zero too, he really likes it (has an XR650R too) and does a good bit of offroading on it. Says it has about 150 mile range and there's a  charger in one of the small towns near where we ride. He's also talking to an RV park in Ocala Nat Forest so he can charge off one of their 50amp sites, evidently it's really fast with those. 

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Spoke to the gent today, he's waiting on a deposit from Washington state. I should be pushy and flash him the cash tomorrow but, I really don't need it...but...but...she's beautiful in a rugged sort of way. :ohboy::grin: Under eight thousand miles. :java:

image.jpeg

• Like 2

We'll see. If he pings me back today I may be in trouble. Larry has great taste as does Bill, so there has to be something there. I know one thing for sure, they don't build them like that anymore! :thumbsup:

Had a deal on it...I said the only thing that would give me pause is the tank, it had to be almost perfect in my twisted mind. He was honest and sent me this. :dontknow:

09F3A181-79A5-4D35-9DBC-E0D5C2364F8F.jpeg

Probably too late (he had a few backups) but I was scrambling for an acceptable cover up and thought of these.

710S5ZoBRhL._AC_SY450_.jpg

I knew there was a reason every time I've gone over Schofield Pass I always loop back around through Paradise Valley (which is beautiful btw). Gosh, I seem to remember somebody here did Devil's Punchbowl several years ago but just can't recall who it was. :grin:  :wave:  Keep in mind it gets tougher and rockier every year with all the traffic (the FS almost never maintains trails like this) and consequences of a mistake are, well you'll see.. this guy was really lucky.

Found this on Advrider, a little less stress than the previous vid plus I like the bike, the roads and the music. The camp spot is pretty cool too.

• Like 2

Have a question on the 1150 GS adventure. Sometime back I read that you could (short beak) the bike to give it a sportier appearance. I can't find the article. (ADVR maybe :dontknow:) Was it just the bolt on beak extension or the whole beak itself? Still looking BTW. ;)

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:35 AM, roadscholar said:

I knew there was a reason every time I've gone over Schofield Pass I always loop back around through Paradise Valley (which is beautiful btw). Gosh, I seem to remember somebody here did Devil's Punchbowl several years ago but just can't recall who it was. :grin:  :wave:  Keep in mind it gets tougher and rockier every year with all the traffic (the FS almost never maintains trails like this) and consequences of a mistake are, well you'll see.. this guy was really lucky.

I'm pretty sure larry and I saw this group on the day this happened just North of Gunny.

10 hours ago, lawnchairboy said:

I'm pretty sure larry and I saw this group on the day this happened just North of Gunny.

Small world, btw there is some great riding in that area and not nearly as demanding as what they did : )

Had a deal made to meet and look at this one today. Seller was away over the weekend, as agreed I waited for a response this morning, nothing. Look on CL, the ad was pulled. Not how I would of done it but oh well.

image.jpegR

PS..I believe this was the same GSA that was for sale last year in NJ. Slacked and missed it then. 

Not that it really matters but, sent a text this morning to find out for certain. 

"Morning, I assume you sold the bike to someone else"

"Yes I did, sorry"

"K"

Nice video by one of the guys on our club's Colorado trip earlier this month. We based in Kremmling this time and you can see there is some great riding that hasn't been overrun by hoardes of SxS's, 4-wheelers, and Jeep traffic common to the better known areas. The local bike shop took a group out after work one day to the local OHV park and accompanying trails..

• Like 2

It's his standard intro Pat, some of these young guys are pretty good with the video and drone stuff : ) That little mesa is just above the town on the north side. Here's his first one, it gives you an idea how extensive the trail system is around there. I think you can watch part 2 at the end if you want, there's a little more drone footage in it.

Well, very nice intro then! :grin: A drone on Black Bear would've been something. I don't think it would have captured my sobbing from that angle and distance. :D

While we're on drones here's one more, of our buddy Sam's house where some of us stayed for the week. It is a different perspective from high above.

• Like 1

There's still some out there, I located a few that aren't local but could be a fly and ride,  will send you the links in a PM.

Marty, I knew I could count on you! :thumbsup::classic_biggrin: Again, appreciate all the leads but the two that got away had very low mileage and were almost showroom condition. I let the silver one slide because of a minor tank blemish, the black & yellow, well somebody's cash spoke louder than my words. :dontknow: I'm probably going to be too picky to make this happen overnight.

