IGNORED

Can BMW dealers check recall status without your bike

GrahamB

Hi all,

The afternoon of the day I sold my 1200 GSA, after riding around 100 klms, the new owner discovered a leak at the fuel pump coupling (the coupling had split at the tank). The bike had had its 100,000k service just a couple of weeks before and no problems were reported. Naturally, he's a bit pissed off that his plans have to be changed to wait for parts to get it fixed (he's from Townsville and I'm in Brisbane abou 1,000klm away).

When the new owner took it to another dealer to get the leak fixed, their system reported that there were actually 5 outstanding recalls/notices for that bike. One of which was a fix for the fuel pump coupling. Now I'm pissed off that it wasn't fixed when they had it.

Naturally, I called my dealer to ask why they hadn't applied the recalls when it was in for a service. His reply was that their internet wasn't working that day and so when they hooked the bike up to the diagnostic computer, it couldn't connect back to Germany and get the recalls for the bike. Evidently, (he says) there is no way to check recall status for a bike if it isn't attached to the computer AND there is a working internet connection AND the system in Germany is on line.

I would have thought that if a dealer has a VIN number they should be able to check somewhere the status of the recalls for that bike. If they can't then it's a pretty stupid system. My feeling is that there is a way, just my dealer just doesn't know how.

So the question is, does anybody here know if it is possible to check recall statuses given just the VIN and not have the actual bike in the workshop connected to the computer AND etc... ?

I've asked this same question of BMW Oz, but I'd like to hear the general experience on this.

Thanks,

Graham

Guest Kakugo

Don't know how it works Down Under, but here dealers can check everything using the VIN. For the local market they can even check by owner's name and (I think) license plate.

However bear in mind we are near enough to Munich to go there for lunch and beer. ;)

In the US, it's done by VIN on the BMW Centernet Dealer only Website.

It shows the original purchase date, what dealership, list of already performed warranty and recalls performed and at what dealership.

Outstanding recalls and outstanding TSB updates. These are even shown on bikes many years old.

We had a Airhead come in once that was supposed to get a new front wheel for some reason and over the years, it never went back to a dealer or no one checked. We ordered the new wheel and BMW paid the claim.

Most dealerships check every bike that comes in for open campaigns and recalls.

It's additional revenue to do the work paid for by BMW and gets the customer a safer, sometimes better running bike.

My 96000 Rt had the fuel flange fix at last service and just today the 2007 R1200r went in for a 18000 mile service. While I was standing at the service desk Dave entered the vin number in from the service book and then said that the fuel flange fix needs to be done.

So, here in the uk they dont need to plug the bike in. Its all on a database somewhere. Maybe they couldn"t log on to the database one day but if they should found out when they eventually logged on to input all the data for that day.

We had a Airhead come in once that was supposed to get a new front wheel for some reason and over the years, it never went back to a dealer or no one checked. We ordered the new wheel and BMW paid the claim.

/mild side trip: Somewhere around 1980, BMW discovered a cracking problem with the (then) relatively new snowflake cast wheels, and issued a recall (not a mere "service campaign") to exchange every last one of them with updated snowflakes having additional reinforcing ribs on the spokes that radiate out from the hub (hard to see, as they are behind the discs). I was told that due to the recall status, BMW will continue to replace the old snowflakes forever, whenever they show up.

Thanks for your replies. I figured that it was possible, but without evidence it's a bit hard to put your case forcefully. I've emailed BMW Oz with the details. (including the dealers name) to see whether they have the same story as the dealer.

We'll see what their response is (if anything). If it's ignorance or a mistake by the dealer then that's one thing, but if they're lying then that's a whole different ball game.

Graham

Hi all, again.

I just received a phone call from BMW Group Headquarters in Melbourne to express their concern and to apologise that I was not informed that the recalls were outstanding on the bike.

They said that they take any safety recall very seriously and have spoken at some length to all the service staff at the dealer to emphasise this. They were dismayed that the service personnel didn't do a better job in chasing up the recall status for the bike.

They also confirmed that I was given the wrong information from the service manager and that there is any number of ways to determine whether a bike has recalls outstanding which don't need the bike to be in the shop. Even, as a last resort, having the service persons call HO to check.

I'm satisfied that it has been handled correctly by BMW and so I won't be naming the dealer.

Graham

Let me guess, the dealer is more interested in their Harley dealership across the road :)

Graham, How did you contact Motorrad head office? I can't find a contact and I'm trying to determine if the 12 year extended warranty on R1200 fuel strips is current in Australia as it is in the UK and the USA. Both Brisbane dealerships will not commit.

Hi Robin,

You should not assume it was the dealer who you suggest.

I tried to find a Motorrad specific contact, but couldn't so I contacted BMW Group headquarters in Victoria through their phone number and the person who answered said to send my email to info@bmw.com.au (I received an acknowledgement from cicinfo@bmwgroup.com.au).

You could try just ringing if you want a quick answer or email if you want it in writing.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to tie this off, I have been emailing BMW head office and the fuel strip 12 year warranty does not exist in Australia. I was told my bike needs a fuel pump recall performed and that's it. I'll have to fork up $400 to replace the fuel strip.

I can't even buy one from the UK as they are a warranty item and non of my usual suppliers carry them so I can do it myself. hnnnn.

Archived