IGNORED

BMW to Harley, Why?

dhanson

So, for me it's like this; like many of you here I like to ride out in the country and doing so takes me near farms and on farms you often have tractors stored on the property. I like tractors and think they're pretty cool to look at. I wouldn't want to own one though.

LOL.. I must be lucky then. I have motorcycles AND tractors...several of each.

Some of them are even stored together in the same buildings. They get along with each other just fine....:thumbsup:

Apparently, there is something in the water (AZ) :rofl:

Different times. Different needs. Different riding styles. Loved and Hated mine equally. I think that's what they call character.

Be careful of what you wish for - you may get it :P

yellowstone%20002-L.jpg

I/we love traveling two up. In some ways I think my bike choices have been selfish. The work it takes for Mrs Whip and to a lessor extent me to get up and down/on and off the BMWs has caused us to not stop and smell the roses enough. The Goldwings and new Indians do not have enough leg room so I will be test riding the new Road Glide next week to compare it to my 2000 RG CVO. Mrs Whip did not like the 1600 GTL. One second on the back of a Ultra Limited and she was smiling.

I will report back in a couple weeks.

yellowstone%20002-L.jpg

...........One second on the back of a Ultra Limited and she was smiling. I will report back in a couple weeks.

001-green-acres-theredlist_zps5bc2683a.jpg

Owning 5 BMW's over the past 10 years has been great for the most part. I always said I would not buy a Harley until I was 50. But in the past year, I barely rode my GT, and when I did, the thrill was gone. Getting a major performance award in June sort of told me that I needed to think about what was next. For me I said, I wanted something to ride that I could smell the roses as Larry mentions above. I loved riding with some of you at a brisk pace but like all things, if you do not regularly practice, your skills go down.

When Indian came out with the Scout, I thought WHOO HOO! Finally a simple bike that I can ride around close at a modest pace and see the things I usually flew past. Heck I put a deposit down sight unseen. Too bad it was too small when I finally got to see it. From there I thought about the Chieftan and the Victory's as well. After riding them, I didn't feel they were worth the investment to me. I simply don't ride enough to warrant $27K for a luxury item.

My pool guy raved about his new Harly Road King and said I should go check them out. I agreed to go so the Mrs. and I stopped in one night and while it was cool looking, I didn't feel the love. As we were leaving we stopped at the used moto department and they had a 2013 FLS Slim with a Killer Mustang Seat and a wind screen. It looked about as close as the Scout as I was going to get but in a size that fit me. The price was well within my budget and it had minimal chrome (the previous owner had blacked it out) and stock pipes. To me it had the soul of a retro looking motorcycle that I was looking for.

Having ridden it about 500 miles, I love the ride. My wife likes the ride (we need a sissy bar still) and it has the range and comfort to take me to where I want to go. Nothing in the BMW family fits my needs so I went to Harley.

Joe Frickin' Friday
The work it takes for Mrs Whip and to a lessor extent me to get up and down/on and off the BMWs has caused us to not stop and smell the roses enough.

This is significant. when stopping/starting, it's already a hassle to doff/don gloves/helmet/earplugs. If someone's got mobility issues, dismounting from a high-saddled Beemer makes stops even more of a PITA. Getting a low-slung cruiser may allow such a rider to continue riding (or at least continue to enjoy riding) for a while longer. A super-rumbly engine and sluggish handling may not be ideal, but if the choice is between touring southern Utah on a cruiser or behind the wheel of an easy-access car (i.e. not a Corvette), waddyagonnado?

russell_bynum

In terms of the performance...that's far more about the rider than the bike anyway. When PhillyFlash and I did the Superbike School on Firebird's very tight track on our R1100RT's, we smoked more than a few kids on well-prepped sportbikes. And on rides out in Torrey and elsewhere, people riding solo K1200's and other "much faster" bikes got to watch Lisa and I (And Brian and Meghan, Gleno and Terri, Sean and Shelly, etc) disappear off over the horizon.

I recall one ride where Sean/Shelly, and Lisa and I blew through a pack of bmwst.comers on the way to Escalante. We stopped in Escalante for fuel and the group rolled in behind us. One guy came over an kept asking what mods I'd done to my bike. I started talking about PIAA lights and Big Mak tankbags...he cut me off and said "no...the engine...what have you modded on the engine?" I replied that it was bone stock...though I did run Bosch 4418 plugs. "But...I'm solo on a K1200RS and you're 2-up on an R1100RT and you went by me like I was going backwards."

:Cool:

I also remember running down some sportbike guys on a twisty road in AZ...on my DRZ400 on knobbies.

And the flipside of that...I've been riding my ass off only to have some guy (and occasionalyl girl) on a "slower" bike clean my clock. It happened so often at the track that it wasn't even funny.

And there's the story of that guy on the old airhead cleaning Sean Daly's clock (riding solo on his R1100RT) on the original Pied Piper run.

And yeah...I've come across some folks on cruisers who could ride the snot out of those things and put guys on "faster" bikes to shame.

So...no...a Harley ain't a sportbike...but with the right rider, it can still haul the mail. With most bikes, the bikes are so much more capable than the rider AND the road will allow, that there just isn't that much difference from one bike to the next.

And that assumes that you're looking for a "haul ass" bike in the first place.

"A super-rumbly engine and sluggish handling may not be ideal, but if the choice is between touring southern Utah on a cruiser or behind the wheel..."

I have been reading a lot about the improved handling/better engines and the "Rushmore Project".

If the new HD touring bikes have not improved dramatically from where my 2000 RG was I won't enjoy riding them and will not purchase one.

We will see next week.

L

Are you guys still around? I thought everyone but me had probably aged-out of motorcycling.

In response to the question posed in the title of the thread: as I've said before, Harleys make it fun to ride slow. My R1100RT never liked that.

And taking off on Joe Friday's post (and relating myself to my first sentence here) I am 68 now and I find myself having a mental crisis. I have been riding since 1970, probably around half a million miles, and (knock on lots of wood) have never been down but once, a minor spill on a rigid-framed Harley I built in Puerto Rico. It cost me no more than a scuff on my left forearm and a bruised knee. I am pushing the outer limits of the statistical envelope on injury, I think.

So looking at things rationally, not driven by some lurking, inchoate fear of damage to myself (although I do fear it for Sherrie, who rides with me a lot) I find myself asking if I shouldn't quit while I am ahead and make the switch to something fast and sexy but with four wheels. A Corvette of recent vintage comes to mind, and I know that I can still get out of one, albeit more slowly than once upon a time.

Pilgrim

As we were leaving we stopped at the used moto department and they had a 2013 FLS Slim with a Killer Mustang Seat and a wind screen. It looked about as close as the Scout as I was going to get but in a size that fit me. The price was well within my budget and it had minimal chrome (the previous owner had blacked it out) and stock pipes. To me it had the soul of a retro looking motorcycle that I was looking for.

The guy with whom I rode to Mexico has a Softail Slim and loves it. He puts down some serious mileage when we're on the road. He also does well in the turns. On the Mexico trip (4000 miles), he did not have a single problem with his bike. Although the Slim might not be exactly my cup of tea, it is a solid motorcycle. Good choice.

Bob

yellowstone%20002-L.jpg

...........One second on the back of a Ultra Limited and she was smiling. I will report back in a couple weeks.

001-green-acres-theredlist_zps5bc2683a.jpg

I don't care who you are, that's funny.

Seriously,though, I do understand, even if I can't fully relate. I probably have to admit that the only reason I might own one, or a Wing, is if the missus insisted on it as a condition of co-travel. However, she's decided that she no longer wants to ride, regardless of two-wheeled conveyance, so while I understand the passenger pressure for a two-up Barc, it's just up to me. And a capable sport touring bike is what makes my heart sing. I've lived long enough to never say never, but, uh, most likely not. Burgman when I'm 80? Perhaps. 900-lb. 60hp crotch massager? Doubtful. But never? Uh-uh.

fld-main.jpg

So this is my Switchback as it stands right now. And as a motorcyclist, if I tell you that it's functionally comparable to my former R1200RT, I'd be lying. It doesn't have the storage, the brakes, the handling, the acceleration, the ride, or any of the obviously in-depth engineering that went into the BMW design.

So you get on this "tractor" and your head starts howling about the tradeoffs.... And then a bunch of miles go by, and you starting smiling, and then a bunch more go by and.... You fall in love, and your heart sort of counterbalances your head.

So, a few points from someone who came from Harley to BMW, and now has gone full circle back again:

1) Remember the FACT that more BMW riders come from Harley than from any other brand, by far. These two cookies, while different flavors, attract the same customer in many cases, myself included.

2) You can make a Harley whatever you want, so long as you have imagination and money. However, after dumping 30% of the cost of the bike into accessories, it probably still won't be as functional as a stock BMW.

3) #2 doesn't matter after awhile, because of the emotional component. Your mind is initially wrapped up in how to modify the bike to fit you. In time, that changes to how to modify yourself to fit the bike. That's when it all comes together.

Slow down, stop rushing, look around, take in the sights and smells, and just enjoy the feel and sound of a big 'ol American V-Twin. There is something about it, and this cannot be denied.

Larry, the improvements in the "Rushmore" bikes are substantial, and you should not have any problem discerning them almost immediately. (Start by feeling the latching mechanism on the saddlebag!) A true FL is still too much of a minivan for a height-challenged solo rider like me, but my Switch FLD is fits me like a glove, and I'm very happy with it so far. I've got many mods left to do and many accessories still on the way, and it's really an enjoyable bike in its own right.

-MKL

Beats me.....but I guess I'm going to try and somewhat find out. I just made a deal on a little somethin somethin with a Harley engine in it this weekend. No pics or details until its in the garage, but its ugly, quirky, and LOUD. I also can't wipe the stupid grin off my face :grin:

I am specifically after the slow, rose smell, enjoy the stop AND the go, plus Jamie is a mandate.

I, too, put a deposit on an Indian Scout, sight unseen. I've now ridden the entire Indian line. I love the Scout, for what it is. All the others do not have the cockpit room I want.

Then, of yes, then Jamie and I went and rode the HD Ultra Limited. That was a mistake. It was everything we wanted. I could definitely do without the paint shaker idle but, other than that, wow.

We are still investigating and digesting. I want to ride a CVO Road Glide. I do also need to review the Victory line up. If all goes as it current is there may very well be a cruiser in the stable by Spring.

The Ultra is very competent. It is really a mind "twist" from my background and preconceived notions of what it would/should be. Still haven't quite wrapped my head all the way around it but I found the HD, and Indians, to be very composed, well handling machines that open up a completely different world with our world of motorcycling.

If you've ever ridden with me you know I don't tend to, well, smell roses. I have found that I love roses. Oh, and don't think that an HD is somehow an opportunity to claim bragging rights for hustling me through a canyon. Once I get acquainted properly, you may see a lot of fairing in your mirror and then a vtwin thrum pass you by.

russell_bynum
Beats me.....but I guess I'm going to try and somewhat find out. I just made a deal on a little somethin somethin with a Harley engine in it this weekend. No pics or details until its in the garage, but its ugly, quirky, and LOUD. I also can't wipe the stupid grin off my face :grin:

Sounds like a Buell.

:grin:

I dunno, Dave. I've also been giving a lot of thought to slowing down, and it's a hard thing to do. I have never considered going to a HD, although I must admit there's a million of them on road when I'm out, anywhere, but gadfry, I just can't drive 55. I think if I was to go the slow down route for sure, I might keep the GT, or I might go back to a Goldwing. For e, for touring, there are no better bikes than the GW, RT, or K16GT. The GW's -biggest failing is how stinking hot it is in the summer. We tried everything, and could never come up with a way to keep remotely cool.

We'll see this week, I guess, we're going to AR, and I've sworn a solemn oath to slow down and smell whatever they have to smell up there. So, Dave, you'll know I can or can't slow down by Friday. And if you show up on a Harley, I'm riding it. None of this KTM-you-can't-ride-it crap like at the UNrally.

I had a SuperGlide Custom that was a really fun bike for day rides. I like my RT very much for longer Tours but I'd look at another HD like a Road Glide in a minute.

A Corvette of recent vintage comes to mind, and I know that I can still get out of one, albeit more slowly than once upon a time.

I have a recent vintage Corvette (two, actually). Keep a bike around.

The Corvettes are fun, but you'll always have that desire to be on two wheels, even if it is less frequent with the Corvette around.

I dunno, Dave. I've also been giving a lot of thought to slowing down, and it's a hard thing to do.

We'll see this week, I guess, we're going to AR, and I've sworn a solemn oath to slow down and smell whatever they have to smell up there. So, Dave, you'll know I can or can't slow down by Friday. And if you show up on a Harley, I'm riding it. None of this KTM-you-can't-ride-it crap like at the UNrally.

You picked a nice time to slow down! LOL Yeah, I can go for slow, mainly to save energy and be more refreshed on arriving at destination. I can tell you from my recent dirt bike experience, if you slow down, you need to still "Pay Attention". I find it is easier to concentrate when pushing somewhat, so there is that.

What do you get when you combine the best traits of a Harley and those of a BMW?

Moto Guzzi

Bingo, one of my favorite hangouts is the wildguzzi.com forum. They know how to smell the roses on all kinds of bikes, plus they are gearheads for the most part. They have been fixing the bike themselves for ever.

I have been reading and trying to catch up on the HD thing. I came from the 99 FXDX to the K1200GT in 08.

I like the 26 degree rake of the RK, but everyone that has one hates the turbulence above 60-65mph. Plus it is heavy, I'm about lightweight now a days.

I like the SB like Moshe_levy shows. I also really like the little underpowered V7II coming in 2016.

V7%20II%20Scrambler.jpg_2000.jpg

mainguzzi.jpg

Yep. I've got one of them too. He's right - it's the best of BMW and Harley, rolled into one. On paper, it's an underpowered, archaic tractor. In reality, it's the most fun bike I've ever ridden. If you don't fall in love with the sound and feel of a Guzzi twin within 1 mile, I suspect you are emotionally dead.

Drawback? Nearest dealer is 1.3 hours away. Fine for a "B" bike like this that I don't use much, but for an "A" bike I put thousands of miles on and depend on for commuting to work, lack of dealer network is a real turnoff. (Else I'd be on a Norge right now).

-MKL

mainguzzi.jpg

Yep. I've got one of them too. He's right - it's the best of BMW and Harley, rolled into one. On paper, it's an underpowered, archaic tractor. In reality, it's the most fun bike I've ever ridden. If you don't fall in love with the sound and feel of a Guzzi twin within 1 mile, I suspect you are emotionally dead.

Then count me as emotionally dead. :rofl:

Sounds like a Buell.

Leaks/pukes oil like one too :rofl:

russell_bynum

Sounds like a Buell.

Leaks/pukes oil like one too :rofl:

:thumbsup:

Okay. I decided to stick my toe in the HD zeitgeist. I loaded the GT on my trailer and pulled 450 miles to Arkansas. Thought I'd start at the beginning. Stopped almost as many times as if I'd ridden, at first, to check tie-downs. Now we're at the hotel and dunno what to do. We're not cold nor hot, not tired, don't really need a shower, it's not supper time. Wait. We've been doing it wrong???

Yes, why?

I've known quite a few HD riders over the years, mostly in my Yamaha days. Used to hang out at a customer's house and get so much shit about my rice burner 750. It was good-natured, I ribbed them about all the oil leaks, we drank beer and ate burgers.

And admittedly I can't make heads or tails concerning the model designations. There's more letters there than in D.C.

The only difference I can see between them is that some have fairings and some don't. They all look like they were built in 1963, there's too much chrome, they seem to have trouble maintaining an idle and they are so freaking LOUD!!!!

And they are heavy and under powered. The new HD 750 review I read said it had 58 HP. My 1982 750 Yamaha had almost 70. Can't imagine how weak their new 500's will be, I'm guessing low 40's, i.e., dirt bike range. You'd think with numbers that low they'd get better MPG.

Let me sum it up thusly: If someone gave me a brand new, fully decked out, top of the line HD FMSFDGJDSVXR Ultra Butch, I'd sell it before the seat got warm in the FL summer sunshine and buy anything, and I mean ANYTHING, else. (Not like I have strong feelings about it though.)

But I think the comparison to tractors is unfair. To the tractors.

Thanks, I now feel vindicated. The silence from Whip is deafening. :P

Yes, why?

I've known quite a few HD riders over the years, mostly in my Yamaha days. Used to hang out at a customer's house and get so much shit about my rice burner 750. It was good-natured, I ribbed them about all the oil leaks, we drank beer and ate burgers.

And admittedly I can't make heads or tails concerning the model designations. There's more letters there than in D.C.

The only difference I can see between them is that some have fairings and some don't. They all look like they were built in 1963, there's too much chrome, they seem to have trouble maintaining an idle and they are so freaking LOUD!!!!

And they are heavy and under powered. The new HD 750 review I read said it had 58 HP. My 1982 750 Yamaha had almost 70. Can't imagine how weak their new 500's will be, I'm guessing low 40's, i.e., dirt bike range. You'd think with numbers that low they'd get better MPG.

Let me sum it up thusly: If someone gave me a brand new, fully decked out, top of the line HD FMSFDGJDSVXR Ultra Butch, I'd sell it before the seat got warm in the FL summer sunshine and buy anything, and I mean ANYTHING, else. (Not like I have strong feelings about it though.)

Glad to hear there's someone who thinks a bit like me.

My neighbor used to have two H-D. A V-Rod and something with no rear shocks and ridiculous ape bars. I've never seen him ride the V-Rod. Never: I knew he had it because I saw it in the garage but that's about it. But when he rode the other... it really made my day. It all started at 6AM or so on Sundays when he attempted turning it on. Took him about fifteen minutes each and every time. He then came back home very late at night with a thunderous sound.

Later he sold them both and bought one of the present models. Beats me if I know what it is (they all look the same to me), all I know is it is very quiet and it gives him no troubles turning it on. So I told myself "Perhaps H-D is now building modern bikes?" and went to test ride one. All I knew it was one of the 1200cc models. It made for an... interesting ride. The one thing that struck me the most were the brakes. I can honestly say I've never ridden a bike that takes so much to stop, even drum brake equipped 70's Suzuki's.

For the rest... if forced to buy something in that segment, I'd go for an Honda VTX in a heartbeat. No comparison. Better engine, better handling, more stable, more comfortable... only issue is it would really really need ABS since locking the wheels is far too easy.

I've gotten to the point I don't care who cleans who's clock. Ride your ride and screw the rest.

I'm with ya Ponch.

I've got a buddy that has been to every State in the US on his HD - riding, (no chase truck, no Posse) doesn't even own a trailer and never will. He just turned 98,000 miles and the bike hasnt had any problems at all.

Another Bud just rode his Ninja from VA to Glacier National Park and back - just to take a ride.

Just ride what you ride and enjoy the trip. Why waste time bashing other Brands or Riders? Our Beemers and Riders have been known to be a bit quirky too! :grin:

What am I supposed to say, it is a BMW site? I love all you folks.

..cept maybe....MY 1982 Seca 750 was faster than my 2005 RT and to this day I don't think Yamaha has had a FD failure. :)

...and anyone that rides a KTM will think the Beemers are like tractors so WTF?

...and like Russell said no matter what I ride some of you knuckleheads will not be able to keep up on Sweeper or 12. :)

I will report back after I spend a day on the 2015 RG. Till then??????

russell_bynum

What am I supposed to say, it is a BMW site? I love all you folks.

..cept maybe....MY 1982 Seca 750 was faster than my 2005 RT and to this day I don't think Yamaha has had a FD failure. :)

...and anyone that rides a KTM will think the Beemers are like tractors so WTF?

...and like Russell said no matter what I ride some of you knuckleheads will not be able to keep up on Sweeper or 12. :)

I will report back after I spend a day on the 2015 RG. Till then??????

It's pretty funny when people who ride BMW boxers talk about bikes that are "like tractors."

Baker used to spank sportbikes at the track...riding his GS.

Kieker took 2nd in the 2003 Butt Light on a VFR.

That d00d from NYC rode 100CCC (coast to coast to coast in 100 hours) 2-up on a Hayabusa.

It's the rider, not the machine.

I've gotten to the point I don't care who cleans who's clock. Ride your ride and screw the rest.

"In terms of the performance...that's far more about the rider than the bike anyway. When PhillyFlash and I did the Superbike School on Firebird's very tight track on our R1100RT's, we smoked more than a few kids on well-prepped sportbikes."

"I also remember running down some sportbike guys on a twisty road in AZ...on my DRZ400 on knobbies."

"And there's the story of that guy on the old airhead cleaning Sean Daly's clock (riding solo on his R1100RT) on the original Pied Piper run."

"Baker used to spank sportbikes at the track...riding his GS."

I've been in that camp a long time Ponch, which is not to say I don't enjoy a spirited ride chasing others when we are out for a small group ride, but to spank, smoke, and clean clocks is to assume the other riders are trying to do the same. That could be the case...or not... in which case you didn't spank, smoke, or clean any clocks. You just rode faster than the other rider.

russell_bynum

I've been in that camp a long time Ponch, which is not to say I don't enjoy a spirited ride chasing others when we are out for a small group ride, but to spank, smoke, and clean clocks is to assume the other riders are trying to do the same. That could be the case...or not... in which case you didn't spank, smoke, or clean any clocks. You just rode faster than the other rider.

Sounds like someone has a very clean clock.

I totally agree, BTW. It's just that I've heard more than my fair share of people bashing because it isn't enough. Meanwhile, someone's out there doing it.

I saw an old guy riding the country on a CBR600F4i once. He had that thing loaded down with saddlebags, tankbag, and tailbag. He was on week 6 of a multi-month tour and doing 400-600 mile days. But the touring guys say you need a Goldwing to tour. The kid on the R6 at Firebird needed rearsets and other mods because he was running out of ground clearance and didn't have enough power...meanwhile a couple of guys on bikes with less power and FAR less ground clearance are having him for lunch. People need a GS Adventure with two of everything Tourtech sells so that they can ride on a hard-packed dirt road....and Steve (Dances with Wiener dogs) is going places on an R1100RT that I'd be nervous about taking my DRZ400. The point is all of that "capability" stuff is more BS than anything else. Its just stuff we say to rationalize our irrational purchases.

Okay, I have a full HD report. I saw a number of them in Arkansas, and on the way to and from. Most were being ridden by pirates.

Suzanne and I did the whole HD thing: we trailered to Arkadelphia, which was GREAT!!!! All across the boring plains of Texas, the stinking Interstate traffic, in the comfort of our tow vehicle. Next morning we unloaded the bike without dropping it, and met up with Hansons. In keeping with the weekend's theme, JustJean followed us in her Highlander, and we rode slowly through the Ozarks to Mountain View, arriving in time for a nice nap before piling into the Highlander and riding luxuriously to a steak joint outside town. Uh, perhaps I should point out that riding slowly means we weren't going over a hundred most of the time, but rather ran about ten to twenty over the posted limits. Dave led. He had the same plan, but had more difficulty holding to it, zooming off, then accordioning back, repeat. Next day we met for breakfast at NINE! And rode maybe three hours, tops, at that same pace, had a nice nap, rode to the same steak joint in the Highlander for supper. Next morning we met a tiny bit earlier, and rode back down to Arkadelphia, where Dave and his bud Don helped me get the bike back on the trailer without dropping it, and we drove home to Austin in the tow vehicle, arriving, if not refreshed, not exhausted.

So:

Trailer, check.

Slower, check.

Chase vehicle, check.

Naps, check.

Essentially the HD experience without the HD or the pirate costumes. We had a wonderful time. However, I never saw, much less smelled, a rose, but at the new pace, I was able to smell every dead skunk (have you ever noticed how, when you smell a little skunk funk, you flare your nostrils and breathe in a little deeper?).

Now, I'm not endorsing the HD idea, I don't care what you ride, but the HD trip style, subject to some modifications, is very pleasant. This weekend I will go to the hill country with my regular riding buds, and it will be normal service resumed, pace-wise. I mean, really, slow all the time? I don't think so.

I'm selling the Kendon single bike trailer, by the way. Getting a two-bike version. New tires, lights, repacked bearings, 75mph no problem, hardly affected gas mileage.

Caveat: I live in the center of Texas. It's no less than 600 miles to get to good riding, no matter which direction; in some cases it's twice that. If you live in Colorado or someplace similar, you may not want to do the trailer thing.

Lagniappe: I've noticed this before: the U. S. really is suffering an epidemic of obesity, in some cases gargantuan obesity. I'm sure I'm not the only one to note that the toilet paper cartel has, without fanfare, made commercial TP much narrower as, well, as butts have gotten wider. Yet another example of corporate rapacity without regard to the public welfare. This was especially evident in Arkansas at gas stops. Arkansas may be the epicenter of the epidemic.

Mark,

All I got from your ride report is that you associate skunk funk with HD's, you sleep late, ride slow, and your arse is getting bigger.

Oh, and you got a new trailer.

I miss the old mark..... :cry:

Mark,

All I got from your ride report is that you associate skunk funk with HD's, you sleep late, ride slow, and your arse is getting bigger.

Oh, and you got a new trailer.

I miss the old mark..... :cry:

Yeah, you missed the mark all right, by a mile. Skunks have nothing to do with HD. Everyone ELSE'S arse is getting bigger. The Industrial part of the Military Industrial Complex, taking note, is taking advantage, and making TP narrower, requiring all the fata$$es to use more, thereby increasing unconscionable profits. Rapacious. And the trailer is old.

The 10 feet rolling on AND off of the trailer was highest heart rate sustained by me on the whole trip. It is amazing how helpless you feel when off of a motorcycle and pushing and shoving as opposed to riding it.

I do not always ride heavy, long, under-sprung bikes with wooden brakes. But when I do, I ride....

DragonUS129_20140526_zps6bc703c2.jpg

Although maintenance is nice and easy. Affordable riding as long as you keep it simple by choice; chrome don't get you home. Not too fierce on the pocket book as long as you avoid festooning the rig with ridiculousness. Character, yes (bike). Sometimes these machines can be really easy to deal with. Characters (persona, alternative lifestyles), YES.

I prefer to ride my RT over my Road King. Could be that I have been riding H-D for over 20 years and BMW (ownership) is relatively in infancy by comparison to me. I find that I use the H-D iron as a commuter bike. My BMW is my serious riding tool of choice.

Lagniappe: I've noticed this before: the U. S. really is suffering an epidemic of obesity, in some cases gargantuan obesity. I'm sure I'm not the only one to note that the toilet paper cartel has, without fanfare, made commercial TP much narrower as, well, as butts have gotten wider. Yet another example of corporate rapacity without regard to the public welfare. This was especially evident in Arkansas at gas stops. Arkansas may be the epicenter of the epidemic.

I became conscious of the US lardass epidemic a few years ago at a Cracker Barrel restaurant. They all offer an extra wide extension for their chairs to prevent butt cheeks from sagging over the sides. You can see these hanging by the child booster seats next to the kitchen doors. Question: Does the customer ask for this butt support or does the hostess offer it? Seems embarassing/offensive either way...

I became conscious of the US lardass epidemic a few years ago at a Cracker Barrel restaurant. They all offer an extra wide extension for their chairs to prevent butt cheeks from sagging over the sides. You can see these hanging by the child booster seats next to the kitchen doors. Question: Does the customer ask for this butt support or does the hostess offer it? Seems embarassing/offensive either way...

It seems that someone in the business of selling shower curtains and rods came to this same conclusion a few years ago also. That's the only reason I can come up for why the rods are all curved out to make the shower area wider, even though the tub has stayed the same width. :rofl:

It seems that someone in the business of selling shower curtains and rods came to this same conclusion a few years ago also. That's the only reason I can come up for why the rods are all curved out to make the shower area wider, even though the tub has stayed the same width. :rofl:

Glenn, there's actually an unrelated reason for the curved rods. You may recall that before that, you'd turn the shower on and the shower curtain would billow inwards. I believe it was a lady physicist who worked out the cause and the solution. I say "lady" not to be misogynistic, but to aid in your googling the genius person responsible for ridding mankind of the scourge of billowing curtains. I, for one, am grateful.

I started a new thread on the curved shower curtain rods here, so anyone who wants to continue the original discussion (BMW to Harley, for those who have lost track...) doesn't have to put up with knuckleheads like me who take the discussion in a completely different direction. :rofl:

Archived