IGNORED

How are you getting to the UN?

ltljohn

How are you getting to the UN? Can we use this thread so people can put up their planned route? Possibly folks can meet along the way for all or part of the trip. We could also offer tips on certain areas. I am particularly interested in how to avoid Chicago coming from the east. Mods please feel free to move of change this for best results.

Ride well.

John

In our RV. Heading north to Vancouver and then across Canada, via Saskatoon for a visit to where the RV was made. Then to Winnipeg and down to the UN. Return home via the Badlands.

I have not been to Canada in 50 years, so might need some info. :)

I live just southwest of Grand Rapids Michigan. The shortest route for me would be to go southwest around Chicago, and then up to the UN. I intend to take a more scenic route, and go north across the Mackinac Bridge, ride west through our UP, then down to Green Bay, and over to the UN. I'll get to ride along Lake Michigan a fair distance that way. I'm not sure if I'll go home that way, or down around Chicago. There is about a 225 mile difference.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I am particularly interested in how to avoid Chicago coming from the east.

You might consider one of the two ferries that cross Lake Michigan.

The Lake Express is a high-speed catamaran that runs between Muskegon and Milwaukee. Crossing takes 2.5 hours, and they make two round trips per day. You do not need to bring your own tie downs - they are provided by the ferry - but you will need to do the work of tying your bike down. Muskegon traffic is no problem at all. Milwaukee is a big city so there can be a bit of traffic on the highways, but it doesn't last nearly as long as Chicago does before you're out into farmland, and I've never seen a jam. The afternoon crossing puts you in Milwaukee at 6:15 PM; if you don't mind riding after dark you can make it from there to Warrens in about 3.5 hours, otherwise you'll probably want to overnight in Madison (the latter lets you take the scenic route to Warrens the next day). The downside of the Lake Express is that it's not cheap: round trip is $223 for one adult + one motorcycle.

If you're more budget-minded and/or more nostalgic, consider the SS Badger car ferry. This is a large antique coal-fired steam ship running between Ludington (MI) and Manitowoc (WI). Crossing takes about four hours, and the round-trip fare for one adult + motorcycle is $189. You will need to provide your own tie-downs; if you don't bring them with you, you can get them in Ludington at the Wal-Mart on the way from US31 to the port. I haven't ridden the part of Wisconsin between Manitowoc and Warrens, but judging from the way the roads are laid out on the map, it probably wouldn't be an exciting transit, but it's probably preferable to Chicago traffic. Ludington (the Michigan departure point) is also 60 miles farther north than Muskegon, so less convenient for people coming from the south/east.

From Toledo Ohio to Warrens WI:

• via Chicago, riding distance is 494 miles.
  • via the Lake Express, 403 miles in the saddle (plus the crossing itself).
  • via the SS Badger, 448 miles in the saddle (plus the crossing itself).

So the ferries don't save a whole lot of distance - 90 miles at best - but it sure is nice not dealing with Chicago traffic on a motorcycle. YMMV.

Thanks for the info Mitch. I am also contemplating going up to the Mackinaw bridge and across the UP. I have the winter to kick around what I will do.

Swinging by Tallman's then Greiffster's place, heading west until I hit The Great River Road, then taking a right.

Well then, you will be coming right by my place (give or take 50 miles) so maybe you would pick me up as well????? :wave:

The GRR just north of St. Louis on the IL side has some nice views.

How are you getting to the UN?...

I am particularly interested in how to avoid Chicago coming from the east....John

On my northern route home from the 2010 UnRally (Lake Topaz, NV) I avoided Chicago by going over the Mackinaw Bridge. I enjoyed the experience of riding over the bridge on a very cold and windy day. However, the ride/route from Green Bay up over Lake Michigan down to my next stop in Detroit would not be something I would look forward to doing again.

I plan on departing DC on Saturday with first stop in Ohio (visit with 94 year old mother-in-law). My hope is that riding south of Chicago on Sunday and up to Warren will not present any traffic problems.

I like arriving in a new riding area the day before a BMWST event. This gives me time to generate a riding story to lie about the very first day in the parking lot! :grin:

Swinging by Tallman's then Greiffster's place, heading west until I hit The Great River Road, then taking a right.

Well then, you will be coming right by my place (give or take 50 miles) so maybe you would pick me up as well????? :wave:

I'll bring the boys, you show the way...

