IGNORED

2014 R1200RT or 2012 Norge GT

Eric Murrell

It’s not often that I stop and take inventory of the differences between two different motorcycles. However, since I am now the owner of two versions of the same bike; a 2014 BMW R1200RT and a 2012 Moto Guzzi Norge GT, I find it necessary to write down my thoughts about these fine machines. It’s not difficult to understand these are both two capable machines. They find a way to get things done but feel quite different doing it. If I cut to the chase, I have to say that my preference is basically in how I feel on a given day. They both have numerous great and not so great points. It’s too bad the best of each can’t be melded into one bike that would be utopia!

Both of these bikes are sport-touring in nature and I wouldn’t be afraid to ride either one of them to either coast tomorrow, they just go about their mission their own way. It might even be accurate to say that the BMW takes the more efficient path (German) while the Guzzi the road less traveled (Italian).

Engine and Performance (+1 for BMW)

I won’t win any friends here but this is almost a tie for me. The BMW clearly has more power and grunt but it doesn’t sound well doing its job. It makes some 125 hp at 7,750 rpm (per BMW) and it feels believable. With 604 pounds of bike and fuel that is more than enough power to quicken your pulse and the BMW doesn’t disappoint. The torque rating is 92.5 lb-ft and your butt can confirm that’s not a lie. It makes you feel like it’s possible to roll on a little too much power but I don’t believe you really can. The power this bike has can inadvertently get one into trouble as you might find yourself going much faster than anticipated and having to make too much of an adjustment when you get there.

The Guzzi has an appropriate exhaust note and provides just the right amount of feedback given what’s going on. It makes the rider a part of the overall machine and happy they’ve taken the time to mount and ride. It is clearly down on power 102 hp at 7,000 rpm and slightly heavier 616 pounds fuelled. However, when riding the bikes back-to-back it feels like the difference in weight is significantly greater. The Guzzi feels more than 12 pounds heavier but that’s neither here nor there because the engine feels like it is more powerful than 23 hp down. The BMW will no doubt do a faster 0 – 60 mph than the Guzzi but the Guzzi will not be lost. It has what I call a sneaky hustle to it. It makes you cane the hell out of it because it gives you the impression it can more than handle it.

Transmission (+1 for Guzzi)

This is not even close for me. The Guzzi never misses a gear and is smooth as silk. It’s not that the BMW is clunky because it’s not, it’s just that the Guzzi is in another league. It feels like you just want to shift gears for the heck of it. While I wouldn’t recommend it, the transmission feels like it is made to be shifted with fine Italian loafers. It’s that good. The BMW shifts well but has a slight clunk when engaging first gear. Other than that, it gets the job done but without the alacrity of the Guzzi. There is a little ground made up on the clutch. The BMW has a significantly lighter clutch action and when riding in traffic this is clearly preferable.

Chassis and Handling (+1 for BMW)

The BMW is a little lighter as has been established but the bike feels almost light as a feather. This gives the impression you can take a corner much hotter than on other touring oriented bikes. It also lets to get into a corner hot and just adjust once you’re there. I love the way this bike feels when in any corner. On sweepers it’s just Katie bar the door. You can go as fast as your heart’s content. It will track true and just put a grin on your face.

The Guzzi is no bad handler. It feels like it’s much heavier than the RT. As a result, you can take a corner as fast as on the BMW but you must be focused when doing it. It isn’t a flick-able either so you have got to plan the execution of the maneuver ahead of time. You will find yourself matching the pace of the BMW but at the end of the ride you will be ready for a break. On sweepers it becomes more like a tie. The Guzzi will hold a line just as well as the BMW and because of the visceral feel of the engine, beg you to increase your speed.

Suspension (tie)

This is an area where people will want to ask me whether I’m crazy. The RT has BMW’s venerable ESA and it works great but what the BMW does electronically, the Guzzi will do, just manually. I have found that suspension settings are something that happens once and then you forget it. While it is clearly easier to manage this on the BMW, the Guzzi can be set up to feel fine for this rider. It has quality parts from Marzocchi and Sachs and feels every bit of it.

Brakes (tie)

Both of these bikes have calipers fashioned by Brembo and they will haul each bike down very quickly. They are both aided by ABS where the Guzzi’s is switchable. Both have 320 mm front rotors while the Guzzi has a slightly larger rear rotor (282mm vs. 276mm). I wouldn’t be afraid of a panic stop on either bike.

Ergonomics (tie)

These bikes are two versions of the same thing and fit this rider very comfortably. Cycle-ergo shows a significant difference between the ways these bikes fit a rider but this rider is equally comfortable on either bike. The two piece seat of the BMW makes itself known in a slightly awkward manner but it’s nothing to give a second thought about. You just notice it when aboard the bike. Both of the seats are all-day comfortable and the bikes offer the rider a standard touring riding posture with little to no weight on the wrists.

Instruments & Controls (+1 for BMW)

The BMW has the latest thinking in motorcycle dashes. It also uses their latest control knobs which work wonderfully. The Guzzi uses a dated design for the dash and controls. They date back to the original Breva 1100 in 2006. I know that Guzzi works on much smaller volume than BMW but they need to make an investment on staying with the pack in this area. The information is all there but not laid out as elegantly as the Italians no doubt can.

Attention to Detail (+1 for Guzzi)

The motorcycling press seems to think the new R1200RT is a class leader here but I completely disagree. The finish on the Norge GT is absolutely lustrous and beautiful. Moto Guzzi has figured out how to excel here and in my mind they clearly are ahead of the pack here. The only place where I would give ground to BMW is in the panniers. They are miles ahead of Guzzi and lock through the central locking system. They can’t be stolen and will accommodate similar amounts of stuff.

Value/Final Thoughts

These bikes are more about individual preference than better or worse. They are clearly two versions of the same thing and choosing between them is as individual as which pair of shoes you are going to wear today. The BMW will appeal to gadget freaks and those that need to have bragging rights. It clearly has more features available than a sport-touring bike as a right to. It all works well and has been integrated nicely. With the all-day comfort and great range you will just head out and lose yourself. The flickability of the bike will keep a smile on your face and super-slabbing it feel no worse. The Guzzi will hold the candle to any bike on the road. It takes a little more purpose to ride than the BMW but will still do everything the BMW will. It is down significantly on gadgets but Moto Guzzi never purported to be on the leading or bleeding edge of technology. It feels like a motorcycle should and offers an exclusivity that almost no other bike can match. It has all-day comfort just like the BMW and is rock solid reliable! The difference in MSRP of a loaded R1200RT and Norge GT is significant at over $5K. The choice will just be the preference of the person buying/riding. You can’t lose with either bike. With either you will be getting a first class steed and probably not see yourself on any given day riding. I say just strap on and have some fun.

Your observations are interesting. But as a non owner, but test ridden both. My input is considerable different. The Guzzi V twin I adore in terms of looks...but still it feels agricultural.

The fairing is a dissapointment in terms of protection. The area for hand and arm protection is a huge shortfall..all in the name of styling (which it has in spades). The gearbox is ok. Shifting is not even comparable when you factor in that wonderful shift assist of the BMW. Comfort?...mmm As stock I think the Guzzi might win here for me - again as stock. The seat just doesn't do it for me.

Lighting. BMW

Ergonomics. BMW.

Luggage - draw.

Braking - BMW

Styling (for looks only. Not the effectiveness) - Guzzi.

Handling - BMW

Hi Eric, apologies, I hadn't realised you had just joined. As Tewks says, welcome aboard!

Also, not being pushy, but please feel free to add a little more info to your profile page.

Being of Italian ancestry, I've always been drawn to Ducatis and Moto Guzzis. The thing for me is ergonomics: Most of them don't work and with the ducks, the desmo thing is a turn off. MGs seem pretty simple, a lot like the boxer, but with more of a HD sound. I'd be afraid the jugs would cook my legs/knees though.

A really great post, Eric. Thank you.

I've owned both BMW and Guzzi bikes. But I keep going back to BMW because they seem to fit my 6'4" frame better. It's mostly about leg room for me.

If the Norge fit me better, it'd be in my garage instead of the RT. Along with a Stelvio instead of a GSA.

Archived