IGNORED

Right Handlebar Switch Replacement - R1150RT

MarkAZ

I want to replace the right handlebar switch set on my 2004 R1150RT to fix a broken kill switch. I have a replacement unit and see how to get it off & on the handlebar but can't see where the connector connects. I've traced the wire a ways but don't see the connector end. Before I start removing panels can someone tell me where it goes? Is it there kind of behind where the left speaker goes? The Clymer instructions are somewhat less than clear...they tell you to remove just about all the plastic, windshield, headlight, etc. Hopefully I can access the connector without all that. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

The harness goes from the right grip to the nose fairing, via the center subframe strut, over to the right along the nose subframe, up to two plugs:

R1150RTrightswitchclusterharness_zpse6e4f571.jpg

The two plugs to be removed are the ones pointing down in this drawing, just under the rubber grommet that receives the nose fairing's mounting stud:

R1150RTrightswitchclusterharness2_zpsfcb5d268.jpg

A lot of zip-tie cutting. In theory, if someone else hasn't rearranged things in there, you can reach in and disconnect the plugs, then draw the harnesses out. If you have speakers, its more of a pita to reach around the housings. You may want to consider removing the windshield, dash and dash cover so you can remove the nose fairing fasteners to allow you move the nose forward a few inches to get your hand down to the plugs from the front.

Thanks for the info. It's exactly what I needed. The drawings are really cool. I was able to reach the plug (the '04 has only one plug) from under the front and disconnect it. It's pretty tight in there but I was able to clip & remove all the zip ties and pull out the cable. Re-install was pretty straightforward...the biggest challenge was replacing all the zip ties. I REALLY didn't want to remove all the stuff in the way and luckily didn't have to. Whole job took about an hour.

The broken kill switch was the only flaw on the bike so now it's perfect. :grin:

Thanks again...this is a great group!

Archived