All right, a mini Pied Piper run!

Great fun.

I'll bring the boys, you show the way...

How are you getting to the UN? Can we use this thread so people can put up their planned route? Possibly folks can meet along the way for all or part of the trip. We could also offer tips on certain areas. I am particularly interested in how to avoid Chicago coming from the east. Mods please feel free to move of change this for best results.

Ride well.

John

There are a few options, including heading north to Michigan and taking one of the Michigan-Wisconsin ferries that Mitch talks about elsewhere. If you're planning to travel via interstate, I'd recommend that you stay on I-80 West (which skirts Chicago to the south) until you get to I-355 North. This will permit you to jump on to I-39 North/I-90 West near Rockford, IL, which will get you to Wisconsin, where you can decide the best route.

I-80 is busy as it skirts the Metro Chicago area, but this is probably the most efficient way to avoid the worst of Chicago's traffic congestion if you want to travel via interstate highways.

I-80 is busy as it skirts the Metro Chicago area, but this is probably the most efficient way to avoid the worst of Chicago's traffic congestion if you want to travel via interstate highways.

Indeed. The Stevenson, The Dan Ryan, and The Eisenhower are all reasons I get the heck out of Dodge.

In our RV. Heading north to Vancouver and then across Canada, via Saskatoon for a visit to where the RV was made. Then to Winnipeg and down to the UN. Return home via the Badlands.

Check out this link regarding what you need to know about entering Canada. You most likely need a passport to get back into the U.S., but you'll want to confirm that: http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ivc-rnc-eng.html

Check out this link regarding what you need to know about entering Canada. You most likely need a passport to get back into the U.S., but you'll want to confirm that: http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ivc-rnc-eng.html

Thanks. We have passports. Gonna look for a book of campgrounds or rv parks. We have a Sprinter van conversion so we don't need much room. Want to head toward Banff and then we will mostly be on Canada 1 except where we head north to Saskatoon.

Indeed. The Stevenson, The Dan Ryan, and The Eisenhower are all reasons I get the heck out of Dodge.

Perhaps you are confused as to the location of "Dodge"? :grin::wave::thumbsup:

This is starting to resemble a plan.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Anybody coming over the UP might be interested in stopping by Doc's Classic Car & Cycle Musem in Bonduel, Wisconsin - not far from Green Bay. I can't tell from their website, and I haven't called them yet, but according to some news articles I've read, I think Roadog might be on display there.

Apparently, there was more than one Roadog, though the original apparently is owned by the owner of Doc's Museum.

This version is in Iowa, at the National Motorcycle Museum.

national-motorcycle-museum.jpg

Apparently had quite a few miles on it, probably looking for a place to turn around.

....I think Roadog might be on display there.

Motorcycles seem to be almost always modified by their owners. Roadog is the strangest I have seen in the USA!

In the early 70's I saw some very unusual cycles in the Philippines - wish I could find some of the pictures I took of them back then. :(

Been trying to figure out a way to get there without having to cross Kansas or Nebraska. I don't have much space in my heart for crosswinds.

It's been suggested to me that I go way up north through Yellowstone, then pick up I-90 to I-94.

I'm also considering I-40 to OKC, then 44/49 to KC, 35 to Des Moines, slide over to Cedar Rapids to visit friends, and then wobble my way to Wisconsin.

North or South is gonna cost me an extra 250 miles over the 1950 of the most expedient (and windiest) route, so I'll have three 700 milers to get there. Probably more like a 900 miler and two 600's, so a 15-hour day and a couple of elevens. On the road at 5A and finished at 8P, 4P and 4P. Not so sure about that first day, so I'm putting an extra day in the sched, just in case I'm older than I think I am.

Not particularly into sightseeing, so if anyone along that path wants to hook up and just "make miles" I'm OK with one more, but no guarantees about stopping. I've got a Russell Saddle and a bladder like a tanker (jk). But I do take "making miles" somewhat to heart.

Ultimately, though, it'll probably come down to weather.

It's been suggested to me that I go way up north through Yellowstone, then pick up I-90 to I-94.

What we did for Lancaster, NH.

