IGNORED

BMW to Harley, Why?

dhanson

Of course, you have to watch out for all of the 4,000# snowbirds this time of year. :eek:

Stinking Michiganders and Ohians...

Hey, Matt, don't forget all the folks from north of the border who still haven't converted from KPH to MPH. Oy!!!

That's because we converted decades ago -- from MPH to KPH (in 1977, if I recall correctly).

And we never did.

But, when you drive on US roads, you need to drive faster to make that 45 KPH you're used to move up to 45 MPH(72 kph) that's posted on the signs, not the 28 MPH it equals. Otherwise, you'll miss those early-birds specials. :rofl:

Wait, weren't we trashing Harleys here?

Wow! Now that's cool!

At the Barber Festival last October, Craig V. (from Mississippi) had an R75 & sidecar. Of course it had a machine gun mounted on the side car. It was refreshingly not PC.

Bob

DSCN1192_zps537082fe.jpg

Wow! Now that's cool!

At the Barber Festival last October, Craig V. (from Mississippi) had an R75 & sidecar. Of course it had a machine gun mounted on the side car. It was refreshingly not PC.

Bob

DSCN1192_zps537082fe.jpg

Forget the machine gun... how about the Waffen-SS plates? As not PC as it gets! ;)

On my HD WLA, there is a Thompson submachinegun mounted in a scabbard on the right side of the fork. It gets some looks when I take it for a ride around the neighborhood.

On my HD WLA, there is a Thompson submachinegun mounted in a scabbard on the right side of the fork. It gets some looks when I take it for a ride around the neighborhood.

A real one? They're about as fun as you'd imagine to shoot.

• 2 months later...
Fred J Cole

I've also just come full circle, Started back in the 80s on a 650 BMW have gone thru Hondas, Kaw, Yamaha FJR1300 (Great Bike) and most recently 2 HD RoadGlide Ultras, I traded my '13 in on a 2015 RT. My wife comes along now and again and was definitely more comfortable on the R'Glide than the RT - Just more room. But I use my bike for commuting and put a lot of city miles on a bike. I just wasn't happy on the HD, I drank the cool-aid, bought multiple t-shirts, gave it 5 years but after coming back to BMW and a 1000 miles on the RT .... I'm HAPPY. This is a better bike than the FJR and up to now that's been my bar.

Does anybody know if I can buy a passenger cupholder for this bike?

During this winter season in S. IL I've noticed that if the weather warms up a little and the sun is shining, more HD's are on the road than other bikes. In fact, some days it is only HD's on the road.

I really don't care what others choose to ride. If they are happy then they have the right bike for them.

I'm smiling every time I am on the V650. It's a much different ride than the RT's I've owned.

142792447325.jpg

I'm encouraged by the good natured banter here. Perhaps because we know each other that it hasn't turned into an ugly flame war?

I think that sales numbers aside, many BMW riders have to make the ride an event. We don't often just toss on a jacket and helmet and ride to home depot for a box of screws or something. We tend to make it much more about being able to do a couple hundred miles if we're going to bother starting the bike up.

Just illustrating that not all BMW riders fit in the same bucket. Same with HD riders.

I didn't mean what I said pejoratively, I get that folks have a different reason to ride. I also know that a lot of our ATGATT brethren I have met here on the board won't bother to ride someplace close by because it's not worth the time to suit up to ride for 10 minutes to the grocery store.

Mine's quiet. And I'm not dressing up like a pirate, either. The bike's fine, but the "lifestyle" crap is not for me.

-MKL

Same here.. No loud pipes, no pirate suit. The bike is fun as hell, gets more compliments and ride requests than any of my other bikes.. Also it is a relaxing ride... you can go for hours.. no DAYS on it with no sore butt and no ibuprophen. I got 13000 miles out of a set of tires, and I did that 13000 miles in about 15 weeks last summer..

