IGNORED

Putting the G back in G/S

roadscholar

Matts_12GS
Thanks Craig, that one worked just great! :thumbsup: Love your editing skills!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Pat

Absolutely Craig, a really great job. I've been showing it to quite a few people and to a one they love it

I have no idea what he is saying but he does a pretty good job at speaking our language. Ok except for the cold. ;) It's quite long but the beautiful scenery may keep you in it.

Watch it in 720 :thumbsup:

Should of done it on the Aprilia though.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/02/23/2015-aprilia-caponord-1200-rally-adventure-motorcycle-review-first-ride-photos-specifications/

Pat

roadscholar

I've just watched about half so far but really cool, I love crap like that!

You had to go an show me that new Caponord, dammit. Over the years I've had a Falco, old Capo, Futura, and just picked up a used 1200 Dorsoduro (yikes!) a few months ago. Thought I'd be safe for awhile : )

Thought I'd be safe for awhile : )

No disrespect Bill, but don't be silly! :rofl:

It does look pretty nice! :thumbsup:

Pat

Thanks Craig, that one worked just great! :thumbsup: Love your editing skills!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Pat

Absolutely Craig, a really great job. I've been showing it to quite a few people and to a one they love it

Thanks guys. The software is very much like music recording software, with which I have some years of experience.

roadscholar

Hijacking my own thread temporarily for 24 Hours of Lemans live coverage. You can see it on Fox 2 and elsewhere but this is free streaming from several cockpits, Porsche Motorsports. You can get commentary from Radio Lemans.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsandracing/motorsport/worksracing/raceseries/fiawec/livestreaming/#

The tie in is I've found auto racing (30 years in Porsches) very similar to riding off-road motorcycles. They both require similar levels of concentration, decision-making, and physical and mental stamina. Plus the fact you learn there's usually someone slower than you, and ALWAYS someone that's faster. :)

Edited by roadscholar
roadscholar

True Marty. I don't keep close tabs but I think he's mostly hung it up, probably still does some vintage racing and instructing tho.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurley_Haywood

The guy (a friend) that always amazed me was Brian Redman, I learned more from him in some races than any instructor could ever teach you. One of fastest and most versatile driver's ever, and though he's fairly well known, never achieved the level of notoriety he deserved. And he was still competitive well into his 70's. I think the only driver in history to turn down an invitation from Enzo Ferrari to drive for his F1 team (the 70's were a very dangerous period in F1 and he had two young children).

I was combing thru some old racing photos of a buddy that worked for Road and Track and found one of Brian and Peter Gregg in Victory Circle for the '76 24 Hours of Daytona (BMW CSL). Brian look haggard and completely worn out, Peter looked fresh and just the opposite, so the next time I saw Brian I asked him why. He said Peter started the race and came in after an hour or so (1st fuel stop), said he didn't feel good and was going back to his motel. He never came back, Brian drove the remaining time and won the race, Peter got there in time for the champagne. I don't think many people know that, and the rules have changed now to keep it from happening again.

This wikipedia article is somewhat incomplete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Redman

Found this too, typical of his understatement, a true gentleman.

http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/Articles/2011/12/Dec-2-GA-Blog-1976-Redman.aspx

I'll never forget going down the front straight at Roebling and hearing him tell me, "I'll tell you when to brake". Thought for sure me and my car were going to be destroyed that day. Great guy and instructor!

roadscholar

:grin:

Yep, both of 'em are. :thumbsup:

If anyone cares, right now is one of the best times to watch, when it goes from daylight to dark, not only is it pretty but things usually get interesting.

roadscholar

Update appreciated Craig, I've been traveling.

Random Bike in a random town in front of a random store, just sayin'

IMG_0671%5B1%5D-L.jpg

IMG_0671%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Hey, I know that guy!

Bill_Walker

Random. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

roadscholar

I think it's just a random (mis)interpretation, could happen to anyone. I mean jeez Louise. :grin:

He random tires down to the bare cords.

Probably will have by the time he gets back from Wisconsin on the beast, his comment was the motor is 'other-worldly'. Just what I wanted to hear. :)

roadscholar

One of our guys from Florida moved to Denver last week and came over to Salida on the weekend to squeeze in some riding before he starts work at the new locale.

IMG_0929-XL.jpg

IMG_0948-XL.jpg

IMG_0966-XL.jpg

IMG_0971-XL.jpg

IMG_0980-XL.jpg

IMG_0977-XL.jpg

IMG_0953-XL.jpg

IMG_0987-XL.jpg

Edited by roadscholar

^^^^^ what Pat said. And I know those pictures don't give any of those locations justice for how beautiful they are

IMG_0671%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Same random bike and random rider in Warrens. He sure gets around. :grin:

^^^^^ what Pat said. And I know those pictures don't give any of those locations justice for how beautiful they are

Which mountain is that in the background of several of the shots??

roadscholar

Pretty sure it's Mt. Shavano Bud, although Mt. Tabeguache (another 14-er) is next to it and sort of behind it. They're on the north side of US50 and we were on the south side up Green's Creek and Willow Creek. We rode a couple of hours and were never more than 5 miles from the campground as the crow flies.

roadscholar

The Rainbow Trail is 100 miles of singletrack that runs southeasterly past Salida then down the east side of the Sangre de Cristo range. Caleb and I rode two sections (about 14 miles), the one from Silver Creek to 285 and the "easy" section from cr108 to Bear Creek. It is simultaneously beautiful and challenging, and I'd have liked to have a lighter bike than the WR. My pictures don't capture the full effect, one because the camera doesn't show steepness of terrain, and two because I needed to keep moving in the rocky and steeper stuff.

IMG_1000-XL.jpg

IMG_1005-XL.jpg

IMG_1036-XL.jpg

IMG_1014-XL.jpg

IMG_1018-XL.jpg

IMG_1043-XL.jpg

IMG_1035-XL.jpg

IMG_1044-XL.jpg

We were surprised to find this because most had been cut by local riders (hundreds of trees fall on the trails every Winter) and almost turned back. We lifted both bikes over and continued though. We figured they just wanted to keep the traffic under control.

IMG_1046-XL.jpg

IMG_1047-XL.jpg

Quite a few 180 switchbacks

IMG_1050-XL.jpg

IMG_1054-XL.jpg

IMG_1045-XL.jpg

I think we were happy at the conclusion. :grin:

IMG_1062-XL.jpg

Edited by roadscholar

Pretty sure it's Mt. Shavano Bud, although Mt. Tabeguache (another 14-er) is next to it and sort of behind it. They're on the north side of US50 and we were on the south side up Green's Creek and Willow Creek. We rode a couple of hours and were never more than 5 miles from the campground as the crow flies.

You guys are having way too much fun!!!!! :thumbsup::wave:

roadscholar

Any day riding in Colorado is a good day and we were lucky with a great weather window. Caleb came back the following weekend with his video camera and put this together, a worthy first attempt. A few of these places will look familiar to some.

roadscholar

I think so and why some of those places are a primary riding destination. Having a capable riding companion is nice as it allows us to explore some stuff I probably wouldn't attempt alone.

Edited by roadscholar
roadscholar

I know some here rode 2 strokes back in the day and I found this interesting mainly because they still have a viable slot in today's dirtbike world. In the 70's I had a Yamaha MX250, RT360, and a Husky CR250. Later my "demo" at the Yamaha shop was an IT175. All pretty cool bikes but wayback machines compared to this.

Edited by roadscholar
I know some here rode 2 strokes back in the day and I found this interesting mainly because they still have a viable slot in today's dirtbike world. In the 70's I had a Yamaha MX250, RT360, and a Husky CR250. Later my "demo" at the Yamaha shop was an IT175. All pretty cool bikes but wayback machines compared to this.

Thanks for posting this. :thumbsup:

Great video that brings back wonderful memories for me. I had a 3 years love affair with a Yamaha RT360 during my first year in the Navy when stationed on the Pacific Island of Guam from 1970 - 1973.

roadscholar
I had a 3 years love affair with a Yamaha RT360 during my first year in the Navy when stationed on the Pacific Island of Guam from 1970 - 1973.

It was a great bike Bob, I had one from about '71 to '77, a long time in those days and my only transportation at times. It truly was a dual purpose motorcycle and maybe the predecessor of today's adventure bikes. Don't remember if it had much range but whoever designed those gas tanks should get an award, they were simply beautiful as was the entire package.

RT2ADPICS003.jpg

59581430_twYPN-O.jpg

20 minute video

Another fantastic video! Thanks for posting!

Now I remember why I switched to street bikes about 30 years ago. :grin:

roadscholar

I was somewhere between Dallas and Amarillo when the text came. It was Kenny telling me they'd made it to Buffalo, Oklahoma for the night. Heck I'd almost forgotten he told me a month ago a bunch of em were riding the TAT and would be in Salida late June. The next day we missed each other by a few hours in Clayton, N.M.

Kenny was having a problem, his radiator cap wasn't keeping pressure and was losing coolant out the overflow. After awhile one of his Tennessee buds whittled a stick and plugged the overflow that allowed them to continue onto Salida. Caleb and I made it into town that evening in time to hear some entertaining and pretty amazing stories about their travels. Think about 6 or 7 guys riding dirt roads and trails from E. Tennessee to Colorado for a week... incredibly they were all still laughing.

The next day all but Kenny headed west for Port Orford, Oregon. He'd done the western half a few years prior with Mark but mostly big-t (some may remember the ride tale). He rode to Denver to get a new radiator cap (Whip tried to help but his bike used a different part) and got a surprise invite to hang with with Neduro awhile on the way back.

