IGNORED

After the Storm

Sharif

Sticks. Little, tiny sticks. Twigs really. You don't really notice them when you're driving around in a car, but they sure do have an impact when you're riding.

This week, we had a couple of days when big, nasty storms blew through town. Luckily, no major damage was done, no loss of life, no substantial damage to property. That said, it did blow down lots of little twigs, all over the place.

I got my first taste when I baked the FJR out of the garage. My driveway is steep, so I have to be careful when I'm turning around. I put my left foot down to hold the bike in place so I could fire the engine and start my day, when my foot slipped, just a little. Not enough to drop the bike, not even close. Just enough to make me think really hard about that little twig separating my foot from the driveway, causing an ever-so-slight roll in my ankle.

Off to work, gorgeous morning. Sunny, crisp, cool, perfect day. Rolling up to a stoplight, I put my feet down when...my left foot slips again. Not a big, sliding, jarring movement. Just a little slip. I look down, and sure enough, another twig. Again, no danger of dropping the bike, just a little reminder to be extra careful.

Just remember, after a storm blows through, or when you hit an area where storms have recently passed - watch for the sticks. Sometimes, it's the little things.

Be careful and alert out there.

Thanks for the reminder. I recently had a similar reminder on my bike. After a "gully washer" of a rain storm, I was riding along and a gravel/dirt driveway came down the hill in the center of a corner. Of course I entered the corner on good road and quickly saw the gravel/dirt spillage onto the roadway. No problems to avoid but had I been going faster - ouch.

After a summer T-storm (like tonite), I am extra cautious of sticks, tree parts and mounds of sand and stones washed into the road during my commute home. Yeah, it isn't a time to test any high speed skills.

• 1 month later...

Archived