I have always loved Harleys, but did not get one until I turned 40, always having RT's, sportbikes, and other marques..

The HD is nice bike, as are the BMW's..

I think that sales numbers aside, many BMW riders have to make the ride an event. We don't often just toss on a jacket and helmet and ride to home depot for a box of screws or something. We tend to make it much more about being able to do a couple hundred miles if we're going to bother starting the bike up.

I ride to the home depot 50 backroad miles away for a box of screws. That makes it worth starting up :)

I just went from a Harley Road Glide to a 2015 RT. The reason was because of the weight mostly. I've had a few HD's and a few BMW's. I'm not a fast rider (anymore) and had the RG set up with Ohlin's shocks, upgraded brakes and motor, custom seat etc. It cost a lot to get it comfortable but is was a great ride. Just got tired of the weight and noise. Now the new RT is fast quiet and comfortable and it cost about the same as a stock HD without a few thousand dollars to get it right. Now my GF has a 2014 HD Switchback and she rides the hell out of it, so I still have access to a HD.

I went from 30 years of Harley's to a BMW and then back to HD again. I liked the R1200rt a lot but it really didn't suit my style of riding for the most part. I have to coast my bike down the driveway to get to ride alone and the rt just isn't designed for 2 up the way a dresser is. The speed, handling, weight and overall feel of the BMW was superior to any of the HD bikes. And it actually had brakes; now there's a concept Harley ought to look into. The drawbacks that I found to the BMW were primarily maintenance and the lack of a dealership network. There's a BMW dealership in Grand Rapids that's excellent but is 150 miles away, so if you need anything it's a trip to go get it before you start tearing the plastic off your bike. An oil change on a Harley means a trip to most any auto parts store. I find both to be excellent bikes and have nothing against either of them. In fact, when the wife doesn't want to go on the long trips anymore, I'll get another BMW. But I'll keep my Harley.It may be slow but it has a soul that the BMW lacked.

I've never owned a HD, but you can do the maintenance yourself on a boxer. It is more than you would have to do on a HD though, I agree. Then there is the potential cost with out of warranty repairs. With HD, there are a lot more options and more affordable as well. The pay back is supposed to be a superior motorcycle.

I've logged a few hundred miles on my new 2015 Harley Electra Glide Police. I also own a 2009 Harley Electra Glide. I turned in my 2007 RTP1200. I cannot believe the difference between the two Harleys. I cannot believe how rock solid the new HD is at high speeds. I chased down a few speeders and found it incredibly smooth at speeds higher than I thought I was going (lights/sirens). It's also much more comfortable than my 2009 E.G. It's not as "quick" as my BMW was, but it's plenty fast enough. I've never used the top end 130 mph of the BMW (speed caps and my desire to see my wife and kids at the end of my shift). I find the new HD is closer to my old BMW than my 2009 HD Electra Glide in the feel of the ride. I am very curious to know what they did differently in the new 2015 HD??

I've logged a few hundred miles on my new 2015 Harley Electra Glide Police. I also own a 2009 Harley Electra Glide.

I am very curious to know what they did differently in the new 2015 HD??

I haven't followed Harley's recent upgrades all that much but, what I understand is, the 103 motor and the upgraded camshaft makes the new touring bikes run very well. :thumbsup:

Pat

If they could loose the rear air shocks for a nice set of Ohlins shocks, get the liquid cooling on it and add about 20 to 25 hp and I'd be happy.

It exists and it's called a Victory. Well, sort of. There is the twin cooled engine on the Limited, but I don't know if they want to put that on the police bike. I think it makes a little more power than the 103 HO in your police bike.

The new RT-P LC would be a good bike no? Probably better than the old RT too. I'll have to test ride the HD some time. I've ridden a 2010 ultra and it was just ok, it had a 96 engine. I imagine the new ones are a lot better.