Coming from this a way (and your way), you can also pick up Lolo and Hells Canyon, and there are some not too shabby routes on your way to that. Also, of course, you get the Beartooth and Bighorns on your way out of Yellowstone. As well, you can pick up the Black Hills, if you like. From there on, super slab....

The major alternative for you, in my mind, would be to work your way through UT and CO, then up to the Black Hills and 90.

If you've never ridden from Baggs, CO to Laramie, WY on 70 and 130, this would be a fine opportunity.

A first pass at an idea:

Map

On my way back from Seattle, WA a couple of years ago I picked up that same route from Missoula through Wisconsin. I would do it again if I had the opportunity - great roads, lots to see and still moved along quickly. :thumbsup:

Joe Frickin' Friday
A first pass at an idea:

Map

Not much to be done about the SD/MN stretch, but I'll put together some "final approach paths" for people who want something interesting for the final 150-200 miles to Warrens. Will include these with the route package later this spring.

A first pass at an idea:

Map

Not much to be done about the SD/MN stretch, but I'll put together some "final approach paths" for people who want something interesting for the final 150-200 miles to Warrens. Will include these with the route package later this spring.

Excellent!

Been trying to figure out a way to get there without having to cross Kansas or Nebraska. I don't have much space in my heart for crosswinds.

I'm also considering I-40 to OKC, then 44/49 to KC, 35 to Des Moines, slide over to Cedar Rapids to visit friends, and then wobble my way to Wisconsin.

North or South is gonna cost me an extra 250 miles over the 1950 of the most expedient (and windiest) route, so I'll have three 700 milers to get there. Probably more like a 900 miler and two 650's, so a 15-hour day and a couple of elevens. On the road at 5A and finished at 8P, 4P and 4P. Not so sure about that first day, so I'm putting an extra day in the sched, just in case I'm older than I think I am.

Not particularly into sightseeing, so if anyone along that path wants to hook up and just "make miles" I'm OK with one more, but no guarantees about stopping. I've got a bladder like a tanker and a Russell Saddle.

Ultimately, though, it'll probably come down to weather.

This is what I'd do, besides I heard it was a misdemeanor to cross the U.S. diagonally and purposely avoid Colorado. At the very least bad form. :)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zXhGKdiASGig.kmtOsgkUFTJk

Four nice roads (Az 163-Monument Valley, Ut 46, Co 131 and 14) and one exceptional one (Co 141).

1st night Blanding, 2nd Pine Bluffs or Ogallala, 3rd Ia/Wi border?

Just a thought...

btw 141 is the only one that brings the average speed down a little but well worth it.

J

A first pass at an idea:

Map

If you haven't been through the Tetons and/or Yellowstone it would be a shame not to since it's so close to your route.

Doug

• 2 months later...

Ottawa then North of the Lakes through Ontario on Hwy 17 (Trans Canada), across the Upper Peninsula and down into Wisc.

Anyone familiar with the route? Pros? Cons?

Anyone care to share the ride?

Joe Frickin' Friday
Ottawa then North of the Lakes through Ontario on Hwy 17 (Trans Canada), across the Upper Peninsula and down into Wisc.

My limited experience with the UP is that there aren't many twisty roads (except may be way up in the Keewenaw Peninsula), but there are a number of scenic ones.

I have some GPS approach routes (and a whole buffet of other info) cooked up for folks, including one for anyone coming in through Sault Ste Marie. Watch for the routes file to be posted by the end of April.

Hi Tom, I live in central Ontario and have both biked and caged through parts of your beautiful state so suggesting interesting routes to someone from that area falls into a "Coals to Newcastle" category. But I'm given to stick my neck out :rofl:

Commenting on your intended route to Sault Ste. Marie (The Soo) via Trans Canada Hwy 17 in ON I would categorize that route as a commute that includes mostly wide open countryside to Ottawa and closing in somewhat as you continue on to The Soo via mostly straight roads including slab work through Ottawa, North Bay and bypassing Sudbury. In my view, it's not a particularly interesting route but it's direct and perhaps that's what you want - one very long day to reach U.S. terra firma at The Soo. I tend not to ride long days so I would consider Burlington to The Soo having an overnight component.

As an alternative, and you'll definitely need an overnighter to pull this off (we can provide accommodations if you get this far on your first day): Cross into Canada via the Thousand Islands bridge and cross back into the States at Sarnia, ON but via more interesting and intimate secondary roads running north before continuing West. Once across the border at Sarnia continue West across MI to Muskegon and take the ferry to WI. Mitch has posted a ride report on this board which includes this ferry crossing. I can detail suggestions for this alternate ON routing if it at all sounds feasible/interesting.

Paul,

Thanks for the input. I guess those straight lines and right angle intersections on the map are not lying. Main advantage over the route selected by Mr. Garmin is to avoid Buffalo, Cleveland and Chicago.

I 'm considering a route through Sarnia for the way home taking the Macinak bridge rather than the ferry. Just have to avoid Toronto. Would appreciate any further advice.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I suppose my concern over your intended route was to find another, while maybe longer in travel time, would ease your shell shock as you transitioned from Vermont mountains to the more exposed topography we flat landers live in :rofl:

AT my end, I'm easing into retirement but still have two summer peak activity businesses to tend to which makes it difficult dedicate time to ride out to events like the UnRally. In fact, I've only managed to ride ~1,500 km over the last two summers and rising insurance rates sure has me rethinking keeping the RT. But, that doesn't curtail my interest in the biking community and especially continuing to be part of BMWST as I've received over the years a lot of support here. In some small way I'd like to give back to this great community. And so...

,,,It is possible to stay South on a run to Sarnia and glance off Toronto by taking 407 which is Ontario's only toll road. The con of that of course is the toll but the pro side is, except at rush hour, that multi lane hwy is quiet and toll taking is by camera so no stopping. The 401 across Toronto is rush hour all day long and in my mind no place for a motorcycle - not that you don't see them there.

It would be helpful to have a better understanding of your time lines as far as travel time to and from the UnRally to make detailed route suggestions as well as an idea of interests you might have as far as things you might like to see enroute and whether that is from the saddle or taking some time to stop. It looks like the planners for this event have a full pallet of fascinating rides (where's the drool emoticon?) so expediency to and from the UnR might be more in order. BTW, I like your tentative loop. If I were going I'd follow the same basic route.

With this in mind, would you like to continue this conversation via this thread, pm or direct email? I'm easy either way.

Wow! I just clicked on the map I had posted a while back, and whatever happened in Google Map's last revision seems to have wiped out most of it. It was running up through Hells Canyon and on to Lolo, into Yellowstone and over Beartooth, etc. Crazyness!

markgoodrich

I've been studying the techniques used by Sturgis attendees, and Suzanne and I are going to pull the K on the trailer to just outside the Yogi whatsit, unload, hide the car and trailer behind a gas station, throw some dirt on our suits, and ride to the hotel. So long as it's not more than two miles to the hotel.

Oh, you think that's a sissy way to do it? YOU ride your stinking motorcycle across north Texas, OK, IA, MO, prolly some KS, and all the flat part of WI and see how YOU like it, Smarty Pants. If Dennis and Laney Andress can trailer their bikes, why, then so can I! So there!

John Ranalletta
Been playing around with the possiblities, and I'm kind of leaning toward this route, to and from. 2250mi out and 2150 back.

That southern route is a killer. Lots of open, dry and potentially blazing hot miles. We came across the panhandle a few years ago in 100+ deg temps. Thought the trip would never end and we were in the car.

Been playing around with the possiblities, and I'm kind of leaning toward this route, to and from. 2250mi out and 2150 back.

That southern route is a killer. Lots of open, dry and potentially blazing hot miles. We came across the panhandle a few years ago in 100+ deg temps. Thought the trip would never end and we were in the car.

I checked the average temps in June, and they're in the low 90's in some spots. Still, that's just an average. So I've been considering jumping up a little higher and heading toward Colorado, then taking one of my favorite rides from CO to Torrey, and then back to SoCal.

I may have to plan it both ways, and see what the weather forecasts are the day before I leave. I don't like slab, but I can do it if the option is boring 55mph two-lane. Still working on it.

beemerboy
.....Oh, you think that's a sissy way to do it? YOU ride your stinking motorcycle across north Texas, OK, IA, MO, prolly some KS, and all the flat part of WI and see how YOU like it, Smarty Pants. If Dennis and Laney Andress can trailer their bikes, why, then so can I! So there!

A little sensitive, huh? Chill out Mark, you're just turning into one of those RUBS (rich urban bikers) :/

Archived