IGNORED

The Official 2014 College Football Thread

tallman

Coaches Poll out, top 6 remain the same.

Some big movers behind there.

But go figure, Virginia Tech beats Ohio State, at OSU.

OSU ranked one spot higher that Va Tech....

:dopeslap:

AP poll fixes OSU VA Tech ranking Hokies higher and

has Oregon jumping 'Bama to #2.

Unusual, 'Bama shuts out opponent,

Granted a weak team and Oregon beat Michigan State, but based on

OSU's loss and Michigan's shellacking by ND, is beating a Big 10 team at home worthy of jumping 'Bama?

Don't think so.

Waiting to see the highlights from the Nebraska game :Cool:

Well, that last run by Abdula was highlight worthy. Too bad we needed it to win the game. At least it goes down in the win column. In a few weeks we'll forget all about it...

Old news - I couldn't believe that Pelini got a contract extension after last season. I really thought Pelini and UNL would part ways after that season and all his hostility with the fans and media. Here's hoping for a great season to make us glad he's still here.

In a few weeks we'll forget all about it...

I still haven't forgotten about that game at Mizzou in '97 where the Nebraska receiver miraculously caught a pass that bounced up from his legs as he sat in the end zone. That play kept the Corn Huskers undefeated and therefore a share of the National Title with Michigan.

Wow, I remember when both Nebraska and Michigan shared National Titles. Was there even an SEC back then? I don't think Alabama had a football team :grin: Man I feel old :Cool:

Oh yeah, we remember it as "The Miracle in Missouri" with fond hearts and a firm knowledge that God loves the Huskers.

You may experience a different emotion. :wave:

The guy who caught that pass is Matt Davison. He grew up about 40 miles away from me. He is now the color commentator for Husker games and does quite a bit of media.

Wow, I remember when both Nebraska and Michigan shared National Titles. Was there even an SEC back then? I don't think Alabama had a football team :grin: Man I feel old :Cool:

From Wikipedia;

The 1997 Alabama Crimson Tide football team represented the University of Alabama in the college football season of 1997–98. The team's head coach was Mike DuBose, who was entering his first year at Alabama. They played their home games at both Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa and Legion Field in Birmingham, Alabama and competed in the West Division of the Southeastern Conference. Alabama would finish with a record of 4–7 record in suffering the program's first losing season since the 1984 season. The loss against Kentucky marked Alabama's first ever overtime game, as overtime rules for college football had gone into effect the previous season.

4-7 with a loss to Kentucky? No, Alabama didn't have a football team that year. :P

#6 Ga goes down to #21 SC.

#22 OSU attempts to make a statement against Kent St. Really?

Bama doinks around with Southern Miss, then puts it away in the second half.

Fl in a shootout with Ky? I was hoping for more out of the Gators in anticipation of next week in T-town. Guess not.

'Noles are winning as usual. Oh, wait...they didn't play anyone today. Wonder whom is not in jail tonight. :grin:

I am still reeling over USC's loss at BC.

I'm pleased SC beat Georgia. Never was a Georgia fan.

Oh, and in other news, Michigan actually won today, although the game was pathetically close until the 2nd half. Good grief, this is going to be a painful season for me.

And Virginia Tech! Huh?!

SC v Ga :thumbsup:

Florida?

Too bad the refs can't see the clock or a horn sounds.

Definitely hit zero on play clock before TD pass on 4th and seven.

Now the Gators may have scored again or made a first down, but the refs missed that one.

Would have been a play of the "X" if they came back a second time on fourth down.

As it is, well, they win.

:)

Former FSU QB Clint Trickett has huge game in W Va win.

:clap:

Former FSU QB Jake Coker seems to have pushed 'Bama's #1 QB enough to make him better, you're welcome Danny.

:grin:

BC beating USC. UCLA losing QB, Stanford already lost, looks like Oregon is the west coast class for sure.

Va Tech losing after beating Ohhioh fake, just how bad is dem buckeyes?

Or is it a sign of parity outside the top 6-10 programs?

LSU hasn't played anyone yet, can they be for real?

Oklahoma State dominates, QB looks fab again, are they a contender?