I agree it would be a better bike, better performer than the Harley. The problem is the nearest dealer is 100 miles away, one direction. We have to use their service. It's a deal breaker, 200 mile round trip or 8 mile round trip for HD. Although the engine and hardware have been fantastic, their electrical system is overly complicated. Two broken wires in the harness set us back $1,500 for both, ABS failure $2,000 (add $500 for three abs sensors before pump went out), gas gauges (6 or 7's on one bike we just live with no gas gauge now) about $600 for ones past warranty, emergency lights on wires from replaced harness (brand new) has duct tape holding switch down b/c my flashing lights go off without me knowing it. Tape is better than driving the 200 miles to take it back to have it fixed right like it should have been the first time. Almost forget the siren box/driver and speaker. Two speakers went out, $300 and the siren box/driver went out. The siren is integrated with lights so when you loose one, you loose BOTH. When it goes, it's integrated into the cycle instead of every other police vehicle's stand alone (easy switch out by PD). They held onto my bike for weeks while they insisted on sending out old siren box to be repaired by "Code 3". Came back less one siren tone (2 instead of 3). I lived with it b/c.......you guessed it: too far to drive to get fixed!

The engine, drive train, suspension, brakes, etc have never let me down. PD was numb from sticker shock. Hope HD is better, if not a whole lot closer.

I don't post often but wanted to add my name to the list of "I go both ways!". I have a K12GT that I love to ride by myself for fun on the twisties. Plenty of power and very responsive. On the other hand, a long ride on the slab to see a stock car race or a baseball game will be taken on the Harley. It's very comfortable for a long ride and the new motor/chassis work extremely well. It just depends on what I'm feeling that day...and I gear-up the same no matter which bike I ride.

I don't post often but wanted to add my name to the list of "I go both ways!". I have a K12GT that I love to ride by myself for fun on the twisties. Plenty of power and very responsive. On the other hand, a long ride on the slab to see a stock car race or a baseball game will be taken on the Harley. It's very comfortable for a long ride and the new motor/chassis work extremely well. It just depends on what I'm feeling that day...and I gear-up the same no matter which bike I ride.

Excellent

This is a BMW site, We know pirates fall for hoglies to feel Big.

I had a Road-Kunk one summer trying to help the B-in law get his running to sell it..with only 13k miles.. + It eat the cam bearing.

I had 3 Beemers with 50k miles ea. and total maint was $1000 for all.

To annoy the Pi$$ out of people, why not a Vic with no muffler ?

I know 3 guys within 10 miles that had new harley's in the last 2 years, and 2 were left stranded out of state that won't run.

They are spending big $$$ trying to make them run like a Vic,

and I bet it will never happen.

Another opinion

http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.biz/beforeyoubuyharley.html

This is a BMW site, We know pirates fall for hoglies to feel Big.

I had a Road-Kunk one summer trying to help the B-in law get his running to sell it..with only 13k miles.. + It eat the cam bearing.

I had 3 Beemers with 50k miles ea. and total maint was $1000 for all.

To annoy the Pi$$ out of people, why not a Vic with no muffler ?

I know 3 guys within 10 miles that had new harley's in the last 2 years, and 2 were left stranded out of state that won't run.

They are spending big $$$ trying to make them run like a Vic,

and I bet it will never happen.

Another opinion

http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.biz/beforeyoubuyharley.html

And some people seemingly coax 100K miles out of the outdated "cement mixers". Then again, I have a friend that has 250K miles on his 2009 Vulcan Voyager. Take that Victory...Buy whatever turns your worm...

Yea there is no perfect bike, I like looking at them all like planes and other toys and mostly travel to see people, not toys.

Its the noise that imposes on people. I know places that are hard to live near as a popular ride.

Why isn't noise related to HP ?Some day in the future this will be fixed.

I never owned a forn car, Im born American German tool maker.

I did engineering for Polaris,planes,racing props,Helo's.

I can't take listening to a bad rattle trap clatter motor.

