IGNORED

Etymotic Research Ear Plugs

Rougarou

Specifically, the ER•20®XS High-Fidelity Earplugs.

I ordered these as my old "issued" plugs were, well, old, 7-9 years old. I decided it was time for an upgraded set as the wind noise was just too loud.

I currently have a significant hearing loss from many years in the infantry, shoot guns and blowing stuff up and am prescribed some hearing aids (which I don't wear), so protecting what bit of hearing I do have left is slightly important.

I wear a Schuberth C3 (supposedly quiet) and during my rides, the wind noise will block out the music and intercom. I used these plugs for the first time this morning and the dampening of the wind noise is very significant. So much so that I actually had to turn my Sena down a bit.

There are only two sizes for the plugs, so, you'll have to figure out which size you need. The fit, for me, of the large ones is comfortable. The little pull tab does stick out, but it does not contact any portion of the helmet.

The back of the package states it will reduce the dB by 13, but the description on the site states a 20 dB reduction across the spectrum. Either way, the reduction is noticeable.

The plugs come with a nifty carrying case, small bead chain to attach to the carrying case and neck lanyard to connect the two plugs together.

Verdict-Recommended. The plugs do reduce the noise while letting in the music from my Sena and they are comfortable to wear.

products_450_er20sx_case_v1.jpg

Thanks for the review - since I switched from a wired earbud system to a Sena I've been very bad about wearing earplugs and have been looking for a quality non-disposable option at a reasonable price - these look like a good option.

I have a set of Etymotic plugs bought maybe 10 yrs ago, chosen for audio quality and riding noise reduction. Those subsequently became moto gearbag backup audio after replaced by custom molded plugs in combo with "air tube speakers" furnished by forum member Arizona Al during a Torrey gathering. As other folks here might chime in to confirm, the air tube style (with actual "speaker" audio output at upper chest level) avoids common tearing of electrical wires as with in-ear speakers. It can be argued that audiophile frequency range isn't comparable to that of Etymotic, yet I found that the combo of custom molded plugs with attenuated (cropped high/low) frequencies worked best for all day riding and listening comfort.

I'm a big fan of Arizona Al's earplugs. I find them very comfortable, especially since the drivers (or whatever you call them) aren't actually in the earbuds, but at chest level, like Effjay said. I tried Etymotic, but I couldn't stand the fit once I put my helmet on.

I'm a big fan of Arizona Al's earplugs. I find them very comfortable, especially since the drivers (or whatever you call them) aren't actually in the earbuds, but at chest level, like Effjay said. I tried Etymotic, but I couldn't stand the fit once I put my helmet on.

+1

I tried Etymotic, but I couldn't stand the fit once I put my helmet on.

Once my helmet is on, I don't even feel the plugs. If they do stick out a bit, they only stick out in the helmet speaker voids, thus, there is no difference in wearing them with or without the helmet on.

I tried Etymotic, but I couldn't stand the fit once I put my helmet on.

Once my helmet is on, I don't even feel the plugs. If they do stick out a bit, they only stick out in the helmet speaker voids, thus, there is no difference in wearing them with or without the helmet on.

I know people who love them, as you do. They just didn't work for me at all.

pedro cerveza

Etymotic has a few different models. They used to make the ER6i which blocked noise, fit under my helmet comfortably and had great sound. Unfortunately, it's no longer availabel. If you call them and tell them what you are looking for they can recommend a model to meet your needs. Their customer service is world class. One two separate occasions I had a pair go south well of of warrantee. Both times Etymotic replaced them for free. I'm a fan.

I've still got 2 pairs of the E6i's w/various sizes in the kit.

Beth is using Arizona Al's.

We both are very happy.

Like saddles, anatomical diffs w/ear size-shape means what works for one might not for another.

Best wishes.

Archived