IMG_1136%20-%20Copy-XL.jpg

Which brings us to this, a too brief window on Sunday in which the three of us got to do a little riding. We headed straight across the street to some familiar territory but then I wanted to see how far we could get up Taylor Mountain. It's the one on the left with all the snow on top. Unlike our campsite the reception is pretty good here : )

IMG_1126%20-%20Copy-XL.jpg

IMG_1121%20-%20Copy-XL.jpg

The road to the halfway point is about 7 miles, it seems like about a 30 degree incline, and the top two-thirds is much rockier than this.

IMG_1110%20-%20Copy-XL.jpg

I've seen a few riders panting for oxygen and bikes spewing coolant by the time they got here. These two basically attacked it, I on the other hand was pacing myself : )

IMG_1068-XL.jpg

3 guesses, which guy is half the other two guy's ages. :grin:

IMG_1073-XL.jpg

Taylor Mountain. It wasn't looking terribly optimistic.

IMG_1082%20-%20Copy-XL.jpg

IMG_1085%20-%20Copy-XL.jpg

Kenny was already halfway up this ridge..

IMG_1078%20-%20Copy-XL.jpg

Luckily they both came back because that wasn't the way we were going.

IMG_1089%20-%20Copy-XL.jpg

Edited by roadscholar
roadscholar

IMG_1095%20-%20Copy-XL.jpg

We had to dip down into a little bowl with some trees to get to the other side, kind of figured if there was going to be a problem it would be there.

IMG_1097%20-%20Copy-XL.jpg

Kenny says no go.

IMG_1099%20-%20Copy-XL.jpg

The youngster did some recon to see if it got better or worse and came back with the same answer, probably soon but not today (it gets fairly steep around the next 180).

IMG_1103%20-%20Copy-XL.jpg

We take a break and consider our good fortune nonetheless.

IMG_1108%20-%20Copy-XL.jpg

A couple shots of the other side from last July.

IMG_1929-XL.jpg

Hard to see but they are both about halfway up the side of the hill.

IMG_1933-XL.jpg

Caleb needed to get back by a certain time so we headed down.

IMG_1109%20-%20Copy-XL.jpg

IMG_1117%20-%20Copy-XL.jpg

Back at camp I switched bikes then Kenny and I rode over to Sargents for a late lunch and looped back across Marshall Pass.

IMG_1130%20-%20Copy-XL.jpg

IMG_1132%20-%20Copy-XL.jpg

IMG_1171-XL.jpg

IMG_1179-XL.jpg

All in all an excellent day.

IMG_1161-XL.jpg

Certainly beats my weekend of digging out and recapping a cesspool at my Grandmothers place after it partially collapsed and caused a sink hole. I didn't take any pics, but trust me......in happened.

Your pics look like much more fun.

roadscholar
Certainly beats my weekend of digging out and recapping a cesspool at my Grandmothers place after it partially collapsed and caused a sink hole. I didn't take any pics, but trust me......in happened.

Your pics look like much more fun.

I would more or less hope so. :grin:

Hey, if you need to get away for a bit there's an idle bike sitting at Larry's.

• 2 weeks later...
roadscholar

So, how many Texans does it take to change rear pads?

IMG_1976-XL.jpg

More than I could fit in one photo : )

IMG_1977-XL.jpg

Thanks guys! What followed was an excellent day of riding..

Our fearless leader (for awhile)

IMG_1981-XL.jpg

Tour de Salida

IMG_1984-XL.jpg

Who is that masked man?

IMG_2002-XL.jpg

Turret, ghost town.

IMG_2026-XL.jpg

but people are moving back in..

IMG_2019-XL.jpg

Tour of the old Post Office, which doubled as a Pony Express stop in the day. It's for sale, Larry's interested : )

IMG_2024-XL.jpg

The road in and out is just a big dirt rollercoaster.

IMG_2028-XL.jpg

IMG_2033-XL.jpg

Limecreek's ride for the day.

IMG_2041-XL.jpg

IMG_2044-XL.jpg

Having rear brakes is nice.

IMG_2053-XL.jpg

SWMcKinley on the Stelvio NTX (this is one fine motorcycle folks, he let me ride it later in the day and was duly smitten).

IMG_2056-XL.jpg

These guys were having fun for being mainly pavement-pounders.

IMG_2067-XL.jpg

I just like this one.

IMG_2076-XL.jpg

roadscholar

I think there was a song or two written about places like this.

IMG_2082-XL.jpg

Getting our bearings straight, a wrong turn could mean a long walk, as we didn't top off.

IMG_2086-XL.jpg

They took to this like fish to water.

IMG_2097-XL.jpg

IMG_2103-XL.jpg

IMG_2105-XL.jpg

IMG_2107-XL.jpg

IMG_2112-XL.jpg

IMG_2114-XL.jpg

Good stuff guys, thanks for a great day.

IMG_2122-XL.jpg

IMG_2123-XL.jpg