God is great, people are crazy

If it's farther than my bicycle will quickly take me, I'm on the R. The cage is only for child-included trips. :(

Interesting thread. Reading that link above, I realized I still have a couple of worn shoes from my last cam chain inspection on my 99 FXDX. I think that was like 2006.

I can still remember the time I rode in the local area after installing "Short Block Charlie's" modded heads and bored cylinders (96ci) with new pistons. I had also installed Andrews T37 cams, plus used larger CV carb.

What a pull it had in the mid range compared to stock (88ci), great ride! I can still feel those pumping vibes as I accelerated to 50 mph for cruise!

Some things you never forget.

• 3 weeks later...
Mmmm... If that were true, though, you wouldn't have so much cross-shopping. More Harley owners buy BMWs than any other brand. And more BMW owners buy Harleys than any other brand. Could be the similarities outweigh the differences - in the purchase decision, at least. Certainly not in functionality.

-MKL

Naw, actually dual ownership of this type works well.

A Harley is what you ride when you want to have breakfast in another city.

A BMW is what you ride when you want to have lunch in another state.

11079651_10206451583197115_8177239355639365479_n-L.jpg

a few days later

FullSizeRender-L.jpg

WOW!! They're mountains like that down there in the Keys?? I'm missin out... Stay away from those awards. Safe ride!

:wave:

Is that an Elvis statue on your tour pack? ;):grin: I see you've added a few bits since we last saw the RG, how you liking it? :thumbsup:

Pat

Is that an Elvis statue on your tour pack? ;):grin: I see you've added a few bits since we last saw the RG, how you liking it? :thumbsup:

Pat

No, it's just a statue behind the bike. Photographer needed a different angle, like this:

20150501_0918141_zpssboyfnek.jpg

(I have no idea who those people were, just happened to be there)

foundationapps

A psychology / medicine point of view of riding my 74 Shovel, 999S Ducati and my last machine, R1100RT (oldest one of them all).

Harley wrap-up. 74 Shovel, built right on an FL frame, front end off of a 36... meaning no brakes. Beautiful PMC rear brake setup, but we know what rear brakes are worth. This strange sensation if needing a drink every time I rode past a bar with a bunch of iron parked our front was un-nerving... brakes still didn't work. The quint essential Harley sound on that bike, the exact right one. Not a single female turned her head, I don't blame them, I used an F-16 helmet for a helmet :)

Ducati 999S. Very tricked out, used to prep 30 minutes to get on the thing in my garage near the Big Lost River. That thing at idle sounded better than an F-22 pushing up the throttles. 20 mile ride to Craters of the Moon for 3 miles of madness. After 3 corners, deep breathing, sweating, laser focused, hot knee pads from dragging asphalt and watching the lava cones along the side of the road and wondering what would happen to me if I blew the corner... at 155 mph, bought a house, sold the bike thinking I'd need a down payment... what I needed was a shrink for thinking like that. Perfect feedback, perfect control, perfect power,.. sore ass, back, and arms from the riding position, but who cares.

R1100RT: When I'm working on it, which isn't much, I swear colorfully in 4 languages, quietly, since I now live in apartments instead of my own house, people look at you funny when you swear in anything but English or Spanish. (no disrespect intended, but a couple of my neighbors give me the thumbs up for original content). But on the road...

Pure magic, recently put down 1200 miles from Fort Riley Kansas back to Idaho after making sure my son was healthy still from another combat deployment (combat infantryman, Sergeant, fire team leader). He is, and the bike was flawless as I flailed it's guts over 1200 miles evading a snowstorm at speeds greater than 90 mph most of the time. Only way to do it faster was to put in a Foley catheter with a down drain tube and strap on gas cans. Which I considered, both options.

BMWs are a heart and soul thing, it's like doing endurance horse riding, you've either got it, or you don't and there is no compromise.

Sorry for being wordy.

Respectfully

Archived