IGNORED

2014 RT after fixed shock

RTnger

Best bike I have ever owned and I've owned about 30 different bikes over the last 45 years of riding, I'm now 66 and this damn thing makes me feel young again and gives me a feeling of freedom, a sport touring bike thats fun to ride, yeah I said it, fun.

Hi bdfbeemer. you may not be concerned, but this was the O.P.

How are the 2014 holding out after the shock-o-rama? Anyone experienced any other problems with the 2014 RTs?

So while it is lovely that there are currently few problems and I agree that all mechanical things may glitch now and again, I am just highlighting that there are posts showing that owners are having a less than perfect day with their steeds.

Hi bdfbeemer. you may not be concerned, but this was the O.P.
How are the 2014 holding out after the shock-o-rama? Anyone experienced any other problems with the 2014 RTs?

So while it is lovely that there are currently few problems and I agree that all mechanical things may glitch now and again, I am just highlighting that there are posts showing that owners are having a less than perfect day with their steeds.

Point is I think it is an isolated event and will not condemn a great product yet. I feel for the op but you interjected the info as is it was a wide spread problem. Just saying....

Hi All,

I just picked up my 2014 "fixed in Germany prior to shipment" RT on Saturday. Took yesterday off to ride 300 miles. Doing it again Thursday. So far so good and I have been working it out in the hills. I'll do the Run-in Service on Monday and let you know what we find.

Jaqen H'ghar

Like others, my butt starts to hurt after about an hour, so a Corbin is next but other then that its been perfect the first 1300 miles, doesn't even use any oil either.

I feel like I'm still on a honeymoon with this bike. I have had it (my first RT) about 11 days now and at about 800 miles. I can't stop riding, fussing, or thinking about this machine. I am risking losing my wife and job at this point but I am not as concerned as I should probably be.

Perspective from owning and commuting with over the past 30 years:

Suzuki Savage, Honda Magna, BMW K75, Moto Guzzi LeMans, Yamaha FZR, Ural, Triumph Bonnie, BMW F650GS, and finally the water cooled BMW R1200RT.

I feel like I'm still on a honeymoon with this bike. I have had it (my first RT) about 11 days now and at about 800 miles. I can't stop riding, fussing, or thinking about this machine. I am risking losing my wife and job at this point but I am not as concerned as I should probably be.

Now, that's a happy place right there! :thumbsup:

Pat

Well, if you think that is bad, my new RT is sitting in my shop where I make a living. So instead of doing things I should be doing, I sit here and look at it and daydream about riding it. Customers will just have to wait for there clutches. Maybe I should move it to the garage in the house for a while?

Same now as before the shock replacement; I never stopped riding it. I have had trouble with the Navigator V release button sticking. Also, it doesn't start right up after sitting overnight and it is damp out. Other than that, it is the best bike I have ever owned. I think it has made me a better person, certainly a better rider.

• 1 month later...

All good news, I stumbled into a deal on one and am glad to hear the majority of owners are really happy with the new RT!

The only quirk I found during my test rides on a couple of them is that the clutch feels like its right at the end of the lever travel before the bike starts pulling. I'm sure its something that I'll get used to pretty quickly, but it's a bit challenging out there.

has anyone else noticed this?

All good news, I stumbled into a deal on one and am glad to hear the majority of owners are really happy with the new RT!

The only quirk I found during my test rides on a couple of them is that the clutch feels like its right at the end of the lever travel before the bike starts pulling. I'm sure its something that I'll get used to pretty quickly, but it's a bit challenging out there.

has anyone else noticed this?

I may not be a good choice to listen to, since I do adapt to different riding conditions very quickly. In any case, yes I had noticed that the release point is right at the very end, but you can adjust the lever position (as I did) by bringing it as close to the grip as possible. The release point will still be at the end of the travel, but it will be a lot closer to the grip so that you might find it more comfortable.

• 3 weeks later...

Coming up on 3,000 miles here also. No problems at all. It starts instantly even after a week sitting. The bike is getting sweeter as it breaks in more. Really awesome machine! Love it!

Freedom Outlaw

I had 4k on the bike before the DNR, got it back and had a fuel pump failure 8 days later. Problem solved, I've got over 6k on the bike now and it puts a smile on my face every time I throw a leg over it.

I can tell no difference whatsoever.

Hit 15,000 miles today.

Only thing was the low beam replaced at 7800 miles and new tires at 12,000. Metzlers off, PR4's on.

AD

Good for you 15,000 with a 3 month no ride that nice number! I don't know how you got 12,000 out of the OEM Metzlers, I had steel cord at 4,900. You guys with high mileage tires wear always make me feel bad...

Jay

Only thing so far 2500 miles is wind noise. Not really any bobble head just noise. Tried laminar lip yesterday for 150 mile ride and seems to help but weird when looking thru all the edges.

Hit 15,000 miles today.

Only thing was the low beam replaced at 7800 miles and new tires at 12,000. Metzlers off, PR4's on.

AD

Wow, I need to get busy. Hope to catch up to you by summer though and looks like my Metzlers will probably go 12K. I was very happy with PR3's on my Camhead and will definitely put PR4's on when the time comes. No issues with my bike whatsoever, only gripe is that the shock fiasco kinda killed resale on our 14's and I don't think rationalizing a $2500 check in my pocket helps that. Course resale is a mute point if you're planning on keeping this great bike, it only came home for me when I investigated trading for a 15 GSA so I could throw in some fire trails and such occasionally.

Sidebar: like many I had trouble with SIRIUS recognizing that my bike is entitled to 12 months of 'free' SIRIUS radio, to the point I was fed up with calling them. Mysteriously, in October they reset radio and sent me a e:mail that I had a full 12 months courtesy radio from that date! Somebody must have finally got the message to them, any ideas if BMW maybe shook their tree based on customer complaints?

Anybody else with 15K miles?

No issues with my bike whatsoever, only gripe is that the shock fiasco kinda killed resale on our 14's and I don't think rationalizing a $2500 check in my pocket helps that. Course resale is a mute point if you're planning on keeping this great bike, it only came home for me when I investigated trading for a 15 GSA so I could throw in some fire trails and such occasionally.

I still don't understand all the angst about the "recall" of our 2014. It was just a shock replacement, not a cracked frame!!

Besides, resale value is moot once you run past 100,000 miles and start looking around for the next new bike, especially if it's another RT!

Don't most RT people (not me) generally replace that shock anyway?

AD

I still don't understand all the angst about the "recall" of our 2014. It was just a shock replacement, not a cracked frame!!

Besides, resale value is moot once you run past 100,000 miles and start looking around for the next new bike, especially if it's another RT!

Don't most RT people (not me) generally replace that shock anyway?

AD

You make a great point. Shocks last what 30,000k or so? I understand some people never replace but I ride mine with some spirit and when the baby gets new shocks it's the best improvement you can do for the bike.

I'm not aware of any deep deprecation on the 14 I don't know anyone who would want to sell one, they should of done the buy back if so.

Jay

Archived