IGNORED

K1600

gordiet

We've got a few K1600 riders because after all, this is a BMW Sport Touring website. But mostly this is an RT site with some GS converts. There's a good forum over at K1600 Forum, but you can hang out here as well. We've got Torrey, UT, rides in the Spring and Fall. This year our National "Un"Rally is in Warrens, Wisconsin in mid June, and no other forum has characters like Wurty, Whip, Killer, Marty Hill and others.

Enjoy your K1600. It's a fabulous bike. Stick around. It's a great group of people and they won't mind if your bike is faster.

We've got a few K1600 riders because after all, this is a BMW Sport Touring website. But mostly this is an RT site with some GS converts. There's a good forum over at K1600 Forum, but you can hang out here as well. We've got Torrey, UT, rides in the Spring and Fall. This year our National "Un"Rally is in Warrens, Wisconsin in mid June, and no other forum has characters like Wurty, Whip, Killer, Marty Hill and others.

Enjoy your K1600. It's a fabulous bike. Stick around. It's a great group of people and they won't mind if your bike is faster.

+1 -- I have an RT and a K16, and find both this forum and the K1600forum have a bunch of good folks. The K16 forum, being single line-focused, obviously has more posts than here but there's more to riding and forums than the engine. Stick around for a lot of useful info!

Been told without pictures it didn't happen. :grin:Sometimes Ok, most of the time I miss the obvious so what is your question? :)

BlackandwhiteGT_zpsea4bb248.jpg

Pat

I have a 1200 RT as well. Actually I have two 1200 RT's and 05 and an 08. I'm going to sell both RT's soon as I'm looking at getting a new 2015 RT. Too many motorcycles but a lot of fun. Gt

Yeah, what the heck would you do with two motorcycles, or six. :rofl: IMO, a huge leap forward with the new LC/RT. You'll really like it. :thumbsup:

Pat

• 6 months later...

Attention RT/LC riders: I interrupt this RT love fest with an important announcement. I have been demo riding BMW's of late, hoping to get back in the game. So enjoyed the RT/LC, what a fantastic motorcycle. Wife and I rode it a week later--not so hot 2 up. I'm 240lbs, but she's only maybe 125lbs, and we rode down 84 east in CT, got to an uphill stint on the highway, so I wondered if I had a hot rode on my tail would I have confidence in this bikes ability to get away from the maniac. I found that RT sorta lacked the power to move the two of fast enough for my liking.

Today, we demo rode the K1600GT, and I still have a big, wide smile on my face. Now that's a motorcycle! Same stretch of highway and let me tell you what, bye bye maniac! Six serious cylinders singing sweet songs of supersonic-ness :grin:

I am very surprised as the new RT was a given. But, in the interest of due diligence, we tested the K16. Wow!!!

Just me? K1300s. Just me and not wanting to die? R12RT hands down. But 2 up? K1600GT for sure. I found that motorcycle so easy to manage, handle, stop, go--I was right at home on that bike. The RT would smoke it on iin the twisties, I imagine, but for 2 up comfort the K16 is king.

I do wonder about reliability issues with the K16, especially with respect to the drive train. I'll get one and that's when BMW will announce a model redo with bullet proof drive train, like the RT/LC.

James,

Beth and I went on a leisurely ride this morning on my old brick.

Great 2 up bike, not a match for my boxer in the twisties (If I'm riding it :grin: ) but thowe days are farther behind me now.

I want comfort, great acceleration if needed in any gear, great brakes, and electrical power for 2.

I would imagine the 1600 has this covered as well.

;)

Tewks kas had both and has some good perspective but I don't think he did 2 up.

It is a different game altogether, IMO.

Don't worry, new bikes come w/a warranty.

:thumbsup:

Buy it a get back on the road.

Life is good, but short.

:wave:

Best wishes.

Tim, I believe you knew what I meant but I should have quoted just to be safe. :grin:

Tewks kas had both and has some good perspective

Pat

Tim, I believe you knew what I meant but I should have quoted just to be safe. :grin:

Tewks kas had both and has some good perspective

Pat

Of course.

:wave:

Shaolin Master Sergeant

I have a 2013 GTL. Creeping up close to 29k miles. I love the bike. Liked it better than the previous RT. While it is not as nimble as an RT on the tight stuff, once the road opens up, it is just superlative. Power is addicting but I find that its power is able to get me out of iffy situations immediately. I get the impression that it is a very safe road bike. It has a nice "presence" because it is big so it gets noticed by cagers. Brakes, ride modes and traction control lower the ill effects of wet slippery surfaces. Wind protection possibly not as good as the RT but the GTL has the side vents that direct air at the rider on hot days. Central locking bags, the trick headlight setup, the wonderwheel control for infotainment, built-in GPS, etc. All these add up to make it the bestest ever in the whole wide world bike FOR ME!

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, it's the K1600 GT Sport for 2016. I bet it's going to be stunning in person! :thumbsup:

I Muuuust Reeeesist!

