IGNORED

Putting the G back in G/S

roadscholar

Salida Unrally ride 2012, more than enough adventure for one day (the story in pictures).

026-XL.jpg

084-XL.jpg

099-XL.jpg

107-XL.jpg

126-XL.jpg

139-XL.jpg

165-XL.jpg

167-XL.jpg

169-XL.jpg

193-XL.jpg

198-XL.jpg

202-XL.jpg

204-XL.jpg

210-XL.jpg

225-XL.jpg

228-XL.jpg

245-XL.jpg

Edited by roadscholar
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a few pro quality videos from Husky, the scenery alone is worth it. The bikes ain't bad either.

Am glad to see the brand prosper, and have fond memories of one of these from the 70's.

unshXl.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Really well done video of a couple adventure bikers hitting the outer reaches of Australia, including Tasmania. It's long, over 20 minutes, so may want to view it in segments.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Marty. It has been great. Rene Cormier of Renedian Adventures has included some gravel every day. Yesterdays optional day was up to Combrinks Pass from the east gate of Baviaanskoof Nature Reserve. Less then 45km total gravel and only 526m (1725ft) elevation but grade up to 17% and pretty deeply rutted/exposed rocks on the steep sections.

OI000035_zpsovhhrozs.jpg

OI000029_zpsccouvz9s.jpg

IMG_20151130_220533_zpslhq6yxek.jpg

FB_IMG_1448936918306_zps8dyrpjb7.jpg

Most importantly no rented BMWs were harmed in the making of those photos.

Mik Cassidy

Mike that's some great stuff from South Africa, Wow!

Some may have seen these videos from our Polar Bear Rally a few years ago but I think they're worth repeating, MikeRC has reminded me we're just getting into our riding season here, yes north of the Equator : )

If anyone's interested in this year's event a description and signup is here.

First a video from Kubano, 13 min.

and another from Vico1, 17 min.

Ya, I could hear crunchy sounds behind me which is almost never good. Thought it turned out pretty decent considering all the possibilities. :grin:

• 2 weeks later...
Ya, I could hear crunchy sounds behind me which is almost never good. Thought it turned out pretty decent considering all the possibilities. :grin:

I didn't say anything at the time, but when I came through ahead of her, it struck me that you had parked in a potential impact area in your haste to get pictures (as a former SCCA corner worker, I think about impact areas). Which is why I stopped a fair bit down the road.

At least it didn't turn out too badly.

In hindsight not the ideal place to stop although the alternative was not stopping at all as the road fell away quickly, and any further right the bike wouldn't have stayed upright with my passenger still on it.

Yes, a quick decision but more forethought involved than a casual observer might assume. I thought getting the photo(s) was worth the risk, it's what I do. An inch or two to the right and it would've been a clean getaway, I have gone over the scenario in my head many times since.

Currently I'm in the process of switching to video, it takes some of the creativity out of it but all you have to do is turn it on and ride, or get out of the way, as the case may be. I'm already enjoying the luxury of having both hands on the bars in the sand : )

Ok, just for fun let's compare those last two photos..

FB_IMG_1448936918306_zps8dyrpjb7.jpg

One is (we'll assume) Mike nicely tip-toeing thru a low water crossing in South Africa on a rented bike (note the photographer is on the other side of the road avoiding the possibility of oncoming traffic).

Copy%20%282%29%20of%20halloween%20046-XL.jpg

The other is of an adventurous lady going almost WFO thru her first water crossing yelling WOO-HOO! as loud as she could, which brings to mind a standing joke here in the land of CADS. "I mean what could possibly go wrong?" : )

Edited by roadscholar

It's that time of year again!

No, not that, the 2016 Dakar Rally, the world's toughest race. Coverage begins January 4 on NBCSN at 5:30 EST.

KTM has a new team this year including female rider Laia Sanz and she's good, here's the promo video.

• 4 weeks later...
What is that white stuff? :wave:

That's what you get when large flocks of birds head south.

Well, maybe that's just what I say when I see it coming down...

Edited by lkraus
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
roadscholar

Got out for a ride in the forest this afternoon, not on a GS. One of these days I'll get the camera pointed in the right direction..

Ocala NF

roadscholar

I liked it looking back Pat but it's kinda getting old now, plus no one wants to follow me anymore I think they're getting bored. :grin:

roadscholar

Gettin' old Pat plus the youngsters are all ridin' 5hunnys and 2 smokes now, anymore I'm just in the way : )

Here's a few from two days before, it had rained the day before that so it's packed down a little, makes Ocala fast and fun.

East side of 19

West side

south to 316

Nice! Now, do you trailer the bike over there or ride it? Sounds like a pretty healthy four stroke you have there! :thumbsup:

Pat

• 2 weeks later...
roadscholar

Nick, Alex, and I met up with Stacy and Kim on Sunday for a little ride in the forest, nice central Fla Spring day. And it was a shakedown run after Nick lowered my 350 a little. In the first one we're getting warmed up along the edge of Hopkins Prairie. The last is one of the many canopy trails we like to ride.

Hopkins Prairie

equipment check

skinny trees trail

Let's see, ten or so more years and my choice will be...plaid pants & shuffleboard or KTMs' and sand berms. I'm with you, Bill! :grin::clap:

Pat

roadscholar
Let's see, ten or so more years and my choice will be...plaid pants & shuffleboard or KTMs' and sand berms. I'm with you, Bill! :grin::clap:

Pat

I don't know Pat, plaid pants sound a little risky. We better stick with sand berms. :grin:

lawnchairboy

You guys just need shiny white alpinestars tall MX boots to wear with your Bermuda shorts, it's all good.

roadscholar

I've noticed one needs to be confident and/or proficient in their dirt bike riding skills to show up wearing white boots so until that time comes black boots it will continue to be : )

Edited by roadscholar

I need some G in my GS......I'm about to open a side business selling carefully collected dust from the statue in my garage that resembles a motorcycle.

Don't think there is much of a market there.....

roadscholar

Well c'mon let's go..

If anyone's interested in some Colorado small bike stuff I plan on being in Salida before and after the Unrally and should have access to a few 250's and 400's. The light bikes let you access places probably not advisable on a GS, although some can and do. The first 4 are across the road from the campground I usually stay at.

Mt. Shavano

IMG_1040-X3.jpg

Up on Taylor Mountain

IMG_1873-X3.jpg

Monarch Pass is in the background

IMG_1874-X3.jpg

You can see this spot in the 2nd pix.

IMG_1891-X3.jpg

One of the easier sections of Rainbow Trail.

IMG_1017-X3.jpg

Above Cumberland Pass.

IMG_1764-X3.jpg

There's also plenty of big bike stuff..

IMG_1823-X3.jpg

I'd love to, but I blew all of my vacation time this year snowboarding

Some fresh tracks from a day of cat skiing

20160216_135459_zpsimee0vgy.jpg

the same tracks zoomed out (on the right side)

20160216_135438_zps2xbkqxzu.jpg

roadscholar

Wow, that looks like it would be a rush (not for me though)! Doesn't look like a ton of snow there but do you ever worry about avalanches or wear a beacon in case?

Actually, there was a ton of snow there. That was all at least mid thigh to waist deep when hauling ass down the hill. That was almost a straight down vertical drop. We asked the guide about the best route down and he replied "SFD"......Straight F'ing Down....and then just took off :rofl:

The first couple of runs were absolutely terrifying until I got the hang of it. That was in a provisional park in British Columbia near a town called Nelson. It was a completely different kind of technique than I had ever had to use here on the east coast. You basically just lean as far back as humanly possible and scream like a wild animal. After a few runs, it starts to get pretty fun....until you fall down in the flat sections. That was exhausting. It was like trying to climb out of quicksand while at 10k feet. Maybe I'll do a little write up as a "ride report". I have some pretty sweet pics and a few videos that do it no justice.

Edit....oh yes, we were concerned about avalanches. Our group actually set off two of them the day we were out. One intentionally, one accidentally. We all wore beacons and had to take a class to learn how to use them. We also carried shovels and probes. It was serious business, but a complete blast once the adrenaline got flowing

Edited by OoPEZoO
Well c'mon let's go..

If anyone's interested in some Colorado small bike stuff I plan on being in Salida before and after the Unrally

We're going to need a full time DROOL emoji around here if these pics keep showing up! :grin:

Bill, do you know what date you are going to be out there before the UN? Have truck & small camp trailer. (very small) And, the search is on for a small D/S bike.

Need to work a bunch of levers but I would love to get out there again this year! :thumbsup:

Pat