IGNORED

Camhead Switch Recall?

kltk165

Call your dealer, you can get both L & R switches replaced under the recall.

Something to do with the micro boards absorbing the heat and causing shorting, I believe.

• 1 month later...

I had my 2012 at the dealer last Thursday, both switches were replaced. The left switch had already been replaced at 10,000kms (horn switch failure), last summer the starter switch hesitated to engage the starter twice.

• 5 months later...

I have a 2010 and just had both left and right side replaced today. I like the new switches more solid click especially the turn signals, the original switches were mushy and no way of knowing if there was actual engagement.

I have a 2010 and just had both left and right side replaced today. I like the new switches more solid click especially the turn signals, the original switches were mushy and no way of knowing if there was actual engagement.

The positive click is the big difference between the old and new switches. I got in the habit of checking that the turn signal actually came on when I used it, sometimes it didn't. Now I am slowly getting to trust the switch.

Frank

What bikes are covered under this "recall" I am picking up a 2013 R1200R next week and if this needs to be worked on I will contact the dealer and have it done before I pick it up.

Thanks

Roger L

I could be wrong, but, I think this only effects the '10-'13 RT models as the GS and R shared the same controls in that time period and didn't have the issue. I think.

What bikes are covered under this "recall" I am picking up a 2013 R1200R next week and if this needs to be worked on I will contact the dealer and have it done before I pick it up.

Thanks

Roger L

I would go to your dealer and give him your VIN # and he can tell you, that is what I did.

Don_Eilenberger
I contacted the dealer and he said that this was only a problem with the RT. There are different switches on the R.

Thanks

Roger L

The dealer is absolutely correct. Besides retaining the fuel strip that commonly fails - the R1200R cam/hex-heads never got the new Japanese style switches that seem to fail a lot. They continued using the traditional BMW style switch gear. That makes up a lot for the fuel strip failures.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone with a 2011 actually had their's replaced under this campaign? My dealer says it doesn't apply.....

i bought a 2011 the dealer was selling under consignment and before i picked it up they replaced the switches for me under the campaign

• 2 weeks later...
Peter Horrocks

I had a telephone conversation with BMW here in the UK and they still say no problems with the switches, so no, they will not replace them!

Guest Kakugo
I had a telephone conversation with BMW here in the UK and they still say no problems with the switches, so no, they will not replace them!

Yes, I know the feeling. BMW in Europe won't move until grabbed by their special place.

Ask the good folks here to get from their US dealerships a copy of the BMW memo about the ongoing switch replacements under warranty. There's bound to be some written record.

Failing that ask someone here to give you a copy of the maintenance records for a recent switch replacement. The more of these records you can get, the better.

Then email a scan of that memo/record to the local BMW subsidiary asking them why customers whose money is as good both sides of the Atlantic get treated so differently. It usually works since it means you caught them red-handed.

If they still play dumb, start emailing the scan around to motorcycle and consumer magazines. Some of them won't do anything for fear of losing ad money, but the rest is always interested in a good story like this.

One important thing: keep records of everything. Emails are better because they are effectively written records. If you use the phone, keep tab of date, hour, number called and exactly whom you spoke to.

Once they see you mean business, they'll concede.

• 2 months later...
Sam Rowland
Is there a available database where I could input my VIN for a '12 to determine if this recall includes me?

Also, I have my motorcycle serviced at a different dealerships than where I purchased it. Should that make any difference concerning the recall.

I have yet to experience any problems with mine, riding in all conditions, approx 25k per year.

Thanks,

Tony Van Der Voorn

Wichita, KS

If you go here http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html and scroll down to the bottom of the page there is a link there titled "safety recalls" if you click there it opens a page where you put in your VIN number and it will list any "recalls"....But this switch problem/fix isn't considered a "safely recall" so I don't think it will be on there...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived