IGNORED

Lift Handle and Panniers - '06 R1200RTP

RobinW

I got both shocks out of this cop bike for a rebuild and am looking at the pannier arrangement.

At some stage I'd like to get normal panniers fitted and replace the radio box with an aftermarket top box.

To fit the top box I have here I'd need outward opening panniers, not top opening.

It looks to me that if you remove all that scaffolding, a standard pair of panniers should clip right on.

But where is the lift handle.

Right now I'm using that front bar to lift the bike to the center stand.

Where is the normal lift handle on a standard R1200RT?

Panniers.jpg

Ahh Right, those run back to the rear rack, got ya.

Also found it needs a pannier holder which is a plastic bit that lives under the bodywork. Get your wallet out :)

Unless you want to ft a pillon seat why take the radio box off? The s/s ground plane/base plate has four large rubber grommets in it. If you remove these and cut a rectangle out using the gommet holes as rounded corners you will have a large and accessible storage space below for tools etc - this can be made even larger by removing some of the redundant supporting bracketry, cables and plastc connectors

Personally I much prefer the top opening, albeit lower volume, panniers to the expensive, and more vulnerable civilian ones. There are BMW Authority liner bags (briefcases almost) for the panniers - they come up on eBay from time to time

Unless you want to ft a pillon seat why take the radio box off? The s/s ground plane/base plate has four large rubber grommets in it. If you remove these and cut a rectangle out using the gommet holes as rounded corners you will have a large and accessible storage space below for tools etc - this can be made even larger by removing some of the redundant supporting bracketry, cables and plastc connectors

Personally I much prefer the top opening, albeit lower volume, panniers to the expensive, and more vulnerable civilian ones. There are BMW Authority liner bags (briefcases almost) for the panniers - they come up on eBay from time to time

I haven't looked that far yet, but I do have a top box here that a helmet plus will fit into. As it is it won't carry a lot of gear.

I'd like to keep it as a single seater, that halves rego fee's where I am. $240 a year instead of $500 :)

Guest Kakugo

Sorry for the delay but yesterday something came up... and it wasn't Michelle Ryan asking me out for a romantic dinner. ;)

Here's the picture:

DSCF2345_zpsa8cc76d0.jpg

Iif you want to keep it as a single seat bike you will have to keep the two small upholstered pieces as they act as retainers for the seat

One instant answer to fitting a top box to hold a helmet might be to simply remove the top box cover (one long pin and a couple of spring retainers) and attach the box to the previously mentioned base plate - 'tho I'm not sure of the resulting aesthetics, if any!

I had to remove those seat locks to get the rear shock preload adjuster out. There's a really good bike seat upholsterer near me (ergo motorcycle seats) who can do me a back rest too. I got him to fix the seat already and it's excellent. $180 for a rebuild, reusing the existing cover. The shocks should be ready tomorrow arvo but I didn't want to fiddle with the bike until they are back in. It's sort of balancing on a bike lift with a jack under the rear swingarm and a chock under the front wheel so as not to pull on the brake lines. Once it's stable again I'll pull that radio box for a look see.

Found a pair of those pannier rails off a crashed R1200ST. Same part number so there's one bit :)

I think I have it sorted. Motorworks can do a set of 2nd hand plain black panniers off an R1200ST for about $600 delivered to Oz, and this 42L top box will sit on the bike back to where the current radio box ends.

That leave a gap of about 200mm between the front of the top box and the rear of the seat locks. That's about the right size for a utility/tool box with a large hinged backrest as a cover.

Once it's sorted I'll do some pics.

• 1 month later...

After a long wait for bits I finally have a single seat tourer in the back yard and some pics.

I couldn't find a pair of 2nd hand panniers anywhere on the planet so I bought a new pair for an ST from moto24 and I received them from Germany this week.

These things weigh 10 Kilos each. That's 22 pounds a piece. They are heavy.

I used the plate from the radio box to mount the cheap arsed topbox and have some Stainless Steel rails in the mail to build a luggage tie down rack in front of the topbox.

The idea is use this area to strap down a tent, sleeping bag, swag etc.

I'll cover that section of the plate in front of the topbox with some new thin shinny metal to clean it up.

I also have a headrest from a car which fits behind the seat for a backrest. It still needs to be recovered in leather.

I'm also considering a pair of 2nd hand rear rails so I can remove that cop bike lift handle.

I also fitted new Wilber shocks and PR4 GT's, front and back while I was at it and dialed the shocks in today :thumbsup:

The left pannier has a solid heat shield under it. It's visible in the second image.

I was at the dealers today and none of the RT's there had heat shields under the panniers?

I would assume you really need one. It gets really hot down there.

topbox3.jpg

topbox4.jpg

Lets me get away with the boys again Lee :)

I've been missing the R1100RT but it was worth the effort, these bikes are in a different league.

My upholster suggested covering that plate with the same stuff used on the seat.

Sounds like a plan.

I also removed the 2nd battery etc. I now have a glove box with tools etc in it :)

What I need is a gps mount so my headset can pull music from it.

Archived