But, you never do!! :D

Ya, I've had a few weak moments in the last couple of years. :eek::grin:

Pat

I am a K1600 convert. I had a 2004 R1150RT before purchasing a year old 2013 GT. Both bikes are excellent and to me are better than the competition from other brands. The first thing you have do is to be careful when passing, really careful as this thing goes to near light speed. Other than that it is about 100 pounds heavier and that matters in the driveway or parking space. It seems more narrow than my '04 RT. Once you reach 2 mph or more it weighs much less. A friend who convinced me to move from the RT to the GT has returned to an RT. This is a very different animal than my older RT. It managed to keep me up with a much better rider on a 2008 RT and it was not just on the straights where it is breathtaking. It rocks the curves too. It is very comfortable and utterly smooth. I look at the Harley in the next lane sometimes at a stoplight and watch the motion. While waiting at the Canadian border a Harley rider was very envious of the vibration free handlebars, his wife was even more envious. Granted, an RT is very smooth too, but not as smooth as that six on my bike. I led a group of three riders for a while and the other two riders both mentioned how well the pipes were designed to allow a serious lean in the curves. They were impressed and this is from two definitely superior riders with far more experience.

_D3X8602-Edit-Edit.jpg

Rock%20Store%202015a_zpsj5j2v6oh.jpg

I suggest that you might do what I did for a long time, do not test ride this thing or else you might agree.

Both photos are from the Snake region around the Rockstore which is great place to get a photo of you and your bike and to reduce that chicken strip a bit.

the barritz blue 04 rt is one of the 2 best looking bikes every produced by bmw, the other is the 84 r100rs. i have been lucky enough to have had both but not at the same time.

• 1 month later...

Newby here,I have 26K on my 13 GT with no issues thus far....Its a great bike and can do whatever,putt around at 30 mph or full on in the curves....Is a bit heavy but a twist of the right hand makes that go away.....Oh it does seem to like tires,if you can get 12 k on a set you did well.....Enjoy

• 3 months later...

I ride a K1600GTL. I also live about 40 miles from Warrens, WI, so if you're planning on the Rally near Black River Falls this fall, I can give out lots of routes and suggestions.

• 4 weeks later...
2bikersandabordercollie

New to this forum as well, I've had my K1600GTL since early 2013, and my wife has her S1000XR that we purchased September 2015. We ride with our Border Collies most everywhere we go.

jess_tobi_dragon2small.jpg

Cool Pic! :clap: Welcome to the forum, be sure to post up a Ride Tail ;) when the weather breaks, not that it's been all that terrible this season. Think you guys got more snow down your way than we did though. :eek:

Pat

That pooch pays attention! :thumbsup: He's looking through the turn or, there's a big herd of sheep on the side of the road. :grin:

Pat

2bikersandabordercollie
That pooch pays attention! :thumbsup: He's looking through the turn or, there's a big herd of sheep on the side of the road. :grin:

Pat

Yeah, he does actually look into the corner if he can. That picture was on the Tail of the dragon. He's done over 55,000 miles on a motorcycle (4 years old), including 3 x-country trips. I'd venture to say that he has ridden more awesome roads than most non-sport/touring bikers...

Jess_Tobi_Dragon2.jpg

BMWMOA-Smaller.jpg

He has his own facebook page too:

Tobi's Facebook Page

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I took our recently purchased 2009 R1200RT back to the BMW dealer in Oklahoma City to get some issues sorted out. They said both the cruise control and heated seats had issues that required that they dig into the bike to trace down the point of failure. We couldn't leave the bike there since it was our ride home. My wife, being concerned about the issues with the bike, suggested we ask about pricing on a new (or newer) bike, so...

DSC_0059_zpszhf5xlbm.jpg

We ended up riding a very different bike home (2014 K1600GTL).

My wife loves the fact that she sits up higher than she did on the RT, and she love the big, comfy seat. I love the engine, but I had just bonded with the RT, so I'm trying to decide if I made the right choice. It was certainly a nice ride home, but I really liked the 2016 RT we rode. My wife just doesn't like riding on the RT as much as the GTL. She has long legs, so the GTL seating is more comfy for her. I found that my '09 RT was a bit more comfy for me, but I haven't adjusted the hwy pegs on the GTL yet. There are definitely worse problems to deal with.

Our daughter gave the throttle a twist and made some comment about having control of 'absolute power'. I worry about her sometimes.

DSC_0068_zpsbg8hjlfr.jpg

DSC_0059_zpszhf5xlbm.jpg

We ended up riding a very different bike home (2014 K1600GTL).

My wife loves the fact that she sits up higher than she did on the RT, and she love the big, comfy seat. I love the engine, but I had just bonded with the RT, so I'm trying to decide if I made the right choice. It was certainly a nice ride home, but I really liked the 2016 RT we rode. My wife just doesn't like riding on the RT as much as the GTL. She has long legs, so the GTL seating is more comfy for her. I found that my '09 RT was a bit more comfy for me, but I haven't adjusted the hwy pegs on the GTL yet. There are definitely worse problems to deal with.

Give it some time. I think you'll really like it. It is one of the best 2 up touring bikes out there.

• 2 months later...

Archived