IGNORED

Machineartmoto and Maier Mudguard Comparison.

Jim VonBaden

I am doing a MachineArtMoto (MAM) and Maier Rar Mud Guard Comparison.

In price, the MAM is $149: Link

The Maier is $61: Link

You may be able to find them a bit cheaper, but not much.

First, an off the bike, side by side look:

20141209_182115.jpg

20141209_182054.jpg

20141209_181702.jpg

The MAM is both longer and more precision molded, plus of thicker material.

Appearance wise the MAM is a bit ahead with the sharper lines and clean look, plus the logo, if you like that, painted on instead of a sticker. You pay for the quality appearance.

The Maier, on the other hand, has a slightly thinner material, rounder lines, and a removable sticker if you like no markings. Price is less than half the MAM.

Installed, the MAM:

MAMMudGuard65.jpg

MAMMudGuard57.jpg

MAMMudGuard55.jpg

MAMMudGuard47.jpg

Note, if installed with some luggage systems, in this case Jesse, the MAM and Maier will fit, but be slightly offset causing the MAM to touch the lower forward swingarm.

MAMMudGuard58.jpg

Installed MAIER (shown installed on the GSAw, but later transferred to a GSw:

MaierMudGuard29.jpg

MaierMudGuard26.jpg

MaierMudGuard12.jpg

No clearance issues:

MaierMudGuard7.jpg

So, how do they work?

MAM on a 2015 R1200GSAw with low miles and some salt and a tiny bit of dirt riding:

SaltonBikes7.jpg

SaltonBikes4.jpg

Notice the shock and components forward of the MAM are pretty clean.

The Maier:

SaltonBikes1.jpg

Same thing.

In case you think I am overselling the Maier, this was the back of the bike:

SaltonBikes8.jpg

More testing, in muddier conditions, to follow. Feel free to show us what you have.

Jim :Cool:

• 1 month later...

Have the Maier rear mud guard and it works GREAT! BUT .... have the MAM fender extender and it is far better than the other front fender extenders out there. More protection and a great mounting system!

094_zpstwg0ee0g.jpg

Jim VonBaden
Have the Maier rear mud guard and it works GREAT! BUT .... have the MAM fender extender and it is far better than the other front fender extenders out there. More protection and a great mounting system!

094_zpstwg0ee0g.jpg

I can't argue with that! Price aside, it is the better init.

Jim :Cool:

While the MAM is a great unit,I would argue that the Fenda Extenda Uber provides similar protection at less than half the cost.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/pyramid-plastics-uber-fenda-extenda-fender-extender-for-bmw-r1200gs-lc-13

I do like the no drill mounting of the MAM and I do use their cylinder guards.

I used 3M automotive trim tape to fasten the Uber,as recommended by JVB,for a clean,no drill look.

The plastic rivets that come with the Uber are small and unobtrusive appearing,if anyone desires to mount it that way.

I went with Maier rear splashguard,Fenda Extenda Uber front guard on my 14 GSA

JR356

$80 for a no-drill solution with good coverage? A no-brainer for me -- no holes and no pointy self-tapping screws sticking out to rub my hand against when reaching under the fender.

IMO, not an outrageous amount of money for a product that clearly has more thought and quality in it than its competitors.

FWIW, I did try the adhesive/plastic weld chemical route with a fender extender once to see whether I could avoid having to use the screws -- lost it within a few days.

Personally, I don't like the look of the MAM Avant for the GSLC.

Over-styled for my minds eye. I don't like the wings... makes me think of ... well, I don't like it.

I do like the Avant they make for the 2014 and up R1200RTLC.

It's simpler in style and attaches in the same clean and easy manner. Easier I guess. From the pics I see here the GSLC Avant uses 3 screws, the Avant for the RTLC uses 2.

The folks at MAM were nice enough to bundle one of their MudSling for my GSLC along with an Avant for my 2014 RT for the usual bundle price. Received it promptly, nice stuff for sure.

(Free shipping till the 15th too)

I'll put either the Uber Extenda or the Maier Extender on the front of my GSLC. Either will do just fine.

FWIW... I've used JB Weld to affix front fender extenders on at least 5 bikes over the years. 2 V-Stroms, 1 GS, 1 GSA, 1 RT.

For me, 3 steps

1. Rough up each contact surface thoroughly with medium to coarse sandpaper.

2. Clean the prepared surfaces with a quality wax and grease remover/solvent.

3. After JBWELDING, let it set up 2 days. Clamped, and with a rag in between the tire and fender to keep the surfaces together.

Never a failure... no screws, no tape.

d'milan

$80 for a no-drill solution with good coverage? A no-brainer for me -- no holes and no pointy self-tapping screws sticking out to rub my hand against when reaching under the fender.

IMO, not an outrageous amount of money for a product that clearly has more thought and quality in it than its competitors.

FWIW, I did try the adhesive/plastic weld chemical route with a fender extender once to see whether I could avoid having to use the screws -- lost it within a few days.

Yep ... agree! The MAM is (IMHO) nicer looking and provides better coverage. Yes I have had Pyramid on other bikes and on my '06 RT. When I had to replace the black part of the front fender I went with MAM. They had a Christmas Sale at something like 25% off and free shipping. Have them on both the RT and GSA and am very happy!! Sometimes you do get what you pay for ... the fit was perfect and instructions were clear and helpful. Don't get me wrong the Pyramid is fine for the price and does an OK job. But for the extender the MAM is just better.

In the rear I went with the Maier as my dealer gave me a great deal and had it in stock. Fit fine and works well as Jim noted.

Archived