IGNORED

2014 RT Fuel Filler

hefy_jefy

The bike is near perfect so you start to notice the silly things. Anybody that lives in CA must have noticed that its almost impossible to get the silly rubber shroud thing to fit under the open filler cap. There's a simple answer I know but you would have thought that a bike marketed for the US (which means CA) would have taken this into account.

Or is there a secret trick I am missing?

Geoff

Those rubber boots were a pain in the neck. Before they got rid of them here in NY the only way it worked easily was to squeeze the boot up with one hand and slide the nozzle in with the other.

It's something you'll get used to without the gizmo thing.

I will caution that you need to avoid putting excess pressure on the cap against its hinges with the nozzle.

On all the previous generations, in time the cap will snap off at the hinge point. I used to keep a gas cap assembly in stock as we would sell one every 5-6 months or so to people who broke one on a trip in our area or locally.

No, it's not a warranty item.

Since you are in Cali there is a supplier that sells a similar item called a Nozzle Buddy for 10 bucks shipping included. They are made in San Jose.

http://www.millproprecisionmachining.com/product/NZLBDY-200

The local Model A club bought a bunch of them from me a couple years ago as they had been struggling with that due to the location of the fuel filler.

Agree with all here, and yes I can see that it would not be hard to break the fuel cap. The plastic thingy from SJ looks like a good idea. Just seems odd that the folks at BMW didn't spot this.

It would also be an item that the after-market crowd could make a buck on....

I can't recall if they have the rubber boot things in Europe/UK?

Geoff

Switzerland used to have those pumps but ended up ditching them after a short while because they were more trouble than anything for all parts involved (among other things they are quite maintenance intensive).

Back when they were in use we used to keep the rubber boot pushed all the way back before filling up. Some service stations even provided disposable gloves for the job.

Wasn't exactly handy but worked.

Cali has had them for oh, a couple decades now, so it's not a new thing. You live with it.

I can't imagine a new bike having any more of a "sticky outey" gas cap underside than my '99 has.

You just stick the nozzle in, fill her up til she clicks then that's it. I seldom pull the boot back to light last bar on my guage.

To the OP, topping off isn't good unless your going to continue riding. If you top off then let the bike sit in the sun or your garage, you run the risk of the fuel expanding and fouling your charcoal canister.

(Same as any other Calif bike you've had)

CoarsegoldKid
Anybody that lives in CA must have noticed that its almost impossible to get the silly rubber shroud thing to fit under the open filler cap.

Yeah, that foreskin is a problem. Especially when the pump pressure is high. When filling my KTM690 I must completely negate whatever pollution controlling ability it has just to get the fuel in the tank. I'm really surprised CARB hasn't come down. Never mind.

• 2 weeks later...

10:00? I'll give it a try next time...

I know there are various solutions and that BMWs are not the only bikes that have a problem. I return to my original comments:

1. Surprised BMW didn't think about it especially as it seems the 2014RT isn't the first to have the problem.

2. Wunderlich, Ilium etc. could probably charge $500 for a beautiful replacement cap/filler and folks would buy one.

Geoff

Archived