Texas A&M is.

Clemson to go fall next week, Go Noles!

Former FSU QB Clint Trickett has huge game in W Va win.

:clap:

Former FSU QB Jake Coker seems to have pushed 'Bama's #1 QB enough to make him better, you're welcome Danny.

I wonder why all these great qb's are fleeing Tallahassee. Maybe for better parole opportunities ?

:lurk:

Excuse me Tim but LSU owns one of the best victories thus far in this young season - opening weekend over the Badgers. That being said, Tigers are doing great for what we are, young and inexperienced. We've had the most NFL draftees for the last two years of any team. I might add that means two things; (1) we have more players in the NFL than any other school as of opening day and (2) our cupboards were left in severe need of rebuilding. We will lose multiple games. I get that.

What I find of note this week is not that 5 of the top 10 teams are SEC. What's incredible to me is that 5 of the top 10 are from the same division - the SEC WESTERN DIVISION. Standing by for incoming...

I went to the Bama game yesterday as they hammered Southern Miss. The game was only a very small part of the day. There were about 100,000 people walking around campus all day. They call it tail gaiting but it is actually just hundreds of pop up tents set up anywhere there was space and just a huge party. TVs set up and people just watching the game from there.

We had a great time.

Danny, Danny, Danny,

'Bama still leads in arrests this year 4-3 and in dismissals from team 4-1.

:lurk:

Just shows how good a QB recruiter JImbo is, we've got plenty to share.

Rankings? For certain SEC West is dominating and right now look great.

Problem is still examples of teams getting whooped like USC or Georgia that are higher than teams that beat them or even still ranked at all.

And OSU? pooleaze, Kent State would lose an intra-squad game.

Wisconsin. don't they play in that Big 10/11/12 or whatever conference that has had all of their top teams lose out of conference games so far?

They might not even have a one loss champion at the end of the year let alone an unbeaten.

:wave:

So let the SEC west play single elimination games all year and send their best to the SEC championship game.

It will be an excellent team and formidable opponent.

All the runners up in the west can sit down and watch the playoffs.

If they had any sense they'd start their own conference and leave the SEC east adrift.

:rofl:

Gotta love college games, Steve, GAme Day here this week,

Go Noles!

What a dumb pluck.

No, not you, Jameis.

Stupid doesn't explain it.

What a dumb pluck.

Don't care the why, internet meme, whatever, and no I haven't seen the video.

Don't have to.

What a dumb pluck.

Letting down an entire team, university, and fan base.

What a dumb pluck.

I have confidence that our back up will shine and our team will beat Clemson.

But what a dumb pluck.

The fallout, and eventual cost to him financially makes you

wonder...

what a dumb pluck.

I would've sat him longer, he ain't getting it.

What a dumb pluck.

Go Noles!

Team is bigger than one person.

I waited for your response before jumping on the inevitable dog pile. Good on you for not defending him.

But, half a game? Really? This'll bite Jimbo too, as it should. With the spot light on domestic abuse in the NFL, this is a huge invitation to bring same spot light to the collegiate level. Seems to me Jimbo is hoping they'll stay close enough to Clemson that that Mr. Bigmouth can pull out a win.

Low class all around.

Agreed with you twice today Danny, and I always agree with Tim. The only way to feel good about a win over Clemson on Saturday is if Jameis ain't part of it. Half a game is pathetic. Game Day will definitely be talking about this, and their spotlights will be glaring.

Tim..i've got no dog in this fight, but mr winston needs help. he should be sitting for way more than a half and possibly more than one game.

i understand he's young and so immature, but when will his lack of common sense or right and wrong develop?

Brian, agreed.

In reality, first amendment and all that yada yada he wasn't arrested or cited in any way.

But for the collective sum of his actions he should get hammered.

Town is tired of the negative choices.

Sit him for (ever?)

But, due process etc. really nothing to pin on him other than being an idiot so one could argue no punishment was mandated.

Just commenting, not advocating.

Our back ups have all moved on to lesser programs like WVU and 'Bama ;)

so we'll throw our fourth stringer out and support his play.

Go Noles!

Thanks.

'Bama vs UF could be a game?

Gators much improved?

