IGNORED

How are you getting to the UN?

ltljohn

Leaving Saturday from Charlotte N.C. heading North on 77. After West Virginia my road riding experience ends. Anyone care to share some roads or routes you would take say from Beckley WV?

I've been studying the techniques used by Sturgis attendees, and Suzanne and I are going to pull the K on the trailer to just outside the Yogi whatsit, unload, hide the car and trailer behind a gas station, throw some dirt on our suits, and ride to the hotel. So long as it's not more than two miles to the hotel.

Oh, you think that's a sissy way to do it? YOU ride your stinking motorcycle across north Texas, OK, IA, MO, prolly some KS, and all the flat part of WI and see how YOU like it, Smarty Pants. If Dennis and Laney Andress can trailer their bikes, why, then so can I! So there!

I hear you brother. I've ridden across KS many times in the summer and I wouldn't look forward to doing it again. Therefore, my riding buddy and I are putting the bikes on the Kendon in S. IL and unloading them at my son's house in Highlands Ranch, CO.

How others choose to make that trip is their business. I'm confident enough that no one can make me feel bad about not riding there. :thumbsup:

greiffster

I'm confident enough that no one can make me feel bad about not riding there. :thumbsup:

Slacker. :grin:

Glenn Reed
Leaving Saturday from Charlotte N.C. heading North on 77. After West Virginia my road riding experience ends. Anyone care to share some roads or routes you would take say from Beckley WV?

Dan,

If you take I-77 all the way to Parkersburg WV, and then head a little bit west on US-50, you can take Ohio 555, otherwise known as the Triple Nickel, north to near Zanesville. This little gem is well known in Ohio and documented on motorcycleroads.com and other such sites. I've only ridden it once, but enjoyed it very much. Southeast Ohio is a lot like WV, and nothing like the portions above I-70 which are very flat and lots of straight roads.

You've got a little over 1000 miles just to get to the UN, depending on how many days you are planning on each end, you might want to break up the slab sections with some like this that give you some twisties to negotiate along the way. Just remember to reset your internal driving mode when you switch from one to the other.

You also might want to look at the time of day your route will hit larger cities like Columbus, which can be a total pain in the arse around rush hour.

Let us know what you decide!

I'm confident enough that no one can make me feel bad about not riding there. :thumbsup:

Slacker. :grin:

You got me there. :grin:

Always looking for the easy way. :wave:

.....Oh, you think that's a sissy way to do it? YOU ride your stinking motorcycle across north Texas, OK, IA, MO, prolly some KS, and all the flat part of WI and see how YOU like it, Smarty Pants. If Dennis and Laney Andress can trailer their bikes, why, then so can I! So there!

A little sensitive, huh? Chill out Mark, you're just turning into one of those RUBS (rich urban bikers) :/

I think Mark is more like me: BUBS (Broke Urban Bikers) :dopeslap:

Glenn Reed
Glenn thanks! that makes a good first day. Any nice roads heading West after Zanesville?

Well, as already stated, most of Ohio heading north and west from there is flat, with lots of straight roads. What I like to do if I have the time and want to avoid the slab, is put in my start and endpoints in Google maps, and under Options, check off Avoid Tolls, and Avoid Highways. Zoom in and follow the route to see where it goes. There will usually be some optional routes as well. If you see a road that looks nice, grab the existing route and move it over so it goes the way you want.

I like two and three digit US highways because, even though they don't tend to be twisty, they are usually fairly well maintained, and can be scenic. They will go through towns, and have stoplights, but they aren't the boring slab. I've ridden chunks of US 30 and US 40, and US 250 on longer trips, and they are much more relaxing than the interstate.

I know Mitch has mentioned Roadside America, where he has found interesting sites to visit along the way. There's also Motorcycleroads where other riders can recommend particular roads in an area.

greiffster
Glenn thanks! that makes a good first day. Any nice roads heading West after Zanesville?

Dan,

Do some Googling and maybe find some attractions/stuff you might want to see and route through those. I know where you're used to riding. As you get through OH and into IN and IL be prepared to be unimpressed by roads. Much flatter and straighter than where you're coming from.

• 2 weeks later...
Have talc, will travel......

Rumor is the green stuff works well. :rofl:

Looking for the lost highway......

• 3 weeks later...

I have decided on a route. Route to UN I am planning on 400 miles a day. First night stop in Ohio just south of Cleveland, second at the Mackinac bridge then across the UP to the UN. If anyone cares to join me for all or part of the ride I will be leaving PA on Saturday morning and arriving at the UN on Monday. Drop me a PM if you are interested.

Archived