IGNORED

R1200RT and others can rejoice (fuel strips)

PZP

Just received a letter from BMW Motorrad USA informing me that they will replace older failed fuel strips with new ones, and will retroactively guarantee them for 12 years from the date of the first retail sale of the bike. Further, they will reimburse expenses if you paid out of your pocket to replace one.

So, failed fuel strips: Beyond made right. Failed Fuel pump controller: redesigned & fixed. Failed Fuel pump flange: redesigned & recalled.

BMW Motorrad is Uber Alles!

Just received a letter from BMW Motorrad USA informing me that they will replace older failed fuel strips with new ones, and will retroactively guarantee them for 12 years from the date of the first retail sale of the bike. Further, they will reimburse expenses if you paid out of your pocket to replace one.

So, failed fuel strips: Beyond made right. Failed Fuel pump controller: redesigned & fixed. Failed Fuel pump flange: redesigned & recalled.

BMW Motorrad is Uber Alles!

Also, current handlebar replacement switches seem to be holding up OK.

Not hearing much about final drive failures lately, though U-joint disintegrations seem to be up.

Hi Larry

I had the LHS Switch combo fail on my 2014RT-LC.

It was just the ON/OFF lock switch of the cruise control which didn't feel right from day one.

Has been replaced and so far so good. Mine just felt like that it wasn't correctly assembled from day one.

So rather a "one Off" then a ongoing issue (at least at this stage).

Yes, there will always be some occasional defects in parts. There seemed to be a design issue with the 2010(?)-2013 switches that caused many problems, often in hot and/or wet conditions. Reports are that current generation replacements are more reliable. It's unfortunate that BMW has been so slow to correct many chronic problems, but they have improved a lot in the past year. I don't think the recent "stop ride" order would have been issued two years ago. Maybe the complaints and negative publicity (like this) have finally gotten through to someone who cares.

Yep got my letter a day or two ago. My strip sort of works. only shows full for the first 1/4 mile, then drops pretty quickly to half a tank. From half a tank on, it is dead on accurate, including low fuel light and count down miles. It was good enough that I didn't bother having it replaced, but now I will for sure since it isn't my money.

Now BMW, how about helping us with 2008 and later bikes with known FD issues???

malcolmblalock

Got my refund today; a little less than I paid, but I'm not complaining. Also got a new fuel pump today. I figure BMW has spent about $3,000 in warranties on my 09 RT so far (final drive, fuel pump controller, front rotors, fuel strip, and fuel pump).

I'm feeling better about BMW than I was a year ago.

If the strips keep failing will they keep replacing them in perpetuity? I'm guessing this letter gives them an out, and after 12 years you'll be on your own, without a working gas gauge.

If the strips keep failing will they keep replacing them in perpetuity? I'm guessing this letter gives them an out, and after 12 years you'll be on your own, without a working gas gauge.

LOL

Yes, after "12" years.. you would be on your own, like you would be with any other manufacturer.

Let us know what other manufacturer gives you a 12 year warranty.

I certainly don't know one.

Yes, after "12" years.. you would be on your own, like you would be with any other manufacturer.

Except you'll likely still be able to get the part if you want to fix it yourself.

LOL

Let us know what other manufacturer gives you a 12 year warranty.

I certainly don't know one.

The point being is that I know some who are into repeat failures of the strip, but they have a 2 warranty on parts. After 12 years will they still replace the failed strip if it's less that 2 yrs old?

The point being is that I know some who are into repeat failures of the strip, but they have a 2 warranty on parts. After 12 years will they still replace the failed strip if it's less that 2 yrs old?

What would happen:

Assumption:

After 12 years another strip fails.

Like your "bike warranty", you would have to pay for the next strip.

Then that strip you paid for will be covered by it's own 2 year part warranty and should the strip fail within that time, will be replaced as part of the "part warranty" at no cost to you.

The word is out that the strip has been improved and should be more reliable.

Only time will tell.

John. I called dealer and asked about warranty after the 12 years. They did not know and said to call BMW direct on that. Not going to bother and agree that probably will be 2 years like parts are now. Policy might change by then? Who knows.I just wished strips lasted longer. At least the bike runs good.

Got my refund today; a little less than I paid, but I'm not complaining. Also got a new fuel pump today. I figure BMW has spent about $3,000 in warranties on my 09 RT so far (final drive, fuel pump controller, front rotors, fuel strip, and fuel pump).

I'm feeling better about BMW than I was a year ago.

Been entertaining thoughts of selling my '04 RT and replacing it with the '14 model. I like the 1200 motor in my GS but after the above statement, I'm not so sure. Why would a final drive be bad, why rotors, pump controller and so on. My fuel gauge on the GS hasn't worked properly since new and after two replacements it's still doing the hold steady and dip to 1/4 so I gave up on it and go by mileage.

• 2 weeks later...

My gauge has consistently read 50 miles too low since I bought the bike 2 years ago ('07 RT). Got a replacement strip 2 weeks ago under this new warranty and for the first time I have a dead-on accurate gauge. My warning light no longer comes on with 100 miles of fuel left.

• 3 months later...
Rossy GlosPolBiker

PZP,

I have read your post with interest concerning BMW USA stating they will warranty the fuel strips for 12 years.

In the UK all we have is 24 months and they state that the 12 years warranty is not correct.

May I ask, could you scan or attach a copy of your letter to me please so I can show BMW UK it is correct and true??

Regards

Rossy

They have NOT extended the warranty to 12 years down here either. Motorad HQ in Melbourne simply avoid answering direct questions about the issue and just quote outstanding recalls. Dealers want AU$400 to replace the strip.

PZP,

I have read your post with interest concerning BMW USA stating they will warranty the fuel strips for 12 years.

In the UK all we have is 24 months and they state that the 12 years warranty is not correct.

May I ask, could you scan or attach a copy of your letter to me please so I can show BMW UK it is correct and true??

Regards

Rossy

Morning Rossy

Letter--click here

Guest Kakugo
PZP,

Regards

Rossy

By experience with European BMW subsidiaries.

You have two courses of action.

First, if your dealer is sympathetic (like mine usually is) you can sit down and have a talk with them. Usually they can get you a "goodwill repair": BMW pays for parts and you pay for labor. Other times you can get a hefty rebate on repairs. This varies according to dealer. This is usually the case when "lifetime components" fail.

Second is kicking up a fuss. Nobody likes that, but when manufacturers treat customers on one market one way and those on another like posing chairs and expect to get away with it...

Make a copy of that letter DR provided and send it to the local BMW subsidiary asking for explanations. Not excuses: explanations on why the same problem is tackled one way on one market and one way in another. The best way is either through email with proof of receipt or signed for mail.

If you can get more Hexhead/early Camhead owners to write them along the same lines, all the better.

Then wait for a reply. If it's not forthcoming or if it's written in a political language, contact a few big bike magazines and let them know.

• 1 month later...

I'm a little late to this discussion, but is there a listing of VIN numbers for which bikes are covered by this? We have two 2007 RT-P's that currently have broken fuel gauges. One bike has had the fuel strip replaced seven times and the other has had two or three times. The City stopped paying for the repair since the gauges only lasted about 1.5 years.

When the bike with seven fixes was first put into service, brand new, the gauge broke within 10 days. He continued to break periodically thereafter. One of the reasons we are now trying Harley Davidson Police bikes.

I'm a little late to this discussion, but is there a listing of VIN numbers for which bikes are covered by this? We have two 2007 RT-P's that currently have broken fuel gauges. One bike has had the fuel strip replaced seven times and the other has had two or three times. The City stopped paying for the repair since the gauges only lasted about 1.5 years.

When the bike with seven fixes was first put into service, brand new, the gauge broke within 10 days. He continued to break periodically thereafter. One of the reasons we are now trying Harley Davidson Police bikes.

Afternoon BailyD

You really should contact your selling BMW dealer or BMWNA. My BMW letter says 12 years from date motorcycle was put in service but no mention of commercial vehicle qualifier or police duty.

In any case, you REALLY should contact BMW, as they are not only extending the fuel strip warranty but they are also reimbursing owners for previous repairs (not sure how this effects commercial vehicles though)

Thanks Dirtrider. When mine went out 10 days after rolling off of the BMW dealer trailer we were pretty upset. We argued the replacement after the warranty expired, but they said "NO!"

I think I'm going to call them next week and try again. "Come on....SEVEN times!!!"

I'm amazed that they can't get to the root of the problem rather than just continuing to replace the part.

What surprises me is that some bikes eat fuel strips like candy while others don't have any problem. My 07 RT had the original fuel strip when I traded it in with 140k miles. My 2011 RT with 78k miles, still has the same strip it had when I bought it slightly used with 1800 miles on it.

duckbubbles

Chances are that your '11 RT has a float system. My '05 ST did almost 8 years and 60K mi. with nary a problem with the strip. It also came calibrated very well from the factory.

Frank

I'm amazed that they can't get to the root of the problem rather than just continuing to replace the part.

What surprises me is that some bikes eat fuel strips like candy while others don't have any problem. My 07 RT had the original fuel strip when I traded it in with 140k miles. My 2011 RT with 78k miles, still has the same strip it had when I bought it slightly used with 1800 miles on it.

My '09 RT fuel strip worked great for four+ years and 42K miles. Two years and 27K miles later I'm on replacement number three (four total) and it hasn't worked right since the day it was installed, over a year ago. I just haven't felt the compelling need to get it fixed again, but I will.

JayJay

Chances are that your '11 RT has a float system. My '05 ST did almost 8 years and 60K mi. with nary a problem with the strip. It also came calibrated very well from the factory.

Frank

OK, the 2011 might have a float but the 2007 definitely had the strip. I know of other high mileage bikes in the 05 to 09 model years without strip peoblems

Thanks guys. Without this board I would not have known to ask.. The dealer just changed the strip and the fuel pump on my 2006rt...free.. I bought the bike in October and had no clue what was wrong.

Looks like warrantee is still covering fuel strips 9 years later.

Is there any consensus what might be possibly the culprit or condition causing these strips to fail? I think I did read that ethanol in fuel is eating them?

Archived