Or is it this year's Bamacomingoutparty?

Backlash will hammer us in the polls even if we win.

Maybe we get way ahead and win big w/out JW coming off bench, that would help.

Auburn dodges a big one, 7 trips by KState inside the 30, three missed fg's and a TD pass that rebounds into an INT.

Time to focus on the play on the field.

Go Noles!

Maybe longer...

we'll see.

He's a kid, know plenty who have dealt with him, arrives early signs aoutgraphs, pleasant, cordial, works in class.

But, has the frontal lobe of a 13 yo boy, impulsive and unfiltered.

Not excusing at all, but that seems to be the consensus more than a thug mentality.

Sean wii do just fine tonight.

Team will play like a team with their ability should.

I think removing question of his participation will allow everyone to focus on their job and beating Clemson.

Go Noles!

I don't see JW as a thug. Simply a very immature young man that has the chance to greatly benefit from counseling.

His hopeful repeat of a Heisman winner is gone, though. IMO.

Almost forgot that I haven't said it yet this season...

ROLL TIDE!!!

Danny,

Frankly I was very surprised he won last year despite the incredible statistics.

Counselling works when motivated.

Don't know he'll get there until he is properly motivated.

Anyone heard from Matt?

I think the Gr8tors play today?????

Matt's coming over in a little while to feast on ribs & suffer through the game.

Today is his first day allowed back on board.

The game this afternoon, I believe, will come down to the matchup between Cooper/Hargraves. Cooper is easily the best receiver in all of college football, & Hargraves is a conerback to be reckoned with. That said, Simms has to be on target every time.

I've been thinking all week that this would be a game. Now I think it just might be ugly. Although I'm have enough experience to know better than bank on one play.

We'll see. :lurk:

Don't know what you all see in this sport. Sucks royally if you ask me. Used to be fun to watch, but no more. And today is a particularly sad day to watch college football.

Hoping that rain delay never ends... :cry:

Oregon barely quacks out a victory, Auburn dodges a loss, LSU falls at home to unranked, SCarolina edges a team Temple crushed, Mizzou louzes, East Carolina crushes North Carolina (where will that coach end up next year?)

How bad is Ohio State w/out starting QB?

Va Tech beats them there, then loses 2 in a row at home???

So Urban Myers decides to move the spolight from team to himself by talking about Ambiens and beers to self medicate his depression caused by being the coach at Florida?

WTF?

We can relate to playing w/out starter.

'Bama v Texas A&M October 18th

FSU v Notre Dame October 18th

should be a good day

'Bama still has LSU and Miss St among others so they will be challenged but derserving to contend for title if the winn all those and the SEC

Oregon still controls destiny as we do also...

gotta love college football!

Sorry 'bout Mishmashagain losing, James.

Stanford struggles, A&M too.

We lose first quarter 24-7 then win last 3 quarters 49-14.

This year's D not where last year's was, but so what?

Team finding way to win.

Twenty in a row...

should win next two and be 6-0 when ND comes to town.

Go Noles!

Marshagan's season was over when ND shut them out. I hardly pay them any attention any more. I wonder how they've done since then? I imagine they rebounded quite nicely :cry: See? Now you have me crying again...

a win is a win.

perception

Oregon struggles w/Washington, needs a bad call at end of game to escape w/7pt win.

We turn it over 3x leading to 20 points :(

yet turn it around, seize control, win by 15.

Both games on the road but we're playing in a venue that has been bad to us last 5 trips.

Washington hasn't beaten or been w/in 17 points of Oregon since 2003.

Yet, they pick up points in the poll.

Not claiming we are as dominant as last year, yet...

but we are scoring points and making plays when we have to.

Still a lot of potential, some others are playing as well as they will the whole year.

Oregon for example, returning multi-year QB and they are playing as well as they can.

Alabama has put up more yards then ever, can they keep getting better?

Scary thouht.

Oklahoma. still has a couple big games to show they are real.

Auburn?

Already close games, they probably have room to improve.

Mizzou?

Definitely.

UCLA?

Yep.

And so on until we're @ week 7 when we'll have a much better idea end of day.

Go Noles!

Archived