Just read this Ralph Waldo Emerson quote and thought it appropriate for those of us that like to take the off road "no path" rides.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."  :18:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 9/12/2019 at 7:04 PM, TEWKS said:

Spoke to the gent today, he's waiting on a deposit from Washington state. I should be pushy and flash him the cash tomorrow but, I really don't need it...but...but...she's beautiful in a rugged sort of way. :ohboy::grin: Under eight thousand miles. :java:

image.jpeg

Here's one Pat. They don't seem to be going down in value anymore, I think somebody said that was going to happen awhile back : )

https://advrider.com/f/threads/2004-gsa-38000-for-sale.1419147/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, roadscholar said:

They don't seem to be going down in value anymore, I think somebody said that was going to happen awhile back : )

Hmm, he must be a pretty sharp speculator whoever it is. ;)

8 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Hmm, he must be a pretty sharp speculator whoever it is. ;)

I doubt that but it's just a matter of watching certain trends. Here's an example in the 4 wheel world, 15 years ago you could've gotten this car for around $10k or less, now they're going for a good bit more.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1978-porsche-911sc-27/

Marty, just my '66 VW window/sliding roof bus, and my '72 CSL would be nice to still have, lol.

But, my dog still loves me.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, Schofield Pass/ Devils Punchbowl.  Here I am starting up.  The twin falls on the left is where the gentleman went over. Next pic at the top is where he made his left turn over the side.  Last pic is two guys on new giant adventure bikes on street tires that had no clue what they were going to see when the left Crested Butte :3:

DSCF0147.thumb.JPG.4298b67a828d3a0b3277f08b5b460d35.JPG

DSCF0188.JPG

DSCF0190.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2019 at 1:34 PM, KTM Doug said:

Ah, Schofield Pass/ Devils Punchbowl.  Here I am starting up.  The twin falls on the left is where the gentleman went over. Next pic at the top is where he made his left turn over the side.  Last pic is two guys on new giant adventure bikes on street tires that had no clue what they were going to see when the left Crested Butte :3:

DSCF0147.thumb.JPG.4298b67a828d3a0b3277f08b5b460d35.JPG

DSCF0188.JPG

DSCF0190.JPG

Fools errand on a big GS

• 1 month later...

Just came across this and thought it was interesting, Jim Hyde (RawHyde Adv) does Tincup Pass and it kicks his butt. He doesn't tell you the other side is just as bad. I did it in the Jeep year before last and it wasn't even much fun in that.. a few of you guys will recognize where they started from, well except for Larry : )

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
roadscholar

Well that was good, Lyndon and Baldy are both pretty cool, always enjoy listening to them. What some don't realize is in a previous life Baldy was a geo-scientist with a Masters in something else and Lyndon was an aerospace engineer before they ventured off on their own. Although one of the better quotes was Baldy's wife's comment, "two men half a brain, 3 men no brain", sounds about right.  :grin:

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
roadscholar

Came across this video Pat did several years ago. It all began innocently enough the night before at a cookout at Whip's house but after a few adult beverages, the enlistment of TEWKS and lawnchairboy to help cement the scheme, and the borrowing of several dirt style motorsickles, a plan was hatched to lure a few predominately street-riding BMWST-er's into the dirt (although admittedly I think all had some prior experience). 

The gang of seven (lawnchairboy took the photo)

IMG_3059.JPG

So if you're bored with nothing else to do here's 20 minutes you'll never get back : )

• Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...
lawnchairboy
On 4/12/2020 at 3:02 PM, roadscholar said:

Came across this video Pat did several years ago. It all began innocently enough the night before at a cookout at Whip's house but after a few adult beverages, the enlistment of TEWKS and lawnchairboy to help cement the scheme, and the borrowing of several dirt style motorsickles, a plan was hatched to lure a few predominately street-riding BMWST-er's into the dirt (although admittedly I think all had some prior experience). 

The gang of seven (lawnchairboy took the photo)

IMG_3059.JPG

So if you're bored with nothing else to do here's 20 minutes you'll never get back : )

If the sun is shining and I am in the woods on two wheels in colorado :

1) it is going to be a good day

2) it is going to be a good day

3) chances are it is on a road Bill showed me

4) thank you Bill

5) thank you Bill